Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Ace
Perennial All-Star

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Post by Ace »

jagtrader wrote:While I don't think Jocketty was treated fairly, I think this was a good move. He hasn't added a significant player to the roster since 2004 and he doesn't excel in player development. The market doesn't suit his strengths and it has showed in the lack of significant trades and free agent signings made by the team recently. A change could be good. So could a more aggressive approach.
++

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

UK wrote:Meph will disagree with me, but I think Logan White of the Dodgers is the best GM available, but as he mentioned Antonetti would be a good choice as well. Just hope he would be aggressive with high ceiling & likely unsignable at slot high school players (especially on the mound).
Just read up a little on White, and he does sound like the right guy to target. I don't know anything about Antonetti - is he with the Cubs?

Here's a snip on White I stole from, of all places, Cards Talk.
Logan White begins his sixth season with the Dodgers and first as Assistant General Manager, Scouting. In this capacity, White's primary responsibilities are overseeing the organization's amateur and international scouting efforts, including the annual June First-Year Player Draft, along with assisting the GM in various capacities.
Prior to this season, White served as the Director of Amateur Scouting for the Dodgers for five seasons. In that role, he headed up the draft selections of seven players who appeared in the Major Leagues for the Dodgers last season - Chad Billingsley, Jonathan Broxton, Russell Martin, James Loney, Matt Kemp, Eric Stults and Delwyn Young. Along with his staff of amateur scouts, White's history of success in the draft, helped lead to the Dodgers being named Baseball America's 2006 Organization of the Year.

White has had unparalleled success in his first five drafts for the Dodgers, as his June 2004 First-Year Player draft was rated by Baseball America as the best draft in the National League and second best in baseball. His 2003 draft was tabbed as the best in the Major Leagues by the publication and his 2002 Draft was rated as the fourth-best draft in baseball. The Dodgers were the only team to have their draft rated in the top five in each of those three seasons.

In the club's most recent draft, the club's top selection, Clayton Kershaw, had one of the best professional debuts of any pitcher in baseball, going 2-0 with a 1.95 ERA in the Gulf Coast League. White also utilized the club's two compensatory first-round picks to select highly-regarded infielder Preston Mattingly and pitcher Brian Morris.

In 2005, White's 10th-round selection Trayvon Robinson was rated by Baseball America as the second-fastest runner by season's end. First baseman Cory Dunlap, the Dodgers' third-round selection in the June 2004 First-Year Player Draft, was rated by Baseball America as having the top season by a junior college player from the draft after his All-Star season playing for Rookie-level Ogden in the Pioneer League. Additionally, third baseman Blake DeWitt, the Dodgers' second first-round selection and 28th overall pick of the 2004 draft, was rated by the magazine as having the fourth-best season by a high school draft pick.

The Dodgers' first selection in 2003 and 24th overall choice that year, Billingsley, was rated the third closest to the Majors of all high school players drafted. The club's 2002 first selection and 19th overall pick, Loney, was rated as the second-best high school player taken, the best pure hitter and the second-closest high school player to reaching the Major Leagues.

Prior to joining the Dodgers, White spent seven years with the Baltimore Orioles as the West Coast Supervisor with responsibilities including overseeing all area scouts from the Western part of the United States, as well as evaluating players in Canada and Australia.

White's scouting experience is extensive, as he served as the West Coast Supervisor for the San Diego Padres from 1993-95, an area scout with Baltimore from 1990-92, and an associate scout with the Seattle Mariners from 1988-89. He was a minor league pitcher in the Seattle Mariners organization from 1984-87 and was signed by Jeff Malinoff.

Originally from Portales, NM, White graduated from Western New Mexico University with honors, and was an Academic All-American in 1984. In 1996, he was inducted into the Western New Mexico University Hall of Fame. White, his wife Deena and son, Logan, Jr., reside in Phoenix, AZ

PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Post by PujolJunkie »

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

I'm gonna ignore the Jocketty comments for a second and go here:

Do any of you actually think that this orginization would let Albert Pujols walk away? The endorsements, the resturant, the fans, everything. Albert Pujols IS the Cardinals. Without him, we're the bottom of the barrel. Albert Pujols will NOT leave St. Louis. It's not going to happen. You can doom and gloom all you want for the next year as far as I care, but clear the notion from your head that Albert is going anywhere.

fulldeck
Perennial All-Star

Post by fulldeck »

This is what Albert has to say after one losing season. What will he say after two or three if the team rebuilds?

LINK
"We finished on a winning streak, but that doesn't mean anything," said Albert Pujols. "We still didn't take care of business like we wanted to take care of it. It doesn't matter what happened. We didn't take care of business, even if we would have won 10 games in a row. Obviously, it's positive at the end of the season, but still, we fell short."
We all know he cannot stand losing.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

fulldeck wrote:This is what Albert has to say after one losing season. What will he say after two or three if the team rebuilds?

LINK
"We finished on a winning streak, but that doesn't mean anything," said Albert Pujols. "We still didn't take care of business like we wanted to take care of it. It doesn't matter what happened. We didn't take care of business, even if we would have won 10 games in a row. Obviously, it's positive at the end of the season, but still, we fell short."
That sounds like sound bite speak to me. Not that I don't think Albert cares about winning, but he's got a contract. There's no opt out clause.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Here's some more in-depth on Logan White:
http://sportsblogs.latimes.com/sports_b ... _lo_1.html

http://sportsblogs.latimes.com/sports_b ... of_ou.html

Chris Antonetti is the assistant to Shapiro of the Tribe, young gifted mind, Ivy League educated, works under a great GM in Clev.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

fulldeck wrote:What will he say after two or three if the team rebuilds?
The exact same thing.

PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Post by PujolJunkie »

haltz wrote:
fulldeck wrote:What will he say after two or three if the team rebuilds?
The exact same thing.
Exactly. I highly HIGHLY doubt that Albert would abandon the team and/or city just because we start losing. I HIGGGGGHLY doubt Albert will finish his career in any other uniform that doesn't have Birds + Bat on it.

skmsw
Perennial All-Star

Post by skmsw »

Sure, I think it would. There will be small market teams teams willing to unload expensive salaries, they just don't have the pieces to get them.
There simply are fewer and fewer of those salary dumps. Revenue sharing, XM, mlb.com, the new network deal, the new union deal: the bottom teams have enough money to keep their one or two stars (making fewer young impact players available via trade), the medium teams have enough money to target a high-priced player or two (thus driving up salaries), and the upper-tier revenue monsters can still spend pretty lavishly.

Meanwhile, the fact that they "don't have the pieces to get them" MIGHT not be a complete coincidence. If Walt was running his program in a way that those players were not forthcoming (and in all fairness, that is why the minor league system was overhauled and he was shut out of it), then that's a pretty big gap even if those trade-for players WERE still out there. It means that if Walt's THE guy, then not only is the market drier for his preferred method, but also, for what market there is, he stopped producing the chips he needed to get to the table.

fulldeck
Perennial All-Star

Post by fulldeck »

planet pujolsian wrote:
fulldeck wrote:This is what Albert has to say after one losing season. What will he say after two or three if the team rebuilds?

LINK
That sounds like sound bite speak to me. Not that I don't think Albert cares about winning, but he's got a contract. There's no opt out clause.
He might not have an opt out clause but he doesn't have full no trade protection anymore. All he has to do is voice to the right people that he doesn't like losing anymore and the team can make a change. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened. I seriously think that the team is playing with fire if they think he will live through the rebuilding years waiting for the minor leaguers to mature.

It would be a waste of his talent.