GDT 7/29/09-Dodgers(Kershaw) at Cardinals (Piñeiro) 7:15

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Re: GDT 7/29/09-Dodgers(Kershaw) at Cardinals (Piñeiro) 7:15

Post by JackofDiamonds »

cards2468 wrote:
JackofDiamonds wrote:He still went 3-7 last night...with two extra base hits. SLUMP.
When Mang turns the corner, a game like this will be 7-7 with several injuries to fans in Big Mac Land
I don't disagree, but there was an awful lot of doubting for a mang who slumped his way to a 3-7 night.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

well, let's be fair. I believe in The Mang as much as anyone and have commented before that he goes through these slumps each year only to explode and rain terror down upon opposing teams, but his double last night was only his 3rd XBH since the break and the other two came in the first game back.

It was fair to doubt Pujols last night in that situation given how he has performed recently. I don't think that means people think he always should be doubted in those situations as he'll eventually get back to normal.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I watched most of this game at the bowling alley on my friend's Iphone. I almost got in a fight with a sweaty bearded guy in a headband who kept screaming expletives every time he missed a spare. He got kicked out. We won in 15. I think Ryan Franklin trimmed his Amish beard, so I hope he used manual and not electric clippers. And it's about to rain in Austin for the first time in like 4 months. HOO-RAH!

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

To me, Pujols can never be doubted. He built up too much rep to be doubted. Pujols could go 0-100 and I'd still be confident he'd get a hit in any situation.

He's the Michael Jordan of baseball. If Jordan goes 6 for 30 from the court, I still have confidence with him taking the game winning shot.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Magneto2.0 wrote:To me, Pujols can never be doubted. He built up too much rep to be doubted. Pujols could go 0-100 and I'd still be confident he'd get a hit in any situation.

He's the Michael Jordan of baseball. If Jordan goes 6 for 30 from the court, I still have confidence with him taking the game winning shot.
Exactly. Pujols could be injured and in the middle of the worst slump of his career, but in a crucial situation, there is NOBODY in baseball I'd rather have at the plate for me than him.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

cards2468 wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:To me, Pujols can never be doubted. He built up too much rep to be doubted. Pujols could go 0-100 and I'd still be confident he'd get a hit in any situation.

Exactly. Pujols could be injured and in the middle of the worst slump of his career, but in a crucial situation, there is NOBODY in baseball I'd rather have at the plate for me than him.
I think you guys are forgetting that Yadi pretty much never strikes out.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

heyzeus wrote:I watched most of this game at the bowling alley on my friend's Iphone. I almost got in a fight with a sweaty bearded guy in a headband who kept screaming expletives every time he missed a spare.

Guess he wasn't packing last night.

Doesn't he usually roll in the LA area?

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

yeah, I wouldn't want anyone else up in that situation either.

at the same time, he had already been up in the 9th, 11th, and 13th and not come through. They weren't the same situation with a RISP, but still. His status is in the bank, he's the guy you want up there, but that doesn't mean your confidence in him can't go up and down depending on how he is performing.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
cards2468 wrote:

I think you guys are forgetting that Yadi pretty much never strikes out.
But the results are always just hollow

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

heyzeus wrote:I watched most of this game at the bowling alley on my friend's Iphone. I almost got in a fight with a sweaty bearded guy in a headband who kept screaming expletives every time he missed a spare. He got kicked out. We won in 15. I think Ryan Franklin trimmed his Amish beard, so I hope he used manual and not electric clippers. And it's about to rain in Austin for the first time in like 4 months. HOO-RAH!
This guy?