2019 NFL Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by 33anda3rd »

Not miserable losers, rather highly irrational. Which, whatever, virtually every American exists in a gray area between rational and irrational, having constructed some kind of fantasy to help, whether it's the fantasy of getting rich, religion, the NFL, guns, Hollywood, consumerism, the "wellness" industry or whatever. They're not losers, they're just patently irrational.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Physically assaulting him would be irrational. Booing him? Nah. It's no more irrational than buying a life-sized cardboard replica of him to prop in their home after he has a great season.

t's just a game, man. They buy the tickets. As far as I'm concerned, they can express whatever emotion they want to.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/8/26 ... s-anything
Normally, when we encounter someone who has become disenchanted with their job, our response is to say something like, “Hey, I hope you find something else you like more, maybe a different job, or else you could try going to Greece.” It is not to clench our fists, narrow our eyes, and hiss, “You owe it to me to continue doing that job, you loser—you coward.”

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Socnorb11 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, they can express whatever emotion they want to.
We don't approve when toddlers throw a fit in the supermarket so we shouldn't approve when grown men throw a fit on the internet or in an arena.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

33anda3rd wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, they can express whatever emotion they want to.
We don't approve when toddlers throw a fit in the supermarket so we shouldn't approve when grown men throw a fit on the internet or in an arena.
I don't approve of it. I said on the previous page that I think it's stupid. I don't think it's irrational, though.

Sports are a different animal. I wouldn't let my toddler sing "Gloria" at the top of his lungs while stomping on the floor in the supermarket, but I'd encourage him to at a hockey game.

Again......... it's a game. You get the highs as a fan, and you get the lows. Same goes for the players.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I'm happy for him. And I understand why Indy fans might be upset. People have feelings and emotions and sometimes those are shown not in the best manner no matter what others think. That's okay.

Would anyone here have been upset or maybe acted out on the internet if Pujols retired after say, 2006?

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

33anda3rd wrote:Not miserable losers, rather highly irrational. Which, whatever, virtually every American exists in a gray area between rational and irrational, having constructed some kind of fantasy to help, whether it's the fantasy of getting rich, religion, the NFL, guns, Hollywood, consumerism, the "wellness" industry or whatever. They're not losers, they're just patently irrational.
You're acting like the entire city collectively booed him without context or reason.

A group of people saw him standing on the sideline, letting them think he was going to lead the team to success and entertainment. Many having spent THOUSANDS of dollars on season tickets for that entertainment. Then find out from someone else he was retiring. The boos were directed at how it was handled and a manifestation of disappointment of expectations of the season more than it was directed at Luck.

He wouldn't have been booed if they had a presser on Friday. Most around here were shocked and upset Saturday night but by Monday fell in to "I get the decision but the execution was poor".

It would be like taking your wife on an expensive vacation and getting a call from her divorce lawyer while you're at dinner the night before you go home. Think you might say something you regret during the second course?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

vinsanity wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Not miserable losers, rather highly irrational. Which, whatever, virtually every American exists in a gray area between rational and irrational, having constructed some kind of fantasy to help, whether it's the fantasy of getting rich, religion, the NFL, guns, Hollywood, consumerism, the "wellness" industry or whatever. They're not losers, they're just patently irrational.
You're acting like the entire city collectively booed him without context or reason.

A group of people saw him standing on the sideline, letting them think he was going to lead the team to success and entertainment. Many having spent THOUSANDS of dollars on season tickets for that entertainment. Then find out from someone else he was retiring. The boos were directed at how it was handled and a manifestation of disappointment of expectations of the season more than it was directed at Luck.

He wouldn't have been booed if they had a presser on Friday. Most around here were shocked and upset Saturday night but by Monday fell in to "I get the decision but the execution was poor".

It would be like taking your wife on an expensive vacation and getting a call from her divorce lawyer while you're at dinner the night before you go home. Think you might say something you regret during the second course?
Bad analogy but more importantly this happened to my brother, only worse. She let him take her to the Caribbean then told him before they left.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

lukethedrifter wrote:
vinsanity wrote:It would be like taking your wife on an expensive vacation and getting a call from her divorce lawyer while you're at dinner the night before you go home. Think you might say something you regret during the second course?
Bad analogy but more importantly this happened to my brother, only worse. She let him take her to the Caribbean then told him before they left.
Oof that's painful.

Maybe a better analogy would be getting front row seats to your favorite band and the opener announcing at the end the show's over and the band's not coming out.