2018-19 NBA Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: 2018-19 NBA Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

Again, that 1992 US Olympic team was amazing, but nobody thinks they did anything special.

GS is basically building the same legacy.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

33anda3rd wrote:
MAGA wrote:The pendulum has swung too far the other way. Players aren’t chattel, but the league shouldn’t be this uncompetitive. Also, I admire guys turning down a lot more money, but I find it really strange at the same time. Perhaps the market for Boogie wasn’t looking great.
The market is awful because of the glut of money that went into free agency two summers ago, and a cap that didn't escalate the following two years at a rapid pace. There's a TON of dead money. Deng, Mozgov, etc. Boogie is 7 feet and coming off an injury that not a lot of 7 footers come back from, and demand was almost certainly low. Did he take less than he's worth? Sure. But he's banking on hitting free agency next year at a time when he's shown that he's back and the league has a bunch of teams that have waived and stretched their Deng and Mozgov deals and there's a lot more money to be had.

Also: if Boogie wants to take ten or twenty million dollars less than he could earn to win a ring on a one-year deal I don't really think there's anything to "fix." I'm sure a lot of the people grousing about this deal are the same people who praised Adam Wainwright for giving the Cardinals fans a little home town discount to play for the BFIB yadda yadda yadda.
Yeah, this isn't the same thing. Nobody is upset because he took less money to win in. We're upset because before the signing of Cousins, the Warriors had a lopsided advantage over the league, now it's gotten even wider and has basically rendered another season pointless before it even starts.

I don't think anyone is mad at Cousins for wanting to win, good for him. We're upset because at what point, this isn't fun to watch. We're fans at the end of the day. This isn't NBA 2K. At what point does winning with such an advantage even matter? It's not competitive. As someone who's been a fan for close to 30 years, I'd like to go into a season thinking more than 1 team has a chance of winning the title.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

If Waino was in his prime, and took a discount to play for a team that was already odds on favorite to win a championship (which will never happen, because "odds on favorite" doesn't exist like it does in basketball), then it would be comparable.

Waino stayed home. Michael Jordan stayed home. That's what I wish some of these current NBA guys would do.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Socnorb11 wrote:Again, that 1992 US Olympic team was amazing, but nobody thinks they did anything special.

GS is basically building the same legacy.
It's different. When those guys scrimmaged they were trying to prove they were better than each other. And they went hard. They had an interest in seeing who was best. And proving it.

These guys probably skip scrimmage to play Scrabble with Chinese toddlers.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

If I meet Usain Bolt at the finish line, have I won too?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:If Waino was in his prime, and took a discount to play for a team that was already odds on favorite to win a championship (which will never happen, because "odds on favorite" doesn't exist like it does in basketball), then it would be comparable.

Waino stayed home. Michael Jordan stayed home. That's what I wish some of these current NBA guys would do.

Go find yourself a contender = fraud

Get your team to get talent for you = a-ok

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I’ve pumped so much energy and spirit and hope into the Blazers and the NBA from the time I was a child.

The league just spits on me in return. It is insulting.
Last edited by BottenFieldofDreams on July 2 18, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

There’s too many teams.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

If you guys find the NBA unfun, stop watching I guess.

But I defy anyone to tell me the season that just finished, in which we knew the Dubs were gonna win and did, was not fun.