Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Post by Magneto2.0 »

BW23 wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
BW23 wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:We'll see if it's good or bad, but I will say, I haven't had much faith in Walt recently, and his obsession with getting retreads has worn thin with me.
Why has he gotten retreads?
Because we have made bad choices in some trades and also because we haven't drafted well.
Yep. That's the only reason. Right?

And you mention bad trades. There's Mulder and.....
I would say payroll, but it's 90+ million, that's more then reasonable if you make right personal decisions and develop from within. It's more bad signings then it is trades.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

BenNX74205 wrote:[*Jocketty has had a great run in StL: in 13 years, 7 playoff appearances, 3 NL pennants (I thought we only had 2...), and 1 World Series ("an unlikely one, but still, the flag looks the same") (I guess he couldn't resist taking one more shot...)
We did only have 2...good reason to take what he says with a grain of salt.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

So, Tony probably isn't going to come back unless he knows who will be hired as GM (why would he sign if he didn't know who he would be working with) so who knows how long this could drag on...

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

BenNX74205 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Has anyone with Insider access read the Keith Law article about Jocketty? Sounds like he's defending Walt, but I can't read past the first paragraph?
To summarize:
*Jocketty has had a great run in StL: in 13 years, 7 playoff appearances, 3 NL pennants (I thought we only had 2...), and 1 World Series ("an unlikely one, but still, the flag looks the same") (I guess he couldn't resist taking one more shot...)
*J let go due to non-baseball reasons, but the baseball reasons sometimes should win out over those concerns (implication is that they should so in J's case)
*Recap of J's greatest moves (Rolen trade, Edmonds trade, Carp original signing, Drew trade)
*J's major failing (if there is one) is the weak farm system, but control of that has been taken away in the last few years and the drafts during that time hasn't been very good anyways
*Luhnow's position and power gains was a detriment to several of J's long-time lieutenants
*Situation where GM does not have full power over scouting and personnel is unique, and even more unusual considering J's track record
*If L is untouchable, many GM candidates with strengths in scouting or player development will balk at the lack of control over that area due to L's presence and power.
*May be forced to fill position from within (Mozeliak would be a solid internal choice), or pick someone who cares more about "being GM" than they care about the lack of control
*J should have his pick of positions, given his reputation and track record
*One of J's first questions of a prospective employer will be "Can I pick my own scouting director?"

Sounds like a pretty good summary of J's tenure, and the odd situation the Cards have put themselves in.
Thanks Ben.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Socnorb11 wrote:
thrill wrote:Albert is a young guy who has only had one manager/gm/pitching coach combo. It's natural that he is upset about this. I don't think it will take anything more than putting together a competitive team to keep him happy going forward.

We don't know that he's upset. Speculation seems to be spreading on the message boards, but for all we know, Pujols might be thrilled.
Unless Albert's quote from earlier in the thread was made up, he isn't thrilled.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

thrill wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
thrill wrote:Albert is a young guy who has only had one manager/gm/pitching coach combo. It's natural that he is upset about this. I don't think it will take anything more than putting together a competitive team to keep him happy going forward.

We don't know that he's upset. Speculation seems to be spreading on the message boards, but for all we know, Pujols might be thrilled.
Unless Albert's quote from earlier in the thread was made up, he isn't thrilled.

Which quote? Maybe I missed it......

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

BenNX74205 wrote: *Jocketty has had a great run in StL: in 13 years, 7 playoff appearances, 3 NL pennants (I thought we only had 2...), and 1 World Series ("an unlikely one, but still, the flag looks the same") (I guess he couldn't resist taking one more shot...)
RC put this is perpsective for me. I'm using a completely different analogy, but basically WJ put together several teams that had a shot. The last 3 years were like giving an NBA point guard three shots - on from the 3 point arc, one from 10 feet beyond the arc, and one from half court. It maybe unlikely that we hit the one that we hit, but it's not at all unlikely at all that we hit one...