Josh Hancock lost in car crash, Game cancelled.

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFA1Sgu_hRU

This video interestingly enough was made by a Cubs fan. Pretty neat.
this really should be it's own thread.. it may get lost in here..
that was tough to watch..

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Twice to the same team, unbelievable. Everyone on that team has to be shaken up pretty bad. I wonder how this will affect the rest of this season, the emotions that go hand in hand with something of this magnitude are pretty extreme. The Cardinals can either rally going forward or never really get on track, my heart goes out to everyone in the organization.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I wonder how the management, coaching staff Jimmy, Izzy, and Albert feel right now, having to revisit the pain of losing a teammate.

Are there any other current Cards that were on the 2002 team when we lost Kile?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I don't know who may yet check in on this thread but I feel the need to express a few things.

The first is a bit of a warning from my line of work. If you have an accident on the highway do whatever you can to get your vehicle and/or yourself out of harm's way. I cannot tell you the number of times that I have been on an accident scene where people are walking around on the highway like it's the sidewalk. Pull off to the shoulder if you can and always be wary of the oncoming traffic, never assume that they see you.
One young man's life was spared because this wrecker driver was blocking traffic for him.
Which brings me to the second thing. I can't tell you how much we (rescue personnel) appreciate when the Highway Assist or tow truck drivers assist us in controlling the flow of traffic to, hopefully, avoid a secondary collision. Give me a house fire any day over standing on the highway with people flying through, not paying attention.

I don't know what it was that was distracting Josh, and I know that I am at times guilty as well of not paying my full attention to the road. But let's let this remind us to get our eyes and focus back to the road ahead of us, that we can avoid this sort of thing.

Goodbye Josh Hancock.

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

does anyone have a video link to the looper and pinella press conference?

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

heyzeus wrote:It's now starting to look like something that I hoped wasn't part of this possibly was. I like the articles telling me more about who Hancock was as a person and teammate. But in the next few days, be prepared to see more articles with details like this one. We're going to be discussing the role of alcohol in all of this. I do want to spend more time talking about tthe person, Josh Hancock. But now I'm already thinking about this, and I wish it wasn't so, but I am.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument

"Although the accident occurred not far from the Fox Theatre, Hancock was not among a number of teammates who attended the Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center benefit Saturday night at the theater.

Hancock instead dined with a group of friends at Mike Shannon's Steaks and Seafood after Saturday's game and told the manager that he was headed to the Westin Hotel three blocks away.

"I personally called the police chief and told him everything I know about last night," said Pat Shannon, manager at the restaurant operated by her father, Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon.

Hancock, Pat Shannon said, declined an offer for a cab. Shannon declined to say if Hancock consumed alcohol at the restaurant, instead referring the question to police. "
I was thinking the same thing heyzeus. It's been in my mind, but now's not the time to talk about that.

Right now, let's remember Josh Hancock for all the good things.

Whatever comes out later, well...it just comes out.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

lukethedrifter wrote:I don't know who may yet check in on this thread but I feel the need to express a few things.

The first is a bit of a warning from my line of work. If you have an accident on the highway do whatever you can to get your vehicle and/or yourself out of harm's way. I cannot tell you the number of times that I have been on an accident scene where people are walking around on the highway like it's the sidewalk. Pull off to the shoulder if you can and always be wary of the oncoming traffic, never assume that they see you.
One young man's life was spared because this wrecker driver was blocking traffic for him.
Which brings me to the second thing. I can't tell you how much we (rescue personnel) appreciate when the Highway Assist or tow truck drivers assist us in controlling the flow of traffic to, hopefully, avoid a secondary collision. Give me a house fire any day over standing on the highway with people flying through, not paying attention.

I don't know what it was that was distracting Josh, and I know that I am at times guilty as well of not paying my full attention to the road. But let's let this remind us to get our eyes and focus back to the road ahead of us, that we can avoid this sort of thing.

Goodbye Josh Hancock.
That's a great post luke. Thanks for sharing.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

heyzeus wrote:I wonder how the management, coaching staff Jimmy, Izzy, and Albert feel right now, having to revisit the pain of losing a teammate.

Are there any other current Cards that were on the 2002 team when we lost Kile?
Taguchi, maybe. He only played 19 games in 2002. Don't remember if he was with the team then or not.

GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

I've made it known that I do not like Brian McKenna from KFNS. But this morning was the best I've ever heard McKenna. And he pointed out something I had completely forgotten. When the Cardinals held their World Series DVD showing, Hancock was the only Cardinal to show up, presumably because he enjoyed being with the fans and living as a Cardinal.

Izzyman
Everyday Player

Post by Izzyman »

This is a very sad time for the Cardinal family.
Goodbye Josh.