2018 Golf - Tiger Returns!

A forum for non-baseball sports
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2018 Golf - Tiger Returns!

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:What Tiger did yesterday was awesome, glad to see him back and physically able to compete. That 9 iron he hit on 9 is a vintage Tiger shot that I'm guessing few can pull off. Further his putting was vintage Tiger and he was able to make those 5-10 footers when he needed to which is something few talk about but - again, I'm guessing - he really had been struggling with.

Also, what Koepka did was equally impressive. A 64 to close out another major this year. Winning 3 of the last 6 majors he's been in. Dude looked like a robot in the face of some serious pressure from Thomas, Woods, and Scott. It was overshadowed by Tiger's round, but in a vacuum, what Koepka just pulled off is incredible.
I believe he shot 66 to Tiger's 64. But man, listening to those Tiger roars all day would have tested anyone but Koepka tuned it all out.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2018/8/13 ... -bellerive

The PGA Championship was imperfect, but Tiger Woods and St. Louis made it unforgettable
“How the f*** is Tiger doing?”

This is not an unexpected shout toward anyone with a red media lanyard on Sunday — there’s something of a leaderboard shortage on the grounds. An older, white-haired woman ripping cigarettes and swearing from several feet away intrigues me, so I stop to chat. My short update on the day’s main act leads to talk about the venue, the city, the field. She’s heard the chatter that maybe the PGA shouldn’t be here. I ask her if it bothers her, a lifelong St. Louisian, to hear such complaints.

“Ahh, hell, let ‘em think what they want. Cards are out of town. Gonna be so many people here today they’ll forget about that real fast. This is a sports town like you’ve never seen.”
From there, we entered catharsis. Tiger’s back nine run up the board sent echoes through the golf course. Golf-starved fans provided an electric current through the course that made the Rees Jones redesign feel more like Busch Stadium than a suburban country club. Eight and nine-deep at points following Tiger throughout on a still well-lubricated Sunday, they were loud, boisterous, buzzing, and, weirdly enough, respectful and positive. There were no shouts of MASHED POTATOES, no phones ringing in backswings. They were knowledgeable. For a city largely new to the professional golf circuit, that’s, uh, not normal.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

BFIG. (Don't let Deadspin know)

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:What Tiger did yesterday was awesome, glad to see him back and physically able to compete. That 9 iron he hit on 9 is a vintage Tiger shot that I'm guessing few can pull off. Further his putting was vintage Tiger and he was able to make those 5-10 footers when he needed to which is something few talk about but - again, I'm guessing - he really had been struggling with.

Also, what Koepka did was equally impressive. A 64 to close out another major this year. Winning 3 of the last 6 majors he's been in. Dude looked like a robot in the face of some serious pressure from Thomas, Woods, and Scott. It was overshadowed by Tiger's round, but in a vacuum, what Koepka just pulled off is incredible.
I believe he shot 66 to Tiger's 64. But man, listening to those Tiger roars all day would have tested anyone but Koepka tuned it all out.
You're right, still, yeah, hell of a round especially given all that was going on around him.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I would love to know what # Tiger had in mind going into Sunday. At the beginning of the day, I told my dad that -14 could easily win and I think he agreed. And, based on his reaction on 18, I imagine Tiger thought the same thing at the beginning of the day. Weird to see him fist pump when he's not likely to win. But, if he's battling himself and the course, which is really the only way to successfully play, it makes a lot of sense. Reminded me of the US Open at Pebble Beach when he was about 100 shots ahead of everyone. He publicly stated his only goal for the final round was to avoid bogeys because if he didn't give anything back, no one could catch him. He showed little emotion that day except at the end and on an up and down late on the back 9 either 16 or 17, iirc, which was the only hole bogey was ever a real threat. Again, obviously just battling himself and the course.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I felt like the reaction on 18 was just him feeling comfortable cutting loose, now that he was done............ especially since he finished on a strong note. It was a helluva a day for him (battling bad tee shots all day, and still having a great round).

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Where should I put this?

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

What he has done this year is remarkable. He couldn't even swing a golf club this time last year.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Bet Finau at +4000 and DeChambeau at +6000 before the tournament.

So, lets root for those guys tomorrow.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Bet Finau at +4000 and DeChambeau at +6000 before the tournament.

So, lets root for those guys tomorrow.
Oh hell yeah