CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: XFL

Post by CardsofSTL »

St. Louis BattleHawks staff

Front office
General manager – Jonathan Hayes
Director of player personnel – Trey Brown
Director of football operations – Frank Bestich, Jr.
Manager of football operations – Jeff Bauer
Assistant to the Head Coach – Michael George

Field
Head coach – Jonathan Hayes
Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks – Doug Meacham
Running backs – Chuck Long
Wide receivers – Az-Zahir Hakim
Offensive line – Brian Braswell
Tight ends – Nick Siciliano
Assistant offensive line – Grant Williams
Defensive coordinator/Defensive line – Jay Hayes
Co-Defensive coordinator/Linebackers – Matt Raich
Defensive backs – Tim Lewis
Assistant defensive backs – Chris Crocker

St. Louis joins Seattle, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Dallas, Tampa Bay and Washington, D.C. as the league's inaugural cities. Teams will have 45-man active rosters and play a 10-week season. Vince McMahon said “the game will feature simplified rules for a faster pace of game that should complete in under three hours”, and will draw from former college and NFL players
East Division DC NY STL TB
West Division DAL HOU LA SEA

Jonathan Michael Hayes (born August 11, 1962) is a former professional American football tight end and coach who currently serves as head coach and general manager of the St. Louis BattleHawks.

Hayes played for the Kansas City Chiefs (1985–1993) and the Pittsburgh Steelers (1994–1996).

Hayes's coaching career began at Oklahoma under Bob Stoops. While coaching in Norman, the 2000 Oklahoma Sooners football team won the BCS National Championship Game. At Oklahoma, Hayes coached Trent Smith, who was named to the 2001 and 2002 All-Big 12 Conference football team. He joined Marvin Lewis's Cincinnati Bengals staff and won 4 AFC North titles on the way to 7 NFL playoff berths. Hayes also coached several Pro Bowl players; Tyler Eifert (2015), and Jermaine Gresham (2011, 2012),

In January 2018, Hayes was the head coach of the East team in the 2018 East–West Shrine Game. On April 18, 2019, Hayes was announced as the first head coach of the St. Louis franchise in the revived XFL.
Theotis "Trey" Brown, III (born March 1, 1985) is a former American football cornerback who is currently the Director of Player Personnel for the St. Louis XFL team. Prior to being hired by the XFL, Brown served as the Executive Vice President of Football Operations for the Birmingham Iron of the Alliance of American Football.[1] Prior to the AAF, Brown spent 9 years in the National Football League as a scout/executive. From 2010 to 2012, he was a scout with the New England Patriots. Then, from 2013 to 2018, he was with the Philadelphia Eagles in a variety of capacities including the Director of College Scouting from 2016-2018. As a player, he was signed by the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He played college football at UCLA. He also played for the New York Sentinels. He is the son of former NFL running back Theotis Brown.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Az Hakim sighting!!!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

GeddyWrox wrote:Az Hakim sighting!!!
lol, my exact response as well...

"List of names... ooh! Az Hakim! Didn't he drop that punt in a playoff game in the year in between super bowl appearances? Oh, damn, poor guy, that's the first thing I remember about him, if he's even the right guy."

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The XFL's eight teams opened training camp this week and will kick off their 10-week regular season Feb. 8. Most of the on-the-field product will look familiar to fans, but a two-year project to innovate some aspects of the game led to a number of significant changes. They include:

A kickoff designed to discourage touchbacks and increase the likelihood of a return: The ball will be kicked off from the 30-yard line, but the coverage and blocking teams will line up at the receiving team's 35- and 30-yard lines, respectively. Only the kicker and returner can move until the ball is caught, or three seconds after it hits the ground. A touchback will be spotted at the 35-yard line. Kicks out of bounds will go to the 45-yard line.

Players can't leave the line of scrimmage on punts until after the kick. Any kicks that go into the end zone or out of bounds will be marked at the 35-yard line or wherever the ball went out of bounds, whichever is better for the receiving team. The idea is to discourage fair catches and "coffin corner" kicks, while providing more incentive to go for it on fourth down.

Three options after scoring a touchdown: a 1-point play from the 2-yard line, a 2-point play from the 3-yard line or a 3-point play from the 10-yard line. There is no option to kick an extra point.

