GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 18 19, 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Who is going to win the NBA Championship?
Warriors 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Rockets 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Bucks 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Raptors 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Nuggets 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Sixers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17
Author Message
PostPosted: June 11 19, 6:24 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19475
You clearly aren't a Karl Malone fan, which is fine (I don't care for him one way or another...... I was just using him as an example).

My point is that you probably wouldn't have a different opinion of him if he had joined the 1999 Spurs championship team.

I still don't buy that Durant led the Warriors to a championship. Why did he fail to lead the Thunder to a championship?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 11 19, 6:52 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 11:04 pm
Posts: 7355
Location: Central AR
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Also: How awful are the Toronto fans who cheered his injury? Would that happen in any other arena, including Philadelphia?

That would happen the same exact way in literally every other arena in the NBA.


It wasn't NBA, but Philadelphia cheered Michael Irvin's career-ending neck injury.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 12 19, 7:37 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6697
Location: Chicago, IL
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Also: How awful are the Toronto fans who cheered his injury? Would that happen in any other arena, including Philadelphia?

That would happen the same exact way in literally every other arena in the NBA.


Klay Thompson said the Toronto fans' behavior made him "madder than I can put into words." Boogie Cousins called them "trash." They don't say that about other fanbases*, and they've seen injuries in big games in road arenas, and they've seen other team's players hurt in their arena. When Zaza undercut Kawhi a few years ago in GS did the GSW fans jeer Kawhi, who had been crucial to SA? Why were the Raptors players waving at their fans to stop booing? Have you ever seen that happen, the home fans being quieted by the home players?

It's possible it's just KD--people hate KD because he had the audacity to do what he wanted with his career rather than what they wanted. It's possible it's the internet culture of trying to make a name for yourself by being a dick on Twitter. It's probable, though, that it's the Raptors fans in that moment.

*though a lot of folks do say that re Utah.


Last edited by 33anda3rd on June 12 19, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 12 19, 7:52 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6697
Location: Chicago, IL
Socnorb11 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
They will line up, but KD will not likely win another ring as the alpha dog on a Great Team. Because he went to GSW he got to experience that, and I submit to you that because of that--and because of the temporary nature of an athletic career--we should not judge jocks on their career choices, should not burn jerseys, should not use emasculating terms to talk about them. KD did everything an NBA player can do, and he got to do that because of his career choice.


Disagree with the last statement, respectfully. He never led a team to an NBA championship. Golden State was already a championship team. Very few will ever remember the Warriors as Kevin Durant's team. Kevin Durant is not more or less of a player because he won championships. He's an incredible player......... an all-time great, but not because he has a ring.


Let's not undersell Kevin Durant please. He played in two Finals and was the MVP of both those Finals. He was the best player in both those Finals and LeBron James and Steph Curry were on the floor for them. He was, while he was mowing down LAC and HOU this postseason, clearly the best basketball player in the NBA and if he were healthy the Warriors would probably have closed out this Raptors team. That he has not been healthy and the Raptors instead are a game from the trophy is all about how great Durant is and how much the Warriors need him. He in every sense of the word "led" the Dubs to two titles by being he best player on the team, which we're seeing as they struggle now without him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 12 19, 4:53 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19475
33anda3rd wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
They will line up, but KD will not likely win another ring as the alpha dog on a Great Team. Because he went to GSW he got to experience that, and I submit to you that because of that--and because of the temporary nature of an athletic career--we should not judge jocks on their career choices, should not burn jerseys, should not use emasculating terms to talk about them. KD did everything an NBA player can do, and he got to do that because of his career choice.


Disagree with the last statement, respectfully. He never led a team to an NBA championship. Golden State was already a championship team. Very few will ever remember the Warriors as Kevin Durant's team. Kevin Durant is not more or less of a player because he won championships. He's an incredible player......... an all-time great, but not because he has a ring.


Let's not undersell Kevin Durant please. He played in two Finals and was the MVP of both those Finals. He was the best player in both those Finals and LeBron James and Steph Curry were on the floor for them. He was, while he was mowing down LAC and HOU this postseason, clearly the best basketball player in the NBA and if he were healthy the Warriors would probably have closed out this Raptors team. That he has not been healthy and the Raptors instead are a game from the trophy is all about how great Durant is and how much the Warriors need him. He in every sense of the word "led" the Dubs to two titles by being he best player on the team, which we're seeing as they struggle now without him.


They did it without him.

He was the best player in OKC too, but no trophy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 12 19, 5:33 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
Posts: 7034
Location: South County, St. Louis
There is no way that Durant doesn't opt into his players option now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 12 19, 7:56 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6697
Location: Chicago, IL
JoeMcKim wrote:
There is no way that Durant doesn't opt into his players option now.


The interest in him is reportedly sky high, teams interest hasn't diminished according to Windhorst and Woj at ESPN. Teams are fine with not having him for a year, and willing to pay for the luxury of having him back. Kendrick Perkins was on Zach Lowe's podcast this week and he goes "I'd max Kevin Durant if he tore both Achilles."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 12 19, 8:07 pm 
Online
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36360
Location: Huis Clos
Does Kendrick Perkins run a team?

I’m sure that plenty o teams will pony up. That doesn’t change that the Achilles has perhaps changed the second half of his career.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 13 19, 5:47 am 
Offline
Consider him admonished
User avatar

Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
Posts: 8113
Location: Charleston, SC via Arkansas
Kemba won’t be a Knick, to the detriment of the Hornets


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 13 19, 9:34 am 
Offline
Consider him admonished
User avatar

Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
Posts: 8113
Location: Charleston, SC via Arkansas


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group