Comedian Thunderdome: Murray v. Pryor v. Carlin

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.

Murray v. Pryor v. Carlin

Bill Murray
50%
Richard Pryor
9%
George Carlin
41%

Total votes: 58

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Comedian Thunderdome: Murray v. Pryor v. Carlin

Post by ghostrunner »

We had a tie between Murray and Pryor with a record number of votes (as far as I can tell), so they're both in and it's a 3 man final.

Bill Murray - planet pujolsian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Murray
William James "Bill" Murray (born September 21, 1950) is an American actor and comedian. He first gained national exposure on Saturday Night Live, and went on to star in a number of critically and commercially successful comedic films including Caddyshack (1980), Ghostbusters (1984), and Groundhog Day (1993). He gained additional critical acclaim later in his career, starring in Lost in Translation (2003), for which he was nominated for an Academy Award, and a series of films directed by Wes Anderson, including Rushmore (1998) and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004).
[/youtube]

[/youtube]

Richard Pryor - pop_haines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pryor
Richard Franklin Lennox Thomas Pryor III (December 2, 1940 – December 10, 2005) was an American comedian, actor, and writer. Pryor was known for his unflinching examinations of racism and customs in modern life, and was renowned for his frequent use of colorful, vulgar, and profane language and racial epithets. He reached a broad audience with his trenchant observations and storytelling style. He is widely regarded as one of the most important stand-up comedians of all time: Jerry Seinfeld called Pryor "The Picasso of our profession";[14] Bob Newhart has called Pryor "the seminal comedian of the last 50 years."[15]
[/youtube]

George Carlin - Freed Roger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Carlin
George Denis Patrick Carlin (May 12, 1937 – June 22, 2008) was an American stand-up comedian. He was also an actor and author, and he won five Grammy Awards for his comedy albums.[22]

Carlin was noted for his black humor as well as his thoughts on politics, the English language, psychology, religion, and various taboo subjects. Carlin and his "Seven Dirty Words" comedy routine were central to the 1978 U.S. Supreme Court case F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation, in which a narrow 5–4 decision by the justices affirmed the government's power to regulate indecent material on the public airwaves.

The first of his 14 stand-up comedy specials for HBO was filmed in 1977. In the 1990s and 2000s, Carlin's routines focused on the flaws in modern-day America. He often took on contemporary political issues in the United States and satirized the excesses of American culture. His final HBO special, It's Bad for Ya, was filmed less than four months before his death.

[/youtube]
[/youtube]
[/youtube]

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Comedian Thunderdome: Murray v. Pryor v. Carlin

Post by Jocephus »

you should add jim gaffigan

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Jocephus wrote:you should add jim gaffigan
Actually the winner of this goes up against Louis CK. :)

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

I think the most difficult part of this whole tourney has been a lack of clarification of voting. Should I be voting for body of work? Influence? Who I'd like to see in a stand-up setting at his or her peak? Do stand-up comedians trump actors?

I have had a terrific time watching the youtubes and remembering some bits that I'd forgotten, so I consider this tourney a great success no matter what.

And I'm still voting for my man Bill.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Maclowery wrote:I think the most difficult part of this whole tourney has been a lack of clarification of voting. Should I be voting for body of work? Influence? Who I'd like to see in a stand-up setting at his or her peak? Do stand-up comedians trump actors?

I have had a terrific time watching the youtubes and remembering some bits that I'd forgotten, so I consider this tourney a great success no matter what.

Mac's right- start the whole tourney over.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Maclowery wrote:I think the most difficult part of this whole tourney has been a lack of clarification of voting. Should I be voting for body of work? Influence? Who I'd like to see in a stand-up setting at his or her peak? Do stand-up comedians trump actors?

You're overthinking it. It's just like the music or food tourney. Vote based on whatever you want.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Where the [expletive] is Chris Rock?

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

pop_haines wrote:Carlin and Pryor seem to be taking votes from each other
while Murray's base remains rock solid.
Bingo.

Murray's going to win it but I think there should be an asterisk on that trophy.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Highest bidder. You know how to reach me.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Where the [expletive] is Chris Rock?
One day, [expletive] of the walk. Next, a feather duster.

Three men enter, one man leaves!