2018-19 NBA Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: 2018-19 NBA Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

Some professional athletes should just refrain from making statements at all.

Kyrie on Wednesday: "F--- Thanksgiving."
Kyrie on Thursday: "No disrespect to the holiday"

:scratch:

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Kyrie has been doing the roots thing re his Native American heritage. Lots of Native Americans find Thanksgiving offensive. Kyrie is a public figure who hast to apologize when he speaks his mind. Very boilerplate stuff.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I get it. I'm cool with him playing the roots game, if that's what trips his trigger. Thanksgiving has nothing to do with Native Americans in our society anymore though. It means something completely different. Equating it to that is almost as silly as believing that the earth is flat.

Anyway, we're getting into political stuff now, and I wasn't intending to hijack the thread. Kyrie is a loon. That's really my only point.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

The NBA sucks.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Yeah, totally sucks. Let's all become (if we haven't already) one of those "very fine people" who are like "I only watch college basketball because I'd way rather watch a group of hard-working Student Athletes hustle for 40 minutes in a 52-46 game in which both teams shoot 32% from the floor than watch that terrible Kevin Durant or one of those other overpaid crybaby millionaires."

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

NCAAB sucks even worse.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I actually prefer high school basketball, to be honest.

I do love the NBA, though.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

NBA as far as talent, cultural impact, excitement of the game, popularity, global marketability is at an all-time high and growing. Compare the LA Clippers sale, at 13.7X price-to-revenue, to the Bills selling for 5.9X or the Dodgers at 8.7X--and the Dodgers are an outlier, the Padres sold for like 3.8X revenue. Rockets were close to 9X IIRC. The sales prices pegged to revenue are very big for the NBA, compared to the others.

MLB is graying, more than half the audience is over 55 according to Nielsen. MLB and NFL are also highly male/masculine and have little to no impact on the culture of kids in America, meaning they'll both continue to gray while kids are asking their parents for the new pair of Kyrie Nikes or KD Nikes or Harden Adidas for Christmas.

Alex Bregman might be as good at baseball as Joel Embiid is at basketball, but Embiid is multiple times more entertaining than Bregman, who is involved in about 10% of the game. I'd rather watch Embiid. MLB does itself no favors by having so few weekend day games in the summer and by having so many games last into the late hours of the night. This doesn't help get kids interested in a game that's already quite slow. It helps get corporate box holders to the gate a comfortable two hours after work ends, but it doesn't help in general--the Yankees drew 800,000 fewer fans this year than they did 11 years ago, and they won 100 games this year and 89 games 11 years ago. Baseball, if it's not dying it's got a really bad case of bronchitis.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

And panic at the disco and the Kardashians are two driving forces in pop culture today.

The regular season isn’t played with any real competitiveness. If you’re not one of the top three teams you don’t matter. The officiating is controversial and refs have been caught swinging games for money. At least 2/3 of the league knows they have no chance going into the season. Probably 90% nowadays.

You can barely guard anybody because you can’t touch them. Offense strategy is Reduced to driving and passing to an open three point shooter. Or a hockey assist to open three point shooter.

They’re good at jumping high and putting the ball in the 10 foot basketball. I can’t disagree with that.

Shoes? Probably because you can wear basketball shoes and not cleats in general life.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

NBA viewership was at an all-time high last year, but the year before that, it was at the lowest point in 4 years. I'm not sure how to account for that, honestly. Much of the popularity recently, I think, is due to them having a generational superstar in Lebron. He won't be around forever.