Mayor of GRB

Re: St Louis Blues Greatest Offseason Thread Ever

Post by sighyoung »

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

YES!!!!!

Would have liked to see 3 or 4 years, but I get it. For him, enough money now, and a big payout if he plays well for 2 years. For the Blues, he and Allen are both under contract at a reasonable salary for 2 years, which should allow us to keep a lot of the band together for another run or two. Some teams spend $6 or $7m on their starter. We are spending $8.5/9 ish for both goalies.

If Binny continues to play great, he'll make $7m ish on his next deal. If he's a solid starter, he probably makes over $5m. If he tanks, he'll make $9m ish this year and next.

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

Don't understand the term at all since this walks him right to free agency. The money is fine, but I would've expected a one year prove it deal for similar money before going long term or a longer deal that eats a few UFA years. Still not unhappy with the deal at all, but not the route I would have preferred them to go.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Term makes sense for both sides. If Binny falters, the Blues still have Allen, and can still afford to make a run. One of those two is going to be resigned in two years.

Binny gets 2 years to prove he deserves a big contract. Its a bridge-prove it. He'll be 28, so he might see 6 or 7 years then if he keeps playing like a top goalie. He also has security against a poor or injury laden season. If he stinks it up and is done at 28, he's almost $9m richer. The Blues are set to be contender for this year and next, but the risk is smaller if Binner is a flash in the pan. Sure, if he pans out, he'll cost more later, but Allen will be gone and they'll be able to afford him.

I would have liked 3 or 4 years because I'm sold on Binnington, but this is a smart move.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

This deal is exactly because of Allen. Armstrong tried to roll the dice on an undervalued contract when Allen when he signed him to 4 year deal. Allen may not have won the Stanley Cup, but he showed just as much potential as Binnington currently does.

We all know how that worked out.

Getting Binnington for a 2 year deal hedges the bet that he regresses. There wasn't much about him prior to last season to suggest he is a franchise goaltender. If he falters, you gave 2 years to a guy who won you a cup and can handle that. If he's the real deal and is a franchise goaltender then you don't mind breaking the bank to keep him when the time comes. Generally paying franchise goalies a ton of money is a lot easier than finding one.

Obviously getting a frnachise goalie on a cheap deal is the best case scenario, but I think that's too big a risk with someone with such a wide variance in future potential.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Agreed Theo, though, I can't remember if I argued this here or on LGB, everything I read about Binner prior to this year indicated he absolutely had the potential to be a starting goaltender in the NHL and was buried in the Blues system. (though admittedly, I read it after he came up and lit the world on fire)

His numbers in the AHL the last two years were also comparable to Bishop's similar aged years. (I don't have time atm to dig that all up again, but its out there) He's also the right age for a rookie goalie.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's the next Bishop. It just means that there is reason to believe he can be a legit starter in the NHL based on his minor league work.

Also, I love his play because he's very fundamentally sound, and I think that's a big part of what helps him recover from bad games. (that and his mental toughness) He takes away low. Cuts his angles well, etc. An example is game 7 in the SCF. The only puck that went in was because the Boston shooter changed the angle while Petro was screening Binner, opening about a football sized hole. (The camera angle made the opening look bigger, but from the shooter's perspective there was less room) The shooter made a great shot, banking it in off the crossbar. It took a really good play and perfect shot.

For a few games, Binner was getting beat 5 hole. Just when you thought maybe that was the book on him, he adjusted, and wasn't beat 5 hole the rest of the final.

There is reason to be optimistic. If he can play like a top 10 goalie with big game potential, then the Blues are contenders.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

And 3 days later, my Binner jersey arrives! Woot!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

A little more than what I hoped ($2.5m/per) for, but less than what I expected. ($3m/per). I'll take it. Dude is clearly an important part of our defensive game. I'm really excited he'll be around for awhile.

I'll bet Barbashev gets about $2m-$2.25m as this should set the market for him.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

JCShutout wrote: A little more than what I hoped ($2.5m/per) for, but less than what I expected. ($3m/per). I'll take it. Dude is clearly an important part of our defensive game. I'm really excited he'll be around for awhile.

I know it's not a good attitude, and if I were the GM i'd regret it, but for all these negotiations I keep saying to myself "That guy helped the team win a Cup, pay him whatever he wants"

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

TheoSqua wrote:
JCShutout wrote: A little more than what I hoped ($2.5m/per) for, but less than what I expected. ($3m/per). I'll take it. Dude is clearly an important part of our defensive game. I'm really excited he'll be around for awhile.

I know it's not a good attitude, and if I were the GM i'd regret it, but for all these negotiations I keep saying to myself "That guy helped the team win a Cup, pay him whatever he wants"
Nah. There are certain guys who that makes sense for, but they are few and far between. For everyone else, there is a number where their contribution works. As long as he he gives you 10+ goals and 25+ points and good team defense, this contract should be fine and should work. It gives you a 10+ goal, defensively sound anchor to build the bottom 6 around as young guys come in and older players move on. I mean, sure, I'd have liked him at a bit less, but you could literally say than about any player's contract.

He's basically being paid to fill the roll they had for Sobotka. When Boat was at his best (similar production, 10+ goal pace, 25+ point pace) he was very useful... for the right price. The problem in the past was when the Blues had too many $3-4m third liners who could occasionally play on a scoring line if they had good linemates. As long as we don't go crazy with role player contracts, we should be fine.

I mean, if the team views Bozak's 40ish points/year worth $5m, (I don't, but we won the cup so all is forgiven) then Sunny's 25-30 points/year is absolutely worth just over half that.