MAGIC NUMBER: 0. CLINCHED!!!

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
haltz
Hall Of Famer

Re: MAGIC NUMBER: 45

Post by haltz »

Michael wrote:I remember Dill created one of these threads in 06. Soon afterwards the cards went on a losing streak and posters genuinely believed it was bad luck. There were major cries to lock it. People were actually worried a magic number thread on a mid-sized message board was impacting the outcome of cards games. Eventually the pressure on poor dill became so great he asked me to lock it.

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

haltz wrote:
Michael wrote:I remember Dill created one of these threads in 06. Soon afterwards the cards went on a losing streak and posters genuinely believed it was bad luck. There were major cries to lock it. People were actually worried a magic number thread on a mid-sized message board was impacting the outcome of cards games. Eventually the pressure on poor dill became so great he asked me to lock it.

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious
less than a week ago we weren't even in first place.. now we have a magic number thread.. also hilarious

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

omaha_red wrote:
haltz wrote:

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious
less than a week ago we weren't even in first place.. now we have a magic number thread.. also hilarious
If we win the 1st couple games of the season and are solely in first place, I don't have a problem starting a magic number thread then; when we fall out of first, just put "infinity" in place of the number. Seriously, let's be rational here. We can't affect the outcome of the games from our computers.

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

cards2468 wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
haltz wrote:

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious
If we win the 1st couple games of the season and are solely in first place, I don't have a problem starting a magic number thread then; when we fall out of first, just put "infinity" in place of the number. Seriously, let's be rational here. We can't affect the outcome of the games from our computers.

i'm not saying we can..i just think it's silly to start a 45 game magic number thread..

it's a bit pompous if you ask me

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

omaha_red wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
haltz wrote:

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious

i'm not saying we can..i just think it's silly to start a 45 game magic number thread..

We could very well lose 1st place and miss the playoffs, so might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

someone ask TLR for permission

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

cards2468 wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
haltz wrote:

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious

We could very well lose 1st place and miss the playoffs, so might as well enjoy it while it lasts.
I believe I control the outcome of the games. Please lock this thread.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

The Magic Number is simply a number that represents how many wins your team needs to make it to the playoffs. It's no different than saying at the start of the season "If we win 162 games we'll get into the playoffs." If the Cubs choose to contribute by losing, all the better, but the magic number represents what's in our control.

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

Holy cow are we really debating this thread.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

The Third Man wrote:Holy cow are we really debating this thread.
Moving this post to "Things that make you go 'REALLY?".

I'm exciteder than hell that the term "magic number" is back in our vernacular. The last two pennant races have sucked, as Cardinals fans.