2018-19 NBA Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: 2018-19 NBA Thread

Post by 33anda3rd »

lukethedrifter wrote:But does Melo really help them with that scenario?
If Melo gets bought out by OKC so they can avoid a nine-figure tax bill then he's probably available pretty cheap to play with his buddy and Harden and chase that glory he hasn't tasted since 'Cuse, and HOU is only at $80MM in payroll now so they would not sign Melo and be done.

If you want to shoot a high volume and you can get Melo to take a role like he did in OKC where he's a guy trailing and shooting spot-up jumpers (just shooting more of them and with better looks than he got in OKC) then I think he helps.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Melo shot 40% from the field last year. He's a ball-stopper who is horrible defensively. Literally, his ONLY value is in scoring the basketball, and if he can't do that efficiently (which is quite possible), then he's a liability.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Very true, but I still think the Rockets are playing variance basketball and a hot or just-over-room-temp Melo in a 7-game series, who you get on a salary freeroll because he's already paid from being bought out, is a better option than 97% of what's out there.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

do-do-doo, do-do-doo

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Raptors needed to shake it up a bit, it was getting stale. Even if Kawhi bolts after a year (provided they don't flip him at the deadline for picks/expiring money) they get a lot of money back that would have gone to DeRozan, which they could use to sign someone better than DeRozan, IMO an overrated one-note player.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I often applaud my millennial brethren in the league when they get selfish and stick it to the league's ruling class to fight for their personal happiness. LeBron, KD, Kyrie, etc. Do what makes you happy.

That said, walking away from his bird rights, texas not having state income tax, and canada's higher tax burden means he's leaving like $40 mil on the table. He hasn't handled this well. You have to do a better job maneuvering and timing your leverage like Kyrie did. Otherwise you leave a city where you're unhappy to go to another city where you'll be unhappy AND you'll lose a fortune in the process. Screw Uncle Dennis.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

thrill wrote:I often applaud my millennial brethren in the league when they get selfish and stick it to the league's ruling class to fight for their personal happiness. LeBron, KD, Kyrie, etc. Do what makes you happy.

That said, walking away from his bird rights, texas not having state income tax, and canada's higher tax burden means he's leaving like $40 mil on the table. He hasn't handled this well. You have to do a better job maneuvering and timing your leverage like Kyrie did. Otherwise you leave a city where you're unhappy to go to another city where you'll be unhappy AND you'll lose a fortune in the process. Screw Uncle Dennis.

Think I pretty much agree with this. I usually side with the players on these things but can't help but laugh a little at him trying to force his way to LA and getting exiled to Toronto instead.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I'm also obligated to side with Pop at all times. It's part of the woke leftist code. He is an icon.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Kawhi just seems like a guy who is getting henpecked by his boss on one side and his wife on the other.