2019 NFL Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by Fat Strat »

Socnorb11 wrote:The Chiefs will be fine. Apparently the receiver that they drafted yesterday to replace Hill is very sorry about his homophobic tweets.
He was 12? 14 maybe? I feel like our need to dredge up everyone's childhood and apply it immediately to their present is one of the worst aspects of our society. A guy gets drafted and the first thing the press does is go through 6-8 years of Twitter feeds searching for junk, with the explicit intent to harm him. We would probably all be fired from our present jobs immediately if our current employer could get access to things we said and did in junior high. Kid should have been smart enough to purge his account, but then again, we should be smart enough as a society not to make so much of something like that.

Chiefs are facing increasing pressure to release Hill, but that's foolish and short-sighted, imo. Take a look at what happened with Kareen Hunt. Video comes out. Hunt is released by the Chiefs, the "right thing to do". Hunt is picked up a few weeks later by the Browns, a team who could end up as a prime contender with the Chiefs next year. Who ends up punished in that situation? The Chiefs. Who did what was right. Hunt kicked a woman, lost some money, but that's about it.

The Chiefs aren't holding on to Hill in order to get through the punishment phase so they can keep playing him. They are holding on to Hill in order to retain his rights so that another team can't just swoop in and take him, morals be damned, and use him against the Chiefs. In this case, holding on to Hill centers the punishment on Hill, the perpetrator of the crime. Chiefs and Chiefs fans suffer to, but at least Hill can't just get released, get suspended and then hit the field for the Patriots in October.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

The homophobic tweets started when he was 12, and continued until he was 18 or 19. 18 or 19 isn't a "childhood". That's kinda representative of who you are. Now, he's apologized, and I'm cool with that......... but the Chiefs just seem to be a magnet for this stuff (or they simply don't care).

The system is definitely broken when the Browns can get Hunt for nothing, after the Chiefs did the right thing by releasing him. Still, they've got to get Hill off of the roster, if they want any PR cred at all. You can't have your players going into shelters to comfort kids who are lost in "the system", while openly employing a child abuser.

More than anything, the Chiefs may need to think about steering clear of players with that type of history. It's definitely mucking things up in the organization.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i don't know if the chiefs are any worse than any other club but i'm in chiefs territory and i do remember the (local) outrage when hill got drafted. but of course he's talented so those concerns quickly go away.

his wiki entry
The Chiefs were criticized by fans[22] for the selection due to his past issues with domestic violence and the Chiefs' history with former linebacker Jovan Belcher. General Manager John Dorsey had to receive consent from Chiefs' owner Clark Hunt to make the selection and says they thoroughly vetted the prospect which included speaking to the prosecutor that charged him. After drafting him, the Chiefs' held an impromptu press conference and addressed the issue to the media during the first day of rookie mini camp.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Socnorb11 wrote:The homophobic tweets started when he was 12, and continued until he was 18 or 19. 18 or 19 isn't a "childhood". That's kinda representative of who you are. Now, he's apologized, and I'm cool with that......... but the Chiefs just seem to be a magnet for this stuff (or they simply don't care).

The system is definitely broken when the Browns can get Hunt for nothing, after the Chiefs did the right thing by releasing him. Still, they've got to get Hill off of the roster, if they want any PR cred at all. You can't have your players going into shelters to comfort kids who are lost in "the system", while openly employing a child abuser.

More than anything, the Chiefs may need to think about steering clear of players with that type of history. It's definitely mucking things up in the organization.
To the first paragraph, that does go beyond what I had seen or read - which was very little. Only some tweets. So, you are not wrong if that is true.

