Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
fulldeck
Perennial All-Star

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Post by fulldeck »

Socnorb11 wrote:
fulldeck wrote:Rebuilding years = losing. Pujols doesn't like losing. I don't like the thought of Pujols wearing pinstripes.

I sure hope the Cardinals brain trust is connecting the same dots I am here.

Pujols is already locked in, whether the Cardinals win or lose. He's under contract.
He will walk as soon as he can if they keeping losing now.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Do you think that Jocketty's way of "calling shots" would work in today's market? He hasn't "outsmarted" the other GM's for a few years now. The days of being able to con another team into giving up McGwire and Edmonds for chump change seem to be gone.
Sure, I think it would. There will be small market teams teams willing to unload expensive salaries, they just don't have the pieces to get them.

Jocketty needs a successful farm system in a similar manner as Cashman does with the Yankees. Get a bluechip prospect every couple of years (Morris, Ankiel, Drew, Pujols, etc.) keep them as part of the core and use the secondary prospects to acquire established and expensive ready made players like Smith and Polanco for Rolen.

It won't work without a farm system, though, and that's what has hurt the Cards.
UK - do you have an opinion on Mozeliak and whether he will throw his hat in the ring? Be considered a serious candidate? Fits in with the build from within philosophy?

Also, who do you think from outside the organization would be a good GM match for what DeWitt is trying to do?
I don't know enough about Mozeliak to comment either way, it's a luxury to have an in-house candidate as you know his work ethic, his instincts, his ability to learn, and his ability to work with others moreso than from a second hand source. If he's being considered, it would tell you something about those qualities and hopefully he's not a 100% yes man, if the btm line is clouded by penny saving rather than strictly baseball.

Meph will disagree with me, but I think Logan White of the Dodgers is the best GM available, but as he mentioned Antonetti would be a good choice as well. Just hope he would be aggressive with high ceiling & likely unsignable at slot high school players (especially on the mound).
Last edited by UK on October 3 07, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Legynd:

Pujols' contract has him making $13mil in 2010... and he has an option for 2011 at $16mil.

Rolen is also under contract for 2010... at $12.63mil.

http://russells.freeshell.org/ddollars/ ... =Cardinals

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

fulldeck wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
fulldeck wrote:Rebuilding years = losing. Pujols doesn't like losing. I don't like the thought of Pujols wearing pinstripes.

I sure hope the Cardinals brain trust is connecting the same dots I am here.

Pujols is already locked in, whether the Cardinals win or lose. He's under contract.
He will walk as soon as he can if they keeping losing now.

I'm not prepared to worry about 2011 just yet. I'd be more worried about signing some pitchers for 2008, rather than re-signing Pujols for 2011.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Legynd wrote:That's just the point, Fan in NY; DeWitt is announcing a change in policy. Hold the line on the budget. Look, even if you say we'll just have to eat it next year, then we get 16 million freed up from Izzy's and Edmonds' contracts expiring, you still have the Pujols commitment, Rolen's contract, Carpenter's contract. This year, Ankiel is arbitration eligible; his agent is Scott Boras. Even if Boras takes it easy on us this year because Ankiel only played part of the year, what happens if Ankiel has the year we all hope he has next year. That means in 2009 we'll have:...Legynd
I'm not going to quote the whole thing cause it would be very very long post, but you are projecting your major league team 4 years out. No major league team holds onto their starting lineup or rotation for 4 years. Things change. Players get hurt, traded, or leave. Even the successful Jocketty years saw 4-7 players leave a year. I dont think you can go on a payroll woe-is-me for that long into the future. Economics change, teams change. And some of your numbers are pretty inflated. Rick Ankiel will not be earning close to 8M in arbitration. Miguel Cabrera is probably going to sit somewhere around 9M, Rick Ankiel has been at his position in the majors for a couple months, and he is no Miguel Cabrera.

And I loved the Jocketty/TLR years (in fact I hope the TLR years are extended), but I dont see how Jocketty leaving makes this team any more of a "trade them when they hit arbitration" organization.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

Secret Weapon wrote:
Legynd wrote: If you insist you have to have a "mid-market payroll," what are you going to do when Albert's next contract comes due?
We've had a top 10 payroll pretty much every year Dewitt has been here. He says he will spend the money when the right player comes along, and he has proven himself to do that, so I believe him. Last offseason there was nobody worth overspending on, so they refrained. We almost overspent for Schmidt, but thankfully we didn't. I don't mind a prudent approach as long as you do buck up when the time is right, and like I said, Dewitt has done that.
How do they say it, QFT? I'm more concerned with the identity of the owner than the identity of the GM. It's a lot easier to find a competent GM than a guy with huge truckloads of money that will be invested in baseball players.

It's too bad about Jocketty, but the front office's off-the-record whining about payroll should've sealed his fate. If he's not willing to work with somebody like Luhnow, then that's obviously not going to help either. If he was that unhappy, he should've announced his resignation a couple of weeks ago, as Terry Ryan did.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

a lot of doom and gloom creeped into this thread while I drove home from work.

The Cards are an upper tier team in terms of budget. They are. It's tough to argue that.

If we can't afford to pay the doom and gloom salary numbers that are being thrown about, neither will 25 other teams in the majors. The market eventually has to correct itself a bit.

Ownership is not talking about doing what the Royals have done. Not one mention of decreasing budget (and they'd have to decrease the budget a TON to get into that state). All they've stated is that we need to build more from within, presumably to get some cheaper players on the roster that will allow the rest of our budget to cover the big money guys like Pujols. I completely agree with that philosophy.

If it's not one Walt could follow, so be it. I'll reserve my hate/venom/vitriol for the ownership and despair for the future until the team and the people running it actually do something to harm it (like lowering the budget in the face of rising free agent salaries).

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Legynd wrote: I could be wrong about the Cards' future. I hope I'm wrong. But I saw what happened when Kansas City decided to "build from within."

Legynd
What do you think happens if KC had retained their players when it came time for the to enter free agency and added a few free agents? Be a pretty good team now, i can see stl doing that, theve seen what happened in KC and im sure ownership doesnt want that to happen.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

Cards Talk is on the verge of another implosion.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

While I don't think Jocketty was treated fairly, I think this was a good move. He hasn't added a significant player to the roster since 2004 and he doesn't excel in player development. The market doesn't suit his strengths and it has showed in the lack of significant trades and free agent signings made by the team recently. A change could be good. So could a more aggressive approach.