GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 13 19, 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 27 19, 10:06 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 8159
Location: Chicago, IL
Not miserable losers, rather highly irrational. Which, whatever, virtually every American exists in a gray area between rational and irrational, having constructed some kind of fantasy to help, whether it's the fantasy of getting rich, religion, the NFL, guns, Hollywood, consumerism, the "wellness" industry or whatever. They're not losers, they're just patently irrational.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 27 19, 2:01 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19722
Physically assaulting him would be irrational. Booing him? Nah. It's no more irrational than buying a life-sized cardboard replica of him to prop in their home after he has a great season.

t's just a game, man. They buy the tickets. As far as I'm concerned, they can express whatever emotion they want to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 27 19, 3:14 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 11:04 pm
Posts: 7483
Location: Central AR
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/8/26/20834062/andrew-luck-doesnt-owe-us-anything

Quote:
Normally, when we encounter someone who has become disenchanted with their job, our response is to say something like, “Hey, I hope you find something else you like more, maybe a different job, or else you could try going to Greece.” It is not to clench our fists, narrow our eyes, and hiss, “You owe it to me to continue doing that job, you loser—you coward.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 27 19, 4:20 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 8159
Location: Chicago, IL
Socnorb11 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, they can express whatever emotion they want to.


We don't approve when toddlers throw a fit in the supermarket so we shouldn't approve when grown men throw a fit on the internet or in an arena.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 27 19, 4:31 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19722
33anda3rd wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, they can express whatever emotion they want to.


We don't approve when toddlers throw a fit in the supermarket so we shouldn't approve when grown men throw a fit on the internet or in an arena.


I don't approve of it. I said on the previous page that I think it's stupid. I don't think it's irrational, though.

Sports are a different animal. I wouldn't let my toddler sing "Gloria" at the top of his lungs while stomping on the floor in the supermarket, but I'd encourage him to at a hockey game.

Again......... it's a game. You get the highs as a fan, and you get the lows. Same goes for the players.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 28 19, 12:02 pm 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 55907


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 28 19, 1:13 pm 
Offline
likes to grate his own cheese
User avatar

Joined: May 9 06, 12:41 pm
Posts: 11510
Location: Drunk
I'm happy for him. And I understand why Indy fans might be upset. People have feelings and emotions and sometimes those are shown not in the best manner no matter what others think. That's okay.

Would anyone here have been upset or maybe acted out on the internet if Pujols retired after say, 2006?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 28 19, 1:21 pm 
Offline
MLB.TV Customer Support
User avatar

Joined: July 3 06, 2:19 pm
Posts: 8262
Location: Indianapolis
33anda3rd wrote:
Not miserable losers, rather highly irrational. Which, whatever, virtually every American exists in a gray area between rational and irrational, having constructed some kind of fantasy to help, whether it's the fantasy of getting rich, religion, the NFL, guns, Hollywood, consumerism, the "wellness" industry or whatever. They're not losers, they're just patently irrational.

You're acting like the entire city collectively booed him without context or reason.

A group of people saw him standing on the sideline, letting them think he was going to lead the team to success and entertainment. Many having spent THOUSANDS of dollars on season tickets for that entertainment. Then find out from someone else he was retiring. The boos were directed at how it was handled and a manifestation of disappointment of expectations of the season more than it was directed at Luck.

He wouldn't have been booed if they had a presser on Friday. Most around here were shocked and upset Saturday night but by Monday fell in to "I get the decision but the execution was poor".

It would be like taking your wife on an expensive vacation and getting a call from her divorce lawyer while you're at dinner the night before you go home. Think you might say something you regret during the second course?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 28 19, 1:30 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 37241
Location: Huis Clos
vinsanity wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Not miserable losers, rather highly irrational. Which, whatever, virtually every American exists in a gray area between rational and irrational, having constructed some kind of fantasy to help, whether it's the fantasy of getting rich, religion, the NFL, guns, Hollywood, consumerism, the "wellness" industry or whatever. They're not losers, they're just patently irrational.

You're acting like the entire city collectively booed him without context or reason.

A group of people saw him standing on the sideline, letting them think he was going to lead the team to success and entertainment. Many having spent THOUSANDS of dollars on season tickets for that entertainment. Then find out from someone else he was retiring. The boos were directed at how it was handled and a manifestation of disappointment of expectations of the season more than it was directed at Luck.

He wouldn't have been booed if they had a presser on Friday. Most around here were shocked and upset Saturday night but by Monday fell in to "I get the decision but the execution was poor".

It would be like taking your wife on an expensive vacation and getting a call from her divorce lawyer while you're at dinner the night before you go home. Think you might say something you regret during the second course?

Bad analogy but more importantly this happened to my brother, only worse. She let him take her to the Caribbean then told him before they left.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NFL Season
PostPosted: August 28 19, 1:37 pm 
Offline
MLB.TV Customer Support
User avatar

Joined: July 3 06, 2:19 pm
Posts: 8262
Location: Indianapolis
lukethedrifter wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
It would be like taking your wife on an expensive vacation and getting a call from her divorce lawyer while you're at dinner the night before you go home. Think you might say something you regret during the second course?

Bad analogy but more importantly this happened to my brother, only worse. She let him take her to the Caribbean then told him before they left.

Oof that's painful.

Maybe a better analogy would be getting front row seats to your favorite band and the opener announcing at the end the show's over and the band's not coming out.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group