A shootout-style overtime: Each team will get five single-play possessions from the 5-yard line. If the game is still tied at that point, the rotating possessions will continue until there is a winner. The XFL hopes that overtimes will be rare, in part because of the multiple options for points after touchdowns.

A rule that allows two forward passes on one play, providing the first doesn't go past the line of scrimmage. The purpose is to encourage creative trick plays without the risk of losing possession of a lateral or backward pass, which is a live ball if it hits the ground.

A requirement for only one foot to be in bounds for possession. XFL director of football operations Sam Schwartzstein said the change is easier to officiate quickly. It also is better for player safety, Schwartzstein said, because players take more unbraced falls while trying to place both feet in bounds.

A total of nine officials on the field, one of whom will be dedicated solely to spotting the ball to minimize downtime between plays. XFL head of officiating Dean Blandino said most XFL officials have experience at the Division I college level. Blandino, the former NFL officiating chief, has been consulting with the XFL for more than a year. He performed a similar function for the Alliance of American Football (AAF) last spring.

A video official who can intervene on significant non-reviewable plays when involving player safety, or on any calls inside of five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. There will also be booth-initiated reviews of traditionally reviewable plays using Hawk-Eye technology that ingests video directly from the broadcast truck.

Allowing offensive linemen to be up to 2 yards downfield when a pass is thrown, with the hope of minimizing flags on run-pass option plays.

A series of tweaks that the XFL hopes will cap game times at 2 hours, 45 minutes. (NFL games typically run about 3:06.) The tweaks include a running game clock that won't stop after incomplete passes or when players go out of bounds, except inside of two minutes in each half. Additionally, there will be a 10-minute halftime, two timeouts per team per half and no coin tosses. The home team will always make the choice to kick, receive or defer to start the game. The visitors will make that choice to start overtime.
https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28 ... excitement

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

GeddyWrox wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:flipped over, the logo apparently spells out STL
Looks like hands praying over a cross to me.
Looks like a sword with wings to me.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

There is also supposed to be another couple of nods to St. Louis in the logo. I can see the wings kind of forming an arch as was pointed out somewhere. The one I don't see is the reference to Pi. It's been said that the double T's in the logo form the Pi sign but I don't see it yet. Maybe I just need somebody to point it out still.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

tlombard wrote:There is also supposed to be another couple of nods to St. Louis in the logo. I can see the wings kind of forming an arch as was pointed out somewhere. The one I don't see is the reference to Pi. It's been said that the double T's in the logo form the Pi sign but I don't see it yet. Maybe I just need somebody to point it out still.
Pi as in the restaurant?? That would be really weird. Pi as in anything else, what’s the stl connect?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

lukethedrifter wrote:
tlombard wrote:There is also supposed to be another couple of nods to St. Louis in the logo. I can see the wings kind of forming an arch as was pointed out somewhere. The one I don't see is the reference to Pi. It's been said that the double T's in the logo form the Pi sign but I don't see it yet. Maybe I just need somebody to point it out still.
Pi as in the restaurant?? That would be really weird. Pi as in anything else, what’s the stl connect?

I guess I can kind of see it IF but you really have to just take a circle around one small part of the sword to see the mathematical symbol for Pi.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

tlombard wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

I guess I can kind of see it IF but you really have to just take a circle around one small part of the sword to see the mathematical symbol for Pi.
Yeah, its subtle, but I appreciate it. Area code and all. Not amazing, but cute. I just wish the logo didn't look like the St. Louis CBC Jr. Varsity Praying Knights, but its just a logo.

My Dad and I are going to a game. Lol, I expect it to be... well I don't actually know what to expect.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm not expecting a lot from the football itself but I am loving the level of interest that I've been seeing and hearing from friends and family along with just random strangers at the bar watching sports.

What excites me the most is tailgating. My family and a bunch of family friends are already planning on tailgating for the first game just like we used to almost every week for the Rams. That was always probably my favorite part of the experience.

And honestly, I just love football even though I can't get behind the NFL anymore. Since I stopped watching the NFL regularly that void that football filled in life has slowly grown to the point where I found myself going to random HS playoff games this fall on Saturdays where I had nothing else going on. I saw one really good one (McCluer taking the lead with under four minutes to go and then losing that lead with under two) and one that was over in the first quarter (Ladue beating up on Liberty). I wish I had been able to get to some of the Friday games but I was always busy on Friday evenings.