GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 19 18, 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: September 27 17, 2:38 pm 
Mayor of GRB

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
If it wasn't clear, that does come as a surprise to me. Especially that Pitino would come around himself.

Oh, believe me, I know. I was surprised when I heard it. But that one player must have been a handful, and that may have necessitated the extra attention--and ultimately, his removal from the program.

And to be clear, grad assistants and others were doing most of the checking. But he did show up when he had to.

I've taught a few players from different sports and activities, including baseball, volleyball, swimming, men's soccer, track, field hockey, and even cheerleading. None of their coaches ever showed up, but none had to--all of the students were great.

PostPosted: September 27 17, 2:48 pm 
Perennial All-Star

To be fair there's no shoe money in swimming

PostPosted: September 27 17, 4:15 pm 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

sighyoung wrote:

Charlie Strong made sure his football players were in class, too, but Bobby Petrino couldn't care less. Nevertheless, the graduation rates have stayed steady. I don't know what the players are taking, though.

I have a story from a guy who was a GA under Petrino at Arkansas. One Saturday, Arkansas played on CBS and a player had received some sort of mention for being an outstanding STUDENT-athlete. Had a 4.0 iirc, honors, whatever. The GA had submitted him as part of the programming or whatever they do for the media to help highlight certain things.

Anyway, a couple weeks later, the student is walking through the locker room and says hey to the GA; Petrino is standing a few feet away as well. As the student walks by Petrino asks the GA who the player was. GA tells him and how he was highlighted on CBS and everything. Petrino just goes...."looks like a big ball of suck to me" and walks away.

I don't find it hard at all to believe Petrino couldn't give two [expletive] about his players and especially about their academic well-being.

PostPosted: September 27 17, 6:17 pm 
Mayor of GRB

PostPosted: September 27 17, 7:59 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

sighyoung wrote:
Don't worry, Louisville hasn't fired me yet. Hold on. There's a knock on the door. Let me

We expect a lot more gifs

PostPosted: September 27 17, 10:13 pm 
Mayor of GRB

Freed Roger wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
Don't worry, Louisville hasn't fired me yet. Hold on. There's a knock on the door. Let me

We expect a lot more gifs

PostPosted: September 28 17, 8:00 am 
Mayor of GRB

PostPosted: September 28 17, 12:24 pm 
Mayor of GRB

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20848092/louisville-cardinals-basketball-coach-rick-pitino-coach-2-federal-complaint-source

He was a scuzzbucket on the rampage.

Side note: I usually park in the lot right next to that practice facility. I can't even get into the lot with all the media vans around the area.

PostPosted: September 28 17, 1:20 pm 
-go birds

now that nike is being subpoena'd i cant wait to see upon whom that hammer falls

PostPosted: September 28 17, 1:59 pm 
Mayor of GRB

The college basketball sewer is backing up, and what we see won't be pretty.

On the bright side, Colgate might win its first NCAA championship in a couple of years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next