2018 Winter Olympics

A forum for non-baseball sports
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics

Post by tlombard »

Curling just got better. The curler is Matt Hamilton for the US. He Tweeted this picture with the caption, "Spot the difference" or something like that. He also Tweeted the picture of him with the tail and ears saying that he found a power up and is ready to take on China in their match. This guy is awesome.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

tlombard wrote:Curling just got better. The curler is Matt Hamilton for the US. He Tweeted this picture with the caption, "Spot the difference" or something like that. He also Tweeted the picture of him with the tail and ears saying that he found a power up and is ready to take on China in their match. This guy is awesome.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Meanwhile Hirano from Japan got a 95 to go ahead of White.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Radbird wrote: Meanwhile Hirano from Japan got a 95 to go ahead of White.
And then White crushed a 97 to pass him for Gold on his final run.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Has anybody heard what his injuries are? I'm pretty sure he broke his ass in five places with that crash.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

tlombard wrote:
Has anybody heard what his injuries are? I'm pretty sure he broke his ass in five places with that crash.
It's been confirmed: Pentagonal Ass Break.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm becoming a fan of the guy from Tonga who carried the flag for Tonga in the Summer and now Winter Olympics. I guess he picked up cross country skiing about a year ago and managed to qualify for the Olympics. He really exemplifies the spirit of the Olympics and amateur competition in my eyes. He also seems to have a great sense of humor. When asked if he'd been able to talk to others and pick up some tips he laughed and said, "By the time you get to the finish line, they've already gone home, had coffee, had dinner and gone to sleep — so you don't have much time to talk to them"

When asked about the 15km race he has coming up he commented, "The 15K has never been kind to me, we have this love-hate, hate-hate relationship actually," he said. "All of my qualifying points have been in the 10K, which is sort of at the limit of my ability."

He also said he might try and pick up a different sport for the Summer Olympics in 2020 (he lost his first Judo match 19-1 in the last games) and said maybe something with water. Apparently he spent almost all of his money to be able to train and travel enough to get the points necessary to qualify for these Olympics so if there is a GoFundMe to help him finance what he needs to pick up another sport before the next Summer Games, I'll chip in just to see if he can do it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

look at this epic halfpipe run bro! she's gettin all the airs

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Not sure what was Olympic about that. Same, I don't get what's so Olympic about a dude from an island country that strapped on skis for the first time this year.

That snowboarder that won the skiing Super G Gold OTOH was awesome.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Fun fact: Lindsey Vonn was born and raised in the Twin Cities, and grew up skiing at the same park that Mrs. Swirls and I go skiing at, Buck Hill.