Has there ever been a more hollow .292?

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Has there ever been a more hollow .292?

Post by Michael »

I don't see any reason to rush Anderson.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

Michael wrote:I don't see any reason to rush Anderson.
I don't see it as rushing him, so much as getting his feet wet. If he's going to be a starting catcher in the majors, he's got some stuff to learn that goes beyond OPS and caught-stealing percentage.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

greenback44 wrote:
Michael wrote:I don't see any reason to rush Anderson.
I don't see it as rushing him, so much as getting his feet wet. If he's going to be a starting catcher in the majors, he's got some stuff to learn that goes beyond OPS and caught-stealing percentage.
But getting his feet wet uses an option and starts his clock.

--P--

stretch
Perennial All-Star

Post by stretch »

Anderson had two months above A ball when Molina went down.

Low A ball.

Lamenting that he didn't get one months playing time seems kind of pointless to me.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

New Pagodi wrote:because of some supposed intangibles those terrible players bring with them.
You're inferring a lot there. Taguchi is versatile in late innings. I think he's pretty even vs. lefties and righties. He can steal a base. Those things are very tangible.

Molina brings talent and excitement on the defensive end. That's up to everyone to decide for themselves how much they value that sort of thing. The team can win with Molina. We won 100 games with him in '05. For this fan, I find the game more riveting with Molina in it.

Miles and taguchi are both decent contact guys. If there's a guy in scoring position in the bottom of the ninth and we need a run, I don't have a problem trotting them out there. I'd prefer a bit more power on the bench, but the situation doesn't always warrant that.

stretch
Perennial All-Star

Post by stretch »

ghostrunner wrote:Molina brings talent and excitement on the defensive end. That's up to everyone to decide for themselves how much they value that sort of thing. The team can win with Molina. We won 100 games with him in '05. For this fan, I find the game more riveting with Molina in it.
Whether you find the game more riveting doesn't bring W's to the table.

GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

How obvious is it that you've been waiting, possibly even hoping, that Yadi would eventually cool off from his .290 days so you could once again chime in about how you've always been right about his poor hitting.
Look in the post game thread from last night. It just happened. But it is fun to chime in about how I've always been right. I love being right.
although I've argued for two seasons in a row that he's our everyday catcher and that he's a better hitter than what the .216 in '06 would indicate.
I don't think so. He's got a few more singles to drop in. I'd like to see his batted ball data before making that claim, because nothing I've seen with my own two eyes has lead me to believe that he's even a decent hitter.
So why are you so quick to criticize his hitting, the moment it hits .260, unless you have some vested interest in seeing him fail?
I was "criticizing" him (as some of the board put it) when he was hitting .292, so I'm not sure why you would be surprised when I'm "criticizing" him for hitting his weight. Also, I criticized Chris Duncan not too long ago and he has made me eat those words. So it's not like hell hath no fury for just YaMo and Aaron Miles.
Are you that concerned about looking bad on an internet forum that you'd actually take solace in seeing a Cardinal perform as you predicted (poorly)?
Actually, I would like to see Molina perform poorly. The poorlier he plays, the longer that light bulb stays on in the front office that if a better alternative comes up, he should demoted to backup. And it's not like the Cardinals are playing for anything but pride.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I think this thread is a good candidate for the Archives forum. It has a lot of good drama.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

GatewaySnayke wrote:
although I've argued for two seasons in a row that he's our everyday catcher and that he's a better hitter than what the .216 in '06 would indicate.
I don't think so. He's got a few more singles to drop in. I'd like to see his batted ball data before making that claim, because nothing I've seen with my own two eyes has lead me to believe that he's even a decent hitter.
You don't think he's any better than a .216 hitter?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

GatewaySnayke wrote:
Actually, I would like to see Molina perform poorly. The poorlier he plays, the longer that light bulb stays on in the front office that if a better alternative comes up, he should demoted to backup. And it's not like the Cardinals are playing for anything but pride.
I guess everyone is a fan of the Cardinals for different reasons... :?

--P--