2018-19 NBA Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2018-19 NBA Thread

Post by Magneto2.0 »

MAGA wrote:Hard to see LeBron winning during life of that contract because of GSW. He knows that and that’s why he’d rather play and live in LA and lose.
Not if Kawhi and Cousins follow.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I thought teaming up with George was a mistake for Bron, so at least there’s that.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

33anda3rd wrote:Only because god hates the Trailblazers.
And if you think about it, the pre-LeBron Lakers only finished 40 games behind the pre-KD Warriors, just like Drexler, so NBA players are and always have been, like parity, with the most qualified pure sane sober objectivity, the same.

I can't imagine he's just going to join last year's Lakers. It doesn't even seem likely he'd wait a year for Kawhi. Wonder what's next.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

MAGA wrote:Hard to see LeBron winning during life of that contract because of GSW. He knows that and that’s why he’d rather play and live in LA and lose.
Klay only has one more year, then GS is put to a decision on him. Draymond has two more years, and they have Jordan Bell behind him, so Bell could develop to a reasonable replacement if Draymond walks, but there's no replacing Klay either on the roster via youth or in free agency. The Dubs window might start closing a year from now.

If the Lakers are smart they don't make any trade for Kawhi. They might covet Kawhi, and Kawhi might want to be there, but giving up, say, Ingram/Kuzma/Hart plus a draft pick or two for a year of Kawhi, who they can likely get in free agency next year, just means they still finish without a ring this year and start the 2019-20 season with less cost-controlled young talent* along with LeBron and Kawhi or whatever other star they add. If they add Boogie for big money that will hurt because he'll limit what else they can do in free agency a year from now, and it's especially problematic if they sign Boogie and he, like other big 7-footers with his type of injury, never bounces back fully.

*Cost-controlled young talent is vital. The 2015-16 Dubs team that started this run, the highest contracts were David Lee, Bogut and Iguodala. Curry was 10 mil, Livingston 5 mil, Klay 3 mil, Draymond 900K. The Lakers are sitting on a lot of young talent and I'd think Magic and Pelinka will build around that by adding in FA rather than dealing that young talent off to have a stars/scrubs roster.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Good post, 33. I'm just not that enamored with LAL's youth. There are some decent players there, but nothing strong enough to mature into a Big 2 or a Big 3. No Kevin Love's there........ no Kyrie's. '18-'19 could be a pretty mediocre year for the Lakers. '19-'20 could bring a free agent or two, but Lebron is 34 or 35 by then.
Last edited by Socnorb11 on July 2 18, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I think the Boogie to LA thing sounds very unlikely at this point. They'll have to renounce Randle to even have close to enough money to sign him. The best they could do is about a one-year deal for $23 million... and Boogie would have to forfeit his Bird Rights to take a one year deal. I think it's much more likely-- to my enjoyment-- he'll be back in New Orleans next year, but I don't know under what kind of contract.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

And now I see they did renounce Randle so maybe it's not over.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Or they could renounce Randle to sign Rondo.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

33anda3rd wrote:
Klay only has one more year, then GS is put to a decision on him. Draymond has two more years, and they have Jordan Bell behind him, so Bell could develop to a reasonable replacement if Draymond walks, but there's no replacing Klay either on the roster via youth or in free agency. The Dubs window might start closing a year from now.

If the Lakers are smart they don't make any trade for Kawhi. They might covet Kawhi, and Kawhi might want to be there, but giving up, say, Ingram/Kuzma/Hart plus a draft pick or two for a year of Kawhi, who they can likely get in free agency next year, just means they still finish without a ring this year and start the 2019-20 season with less cost-controlled young talent* along with LeBron and Kawhi or whatever other star they add. If they add Boogie for big money that will hurt because he'll limit what else they can do in free agency a year from now, and it's especially problematic if they sign Boogie and he, like other big 7-footers with his type of injury, never bounces back fully.

*Cost-controlled young talent is vital. The 2015-16 Dubs team that started this run, the highest contracts were David Lee, Bogut and Iguodala. Curry was 10 mil, Livingston 5 mil, Klay 3 mil, Draymond 900K. The Lakers are sitting on a lot of young talent and I'd think Magic and Pelinka will build around that by adding in FA rather than dealing that young talent off to have a stars/scrubs roster.
Cost controlled young talent is vital is they're actually good. Their young talent isn't that good enough to build around. They're all nice add on pieces, no stars.

Lebron is 34 in December, he's a once in a lifetime specimen, but if they planning on winning during his contract they're gonna have to make some essential moves within the first two seasons. The NBA has and will always be a star league.

People like to bring up the Celtics run this year, but ultimately they still lost to 1 superstar and trash.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

LAL may have the worst shooting team ever