Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by GatewaySnayke »

Yes, this should be THE thread for discussion on the election. There should probably be separate ones for the debates, but I thought I would kick this off with Obama slamming McCain:
Obama, a Democrat from Illinois, in turn, said between campaign stops in St. Louis Tuesday, "I've said that McCain is running to serve out a third Bush term. But the truth is, when it comes to taxes, that's not being fair to George Bush. McCain wants to add $300 billion more in tax breaks and loopholes for big corporations and the wealthy and he hasn't even explained how to pay for it."
http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/ ... 684&page=1

But then, McCain gets slammed by fact.
McCain favors extending tax cuts enacted under President Bush, cuts that the Democrats have charged favor the wealthy. Although McCain initially agreed with the Democrats and opposed the tax cuts, he has since made preserving them a central part of his economic plans.
Last edited by GatewaySnayke on October 8 08, 4:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD

Post by cpebbles »

I wonder if the Keating scandal is too old to be used effectively against McCain. IMO, they could use that to frame the argument that McCain has been inconsistently trying to define himself to make himself a more palatable candidate. He took more money than any of the other Senators for intervening on Keating's behalf, then later made campaign finance reform a keystone issue of his when it became a popular cause in part due to the scandal he had been involved in. He reinvented himself as a "maverick" in the mid 90s while gearing up for his first Presidential run, even waffling on issues like abortion (Seriously, who is still deciding how he feels about abortion in his 60s?), but instantly fell in lock-step with the Republican party line as soon as public sentiment shifted following 9/11. Strikes me as an effective line of attack. Which McCain is the real McCain?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

cpebbles wrote: instantly fell in lock-step with the Republican party line as soon as public sentiment shifted following 9/11.
That's not at all true. McCain-Feingold is disliked by most Republicans I know and he continued to push it after 9/11. McCain's immigration bill is disliked by the same people, and he knew that going in. Of course, he's backed off of those ideas after running, but he hasn't exactly disavowed them either. He was critical of Bush's handling of the Iraq war, while supporting it in general. He was one of the only Republicans doing so at the time and took some heat for it along with Chuck Hagel and a few others. He voted no on the constitutional ban of same sex marriage, and favors leaving it to the states.

The maverick thing is exaggerated and he does/did play it up, but its' not for nothing that a lot of the "conservative" Republicans don't care for him.

The S&L scandal is a black mark for sure, but it's too complicated to be an issue for the average joe, IMO. I barely recall the details myself.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

:shock:

If we're going to discuss the election, can we at least have the topic line neutral out of fairness?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

McCain doesn't even seem real to me. If you like cut him oepn wires and stuff would just pop out. If you heit jhm in the jaw he his head woudl act liek rock in sockem robots.

I think he is just lick candy ricel

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

jim wrote:rock in sockem robots.
=D>

PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Post by PujolJunkie »

jim wrote:McCain doesn't even seem real to me. If you like cut him oepn wires and stuff would just pop out. If you heit jhm in the jaw he his head woudl act liek rock in sockem robots.

I have a new sig.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

jim wrote:McCain doesn't even seem real to me. If you like cut him oepn wires and stuff would just pop out. If you heit jhm in the jaw he his head woudl act liek rock in sockem robots.

I don't recall jim drunkposting before. I like it.

GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

AdmiralKird wrote::shock: If we're going to discuss the election, can we at least have the topic line neutral out of fairness?
Looks fair to me. Obama is a terrorist who is definitely associated with Al Qaeda and McCain is too old.

This topic line epitomizes what we will be hearing for the next 4+ months.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

lukethedrifter wrote:

I don't recall jim drunkposting before. I like it.
drunkposting jim is awesome.