GDT 10/28/11-Rangers (Harrison) @ Cards (Carpenter) 7:05 CDT

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: GDT 10/28/11-Rangers (Harrison) @ Cards (Carpenter) 7:05

Post by Leroy »

I don't remember everything, but there is only one series had such a huge home advantage. Well, 2. The Twins in the dome. And it isn't just hard feelings, they were awesome in the dome, but not so good away from it. I find it hard to believe that our crowd this year was anywhere close to what the Twins fans mustered up.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

This seemed as good of a place as any:
Cardinals have 34 playoff wins and 2 World Series Titles since the Cubs last won a playoff game.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

cards2468 wrote:Here's another thing, late in the game in game 6, why was is inconceivable that the Cardinals could score 2 runs in an innings when Texas had already done it? It was amazing, but it's not like we did something Texas didn't do. The difference was we managed to throw a scoreless inning in time to score 1 run in the same inning.
Because we had a light hitting defensive replacement who sucks against LHP, a left handed batter who hadn't gotten a hit yet in the WS, and the pitcher's spot coming up with an empty bench? I know it's Darren Oliver on the mound but I wouldn't bet on the Cards to tie it up in that situation if we had to replay that again.

I definitely agree with the notion that 2 of the 3 losses could've easily gone the other way but the wins in Game 1 and 6 could've easily been losses. It was a great series because there was only one blowout and that game had historical value because of Albert.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

go birds wrote:Another talking point is that the only reason the cards won was because of homefield advantage and that Texas was screwed because of that.

2 things:

- cj wilson served up a game losing homerun in the allstar game
- wouldn't the cards have had homefield anyway according to the old method?
It was even numbered years for the NL, odd for the AL. We had HFA in '64, '68 and '82 and didn't in '67, '85 and '87. I guess '94 messed that up, and can't remember when the ASG started determining things. But by the old pre-'94 rules, it would've been the AL teams year for HFA.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

cards2468 wrote:We may not have won 100 games, but we won enough games, and that's all that matters.
101 actually!

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Richie Allen wrote:
cards2468 wrote:We may not have won 100 games, but we won enough games, and that's all that matters.
101 actually!
hahaha, touche