Has there ever been a more hollow .292?

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Has there ever been a more hollow .292?

Post by Popeye_Card »

GatewaySnayke wrote:Ollie is rooted in being realistic. The first two situations are good sense. And since Ollie is a dude, he would most certainly not suggest that his friend get checked for the clap.
Ollie would also have to wear a protective cup, because he'd get a lot of dick punches. People who start nearly every response with "yeah, but" are incredibly annoying to be around.

--P--

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
greenback44 wrote: me:extra month of service time::you:backups' OPS

I don't see the loss of an option as much of an issue either. Unless he needs many, many more years of seasoning (in which case he really shouldn't be at AA), it's not at all hard to hide him on the roster as a backup catcher.
Chances are, in the 44 PA's Stinnett had, Anderson would have struggled against MLB pitching anyway. So what's the real point? At his age, he should be getting as many PA's as possible in AA or AAA, not hanging around as a backup on a MLB bench for a month. I don't see the need to mess with Anderson at all for the extra production you might get out of him in 44 PA's on a team that's going nowhere anyway
As I stated above, the main point wouldn't be the extra OPS though. One specific thing I'll throw out there, with certain staffing changes looming large, I think it would've been beneficial to Anderson to have spent a month of quality time with Duncan and LaRussa, maybe Bennett too.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I wonder to what extent players like Yadi are aware of players like Anderson.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

docellis wrote:I wonder to what extent players like Yadi are aware of players like Anderson.

In our interview with Anderson:
GRB: Did you get to talk with Yadi much?

Anderson: Yes, Yadi would actually pick me and another guy up at the hotel every morning and drive us to the ballpark. He's a really good guy, very nice; it was great being able to work with him for a few weeks.

GRB: It sounds like he's pretty generous with his time.

Anderson: Yeah, he's awesome, just a great guy.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
greenback44 wrote: me:extra month of service time::you:backups' OPS

I don't see the loss of an option as much of an issue either. Unless he needs many, many more years of seasoning (in which case he really shouldn't be at AA), it's not at all hard to hide him on the roster as a backup catcher.
Chances are, in the 44 PA's Stinnett had, Anderson would have struggled against MLB pitching anyway. So what's the real point? At his age, he should be getting as many PA's as possible in AA or AAA, not hanging around as a backup on a MLB bench for a month. I don't see the need to mess with Anderson at all for the extra production you might get out of him in 44 PA's on a team that's going nowhere anyway.

Is he even on the 40-man roster yet? (MLB.com says no, but it's not always accurate)

--P--
He's not, and neither is Rasmus. Neither have to be put on there until after this season. And actually, it may be after next year. I'm not entirely sure. That's why you won't see them added in September.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

docellis wrote:I wonder to what extent players like Yadi are aware of players like Anderson.
In some respects I would guess very aware and at the same time not aware at all. Unless you are Pujols/Bonds/Ortiz etc..., you pretty much know that there is always going to be someone breathing down your neck. All you can do is go out and play your best and put it out of your mind. No way you survive by dwelling on something like that, although implicitly you know it.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Michael wrote:

In our interview with Anderson:
GRB: Did you get to talk with Yadi much?

Anderson: Yes, Yadi would actually pick me and another guy up at the hotel every morning and drive us to the ballpark. He's a really good guy, very nice; it was great being able to work with him for a few weeks.

GRB: It sounds like he's pretty generous with his time.

Anderson: Yeah, he's awesome, just a great guy.

I forgot about that. I guess it really wasn't that long ago that Matheny was in that situation with Yadi.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

But to what extent does Yadi know what Anderson is doing on a daily basis. We know that Anderson knows everything Yadi does everyday. I doubt Yadi follows Anderson much at all.