To the point about Hill and history, Hunt didn’t have that kind of history and did something stupid anyway. Were the Chiefs supposed to know better? Hill did have that history, we gave him a chance as so many other teams have done with players who have had troubled history and it’s bit us and him in the butt. There is just no winning in this whole domestic violence mess in the NFL. I have wondered if the Chiefs need to do something different, but have pretty much settled on this being a player problem. If you can’t stop yourself from hitting women or children just on principle, that’s on you. If you are a selfish jerk with no principles but you still can’t stop yourself from hitting women and children when you know it will probably cost you thousands and potentially millions, then nothing your employer does will stop you. You are just a horrible, evil person. You get what you deserve and your employer should be able to expect you to not hit women or children without them holding your hand.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Fat Strat wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:The homophobic tweets started when he was 12, and continued until he was 18 or 19. 18 or 19 isn't a "childhood". That's kinda representative of who you are. Now, he's apologized, and I'm cool with that......... but the Chiefs just seem to be a magnet for this stuff (or they simply don't care).

To the first paragraph, that does go beyond what I had seen or read - which was very little. Only some tweets. So, you are not wrong if that is true.

To the point about Hill and history, Hunt didn’t have that kind of history and did something stupid anyway. Were the Chiefs supposed to know better? Hill did have that history, we gave him a chance as so many other teams have done with players who have had troubled history and it’s bit us and him in the butt. There is just no winning in this whole domestic violence mess in the NFL. I have wondered if the Chiefs need to do something different, but have pretty much settled on this being a player problem. If you can’t stop yourself from hitting women or children just on principle, that’s on you. If you are a selfish jerk with no principles but you still can’t stop yourself from hitting women and children when you know it will probably cost you thousands and potentially millions, then nothing your employer does will stop you. You are just a horrible, evil person. You get what you deserve and your employer should be able to expect you to not hit women or children without them holding your hand.
You can say "that's on you", but it ends up being on the Chiefs. It's horrible PR for the team, and in the case of Hunt (and probably Hill), it's a wasted investment. Those things matter. After the Javon Belcher thing, and then Hunt, and now Hill, you would think they'd be gunshy, but they just traded for Frank Clark who has similar history.

As a Broncos fan, I was thrilled when the team got rid of Aqib Talib, even though he was a good football player. I don't strictly root for "the laundry", and I don't want guys like that on the team. If Von Miller was found to be a child abuser, I'd want him cut today........ talent be damned. I'm not opposed to second chances. In the case of punching women and children though, nah. I'm good with the team paying for counseling, and supporting the wife/child, but I don't want people like that around my team.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

1) How many of those guys hit women & children?

2) How many are still on the team?

3) How many were signed after the team already knew about the issues?

As I said, I'm cool with second chances. Even with Hunt/Hill, I would have been OK with that. Not when you're hitting women & children, though (I thought I made that clear earlier).

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Socnorb11 wrote:

1) How many of those guys hit women & children?

2) How many are still on the team?

3) How many were signed after the team already knew about the issues?

As I said, I'm cool with second chances. Even with Hunt/Hill, I would have been OK with that. Not when you're hitting women & children, though (I thought I made that clear earlier).

Out of curiosity, I checked for myself. ONE of those guys is currently on the roster. Von Miller, who was arrested for *gasp* speeding.

The Broncos aren't perfect, but they've recently adopted a strategy of drafting high-character guys, and preferably team captains. Not always the best athlete/player, but I like the approach.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Lots of chatter today about Kareem Hunt in his workouts with Cleveland. Positive spins all around. Browns believe in second chances. He’s doing all the right things. He is really embracing this opportunity. He is even getting baptized this Sunday in Cleveland. Apparently that is news.

Now, all that might be true and real and genuine, but if you want to know why Tyreek Hill is still a Chief, that is the reason. The Chiefs released Hunt, took a huge PR hit and on the field hit. Browns sign the same player and it’s a love fest, Hunt is suddenly a great guy, and the Browns are Super Bowl contenders because they can have a cheap, elite running back.

Let’s be honest. The NFL is 100% about what happens on the field. It’s pretty disgusting. Hill will play 8 games or more this season.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

The Chiefs didn't really take a PR hit for releasing Hunt. From a PR standpoint, it was the exact right thing to do. That being said, it's ridiculous that another team can scoop him up and not take hit.

In Hill's case, it's a little different. He wouldn't be getting a second chance.......... he'd be getting a third.