GDT 7/29/09-Dodgers(Kershaw) at Cardinals (Piñeiro) 7:15

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
fanforever
Retired

GDT 7/29/09-Dodgers(Kershaw) at Cardinals (Piñeiro) 7:15

Post by fanforever »

Los AngelesImage (62-38) at St. Louis Image (55-48)

July 29, 2009
8:15 PM ET, 7:15 PM CT, 6:15 PM MT, 5:15 PM PT
Busch Stadium, St. Louis, Missouri
TV: PRIM, FSMW
RADIO: KTRS 550

ImageImage
C. Kershaw (8-5, 2.96) J. Piñeiro (9-9, 2.95)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview?gid=290729124

Every team in the majors has lost at least three straight games this season. The Los Angeles Dodgers can be proud that they were the final club to experience a three-game skid.

With their offense struggling in the first two games of this four-game series, the Dodgers hope to break out Wednesday night against the St. Louis Cardinals in a matchup of division leaders.

Los Angeles (62-38) fell at home to Florida on Sunday before opening a seven-game road trip with a 6-1 loss in Monday’s series opener. The Dodgers were again shut down by the Cardinals (55-48) on Tuesday, losing 10-0 as Adam Wainwright(notes) moved into a tie for the major league lead with his 12th victory.

The three-game skid is the longest for the Dodgers since an eight-game slide Aug. 22-29. They went a franchise-record 99 games without losing three in a row before falling in their 100th contest, shattering the previous mark of 73 games set in 1965.
The Series:

July 27, 2009-Final St. Louis 6 Los Angeles 1
July 28, 2009-Final St. Louis 10 Los Angeles 0
July 29, 2009-LA (Kershaw) @ STL (Piñeiro) 7:15 PM CDT
July 30, 2009-LA (Kuroda) @ STL (Lohse) 7:15 PM CDT

Last Night:

St. Louis 10 Los Angeles 0
WP: A. Wainwright (12-6)
LP: C. Billingsley (10-6)
HR: STL - M. DeRosa (6)

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290728124

Cards light up Billingsley in 6th as Wainwright silences Dodgers
Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Adam Wainwright and Chad Billingsley matched zeroes for five innings. Wainwright kept going long after the St. Louis Cardinals roughed up the 10-game winner.

Wainwright scattered eight hits in eight innings and the Cardinals scored six runs in the sixth inning of a 10-0 victory Tuesday night that saddled the Dodgers with their first three-game losing streak of the season.

"My main focus was just to keep going and outlast him," Wainwright said. "Our offense, we're kind of like the Rams when they won the Super Bowl, that quick strike offense.

"Even though he was pitching a great game, I knew our offense would get to him," he said.

The Dodgers have the majors' best record at 62-38 and were the last team to lose three in a row, going a franchise-record 99 games before falling in their 100th game. That shattered the previous mark of 73 games in June 1965.

"We've won a lot of close games, but to go this long only losing two in a row is pretty unusual," manager Joe Torre said. "But we have to get ourselves righted right now."

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Re: GDT 7/29/09-Dodgers(Kershaw) at Cardinals (Piñeiro) 7:15

Post by cards2468 »

I might be going to this game... depends on if I find tickets at a reasonable price

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

Another good pitching matchup! Even with the lopsided scores, this has been a great series so far. Hopefully Joel can keep the good performances going!

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Swingingbunt wrote:Another good pitching matchup! Even with the lopsided scores, this has been a great series so far. Hopefully Joel can keep the good performances going!
Considering all of the hits thus far in the series, I am not sure if Jor-El can pull off another one. Then again, I have no expectations for him anymore. Everything has been exceeded, and I balk at setting new ones.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

JackofDiamonds wrote:
Swingingbunt wrote:Another good pitching matchup! Even with the lopsided scores, this has been a great series so far. Hopefully Joel can keep the good performances going!
Considering all of the hits thus far in the series, I am not sure if Jor-El can pull off another one. Then again, I have no expectations for him anymore. Everything has been exceeded, and I balk at setting new ones.
Yes.

mcgee51taguchi99
Perennial All-Star
Location: Crying/injoyin watching tha Crew in tha Playoffs!!!

Post by mcgee51taguchi99 »

cards2468 wrote:I might be going to this game... depends on if I find tickets at a reasonable price
I sent you a PM, I have three tickets in the bleachers tonight that I'm not planning on using.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I see no reason Jo el won't pitch at minimum a decent game. He's gonna all of a sudden start pitching up in the strike zone? My concern for this series is that Lohse start to pitch better.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

lukethedrifter wrote:I see no reason Jo el won't pitch at minimum a decent game. He's gonna all of a sudden start pitching up in the strike zone? My concern for this series is that Lohse start to pitch better.
No, I don't expect Jor-El to pitch poorly at all. I was more concerned with law of average kind of stuff. The Dodgers hit the [expletive] out of Carpenter and Waino, but weren't able to get timely hits. For a pitcher that gives up a TON of contact (albeit it weak grounder contact) my phear is that the Dodgers squeak 4-5 runs out of him, and we don't get that many against Clayton Kershaw.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

At this point, I would absolutely hate to split this series. That's my biggest fear.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

lukethedrifter wrote:I see no reason Jo el won't pitch at minimum a decent game. He's gonna all of a sudden start pitching up in the strike zone? My concern for this series is that Lohse start to pitch better.
I have confidence that Lohse will come around. I was at the doubleheader game at Wrigley, and he just looked like he needed another rehab start or two. Jim said something along the same lines after his last start. Add to that the fact that Philly has just been punishing opposing pitching lately, and it gives me hope that he'll be fine. We need to get through tonight's game first, but I really like the way this whole series was set up.