Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD

Post by PujolJunkie »

clevername wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
jim wrote:McCain doesn't even seem real to me. If you like cut him oepn wires and stuff would just pop out. If you heit jhm in the jaw he his head woudl act liek rock in sockem robots.

I think he is just lick candy ricel
I don't recall jim drunkposting before. I like it.
drunkposting jim is awesome.
Can we get jim a constant IV of alcohol? I mean, I love sober jim. But his drunkposting performance is almost unmatched. ALMOST.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

ghostrunner wrote:That's not at all true. McCain-Feingold is disliked by most Republicans I know and he continued to push it after 9/11. McCain's immigration bill is disliked by the same people, and he knew that going in. Of course, he's backed off of those ideas after running, but he hasn't exactly disavowed them either. He was critical of Bush's handling of the Iraq war, while supporting it in general. He was one of the only Republicans doing so at the time and took some heat for it along with Chuck Hagel and a few others. He voted no on the constitutional ban of same sex marriage, and favors leaving it to the states.

The maverick thing is exaggerated and he does/did play it up, but its' not for nothing that a lot of the "conservative" Republicans don't care for him.
Nobody sides with the party line 100% of the time. Another true statement: Almost no Republican Senator sided with the party line more often than McCain in his last two Senate terms. He's known for playing up his "maverick" status in the press, which to an extent cuts both ways in eroding his conservative support, but in the absence of any appealing third party conservative candidate it's going to be a net benefit in this election, which I think has been his intention all along.
The S&L scandal is a black mark for sure, but it's too complicated to be an issue for the average joe, IMO. I barely recall the details myself.
In talking-point form: Reagan deregulated S&Ls, Charles Keating made risky investments and bankrupted the S&L he headed. The government bailed it out, spending over $3 billion to cover the bank's debts to lenders (But not some of the senior citizens who lost their life savings). Keating paid over $300k to five Senators (McCain the largest beneficiary) who tried to talk the government investigator into dropping criminal investigation into him. The Senators were officially rebuked for "questionable conduct."

Really, all that needs to be impressed on voters is the $3 billion buyout figure and the fact that he took over $100k to intervene on the culprit's behalf. Even folks who don't really understand the scandal can tell a bribe when they see one.
Last edited by cpebbles on June 12 08, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

PujolJunkie wrote:
clevername wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
jim wrote:McCain doesn't even seem real to me. If you like cut him oepn wires and stuff would just pop out. If you heit jhm in the jaw he his head woudl act liek rock in sockem robots.

I think he is just lick candy ricel
I don't recall jim drunkposting before. I like it.
drunkposting jim is awesome.
Can we get jim a constant IV of alcohol? I mean, I love sober jim. But his drunkposting performance is almost unmatched. ALMOST.
Jim has been hitting it a bit lately, n'est ce pas?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

While admitting that I lean strongly anti-W, the more I see and learn about John McCain the more disingenuous he seems and the less I like about him.
I also don't think spending five years in a POW camp is good training to become POTUS. Clearly I don't hold it against him- and in fact have a great understanding of what a sacrifice he made- but I know why he's playing it up on his ads, appeal to nationalistic "patriotism".

I think Obama is going to get routed in this election because he gives nuanced replies to difficult questions, which we here in America don't like, and his blackness is an issue for possibly enough Democrats to make the math not work.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

mccain seems so fake to me. when i see him give those "thumbs up"...i dont know...it just seems SO fake...and, he's old...im sorry, but hes out of touch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

im woried about this type of stuff...
Michelle Obama was widely criticized on conservative blogs when she said "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country" at an appearance on behalf of her husband in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in February.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/12/ ... index.html

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I feel that these should make the trip over to the new thread.
Popeye_Card wrote:Image

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Jocephus wrote:mccain seems so fake to me. when i see him give those "thumbs up"...i dont know...it just seems SO fake...and, he's old...im sorry, but hes out of touch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

im woried about this type of stuff...
Michelle Obama was widely criticized on conservative blogs when she said "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country" at an appearance on behalf of her husband in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in February.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/12/ ... index.html
I think the populace is tired of that kind of crap. With all of the challenges now like bad economy, two wars, steroids in sports, I really don't think most Americans care if Michelle Obama isn't as proud as she should be of this country. Plus, Barack Obama is really hard to dislike. He's young, good looking, in good shape, extremely articulate, very intelligent, and he doesn't equivocate very much. It'll take more than the occasional mis-speak or overly candid moment to really hurt him.

I'm not saying he's going to win, but he has a hell of a good chance. McCain just appears so old and out of step in comparison. I think the contrasts between the two are going to be painfully obvious, to McCain's detriment, when the two start debating each other.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

I can't imagine McCain is going to want to make the wives fair game. I'll be surprised if Obama's comment becomes an issue.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

yeah, mebbe not specifically the m. obama comment, but just those in general, for both sides (even though i want obama to win).

i think g.k may be right though, people are pissed and are not going to focus on those kind of things (though, part of me isn't confident about that)

but, going back to m. obama's quote..part of me is like, "whats wrong with what she said? a black woman growing up in america is going to have a different perspective than a white woman (cindy mccain)"....

i do think that "white america" has a "problem"...

MK-ULTRA
Everyday Player

Post by MK-ULTRA »

What is all this talk about Obama being black? He is the whitest person I have ever seen/heard.