6/14 - 7/15 GDT: The World Cup U Guys

A forum for non-baseball sports
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: 6/14 - 7/15 GDT: The World Cup U Guys

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Looking at some of the teams the past couple days, I have to ask how is the US not in the tournament.

I understand the qualifying process doesn't pit them up against teams like Saudi Arabia but....sheesh, it's a real kick in the nuts reconciling where I thought the USMNT was and, well, where they are.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The US is probably still where you thought they were. It was just a strange fluke that probably couldn't happen again if you simulated it 100 times (contingent upon Sunil Gulati doing the right thing and not renewing Jurgen's contract before Brazil 2014). It's honestly that simple. Sometimes things happen in sports.

Update: Couldn't actually pull off wanting Mexico to succeed. I tried. Couldn't do it.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I'm having a little trouble finding compelling reasons to watch some of these games. I miss the Dutch, Italy, the US team in the tournament. Could care less about England-Tunisia tomorrow. Or Russia-Egypt. Or Colombia-Japan.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Belgium looked great yesterday. If they can hold on to win their group (you can always rely on England to crap the bed in some way) and get a good draw in the knock-out stage, they could be a Final Four team.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

33anda3rd wrote:Belgium looked great yesterday. If they can hold on to win their group (you can always rely on England to crap the bed in some way) and get a good draw in the knock-out stage, they could be a Final Four team.
The Group they're paired with(Group H: Japan/Colombia/Senegal/Poland) basically got turned upside down today, so considering that Belgium should be favored against any of them, the benefit of winning the group is more slim. The big favorites of the other 2 groups in their half of the knockout bracket(Germany and Brazil) got a combined 1 point from their opening games so they aren't certain winners anymore either. Definitely will come down to luck of the draw like you say, but they could have a very clear path to the semis.

Of course, being Belgium, they could also lose to Tunisia and have to beat England just to advance. That's the fun of the world cup for me, more than ever the margins are so razor thin. Germany was a favorite to win and now if they lose to a very game Sweden team they're likely done. Japan was considered the worst team in Group H and now if they beat the next worse team in the Group(Senegal) they're nearly guaranteed advancement.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

That is indeed the fun. This Russia team looks surgical so far, but they've been surgical against Egypt and the Saudis. It doesn't really matter if they advance because they're going to face either Portugal or Spain in the 2nd round unless there's a catastrophe in Group B tomorrow. Russia's putting on a good show for the home crowd but I think it's going to be short-lived.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

33anda3rd wrote:That is indeed the fun. This Russia team looks surgical so far, but they've been surgical against Egypt and the Saudis. It doesn't really matter if they advance because they're going to face either Portugal or Spain in the 2nd round unless there's a catastrophe in Group B tomorrow. Russia's putting on a good show for the home crowd but I think it's going to be short-lived.
the Russia group is by far the lamest. Which makes you wonder..

And loved that Senegal win today.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Argentina looks like junk.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

mikechamp wrote:Argentina looks like junk.
Watching the replay now. They're incredibly uninspiring.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

It really is great to watch these games. There's so much energy and motivation in the play.