GDT 10/28/11-Rangers (Harrison) @ Cards (Carpenter) 7:05 CDT

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Re: GDT 10/28/11-Rangers (Harrison) @ Cards (Carpenter) 7:05

Post by Numbers »

I want in on page 1 of this bad boy, it's going to be epic

page 2 will do :)

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

07come11 wrote:I want in on page 1 of this bad boy, it's going to be epic

Sorry, try to get in on each of the next 300 pages of this thread.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Huh? This isn't my car.
/in the thread

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

My dad and I will be heading down from Quad Cities shortly for game 7. He put in for the ticket lottery back when they went on sale, and game 7 was all he could get. I initially wasn't going to be able to go and he was going to take someone else, but the rainout screwed up the plans, so now I can make it. This will be my first MLB playoff game of any kind, although I have been to some extremely intense regular season games. I was at a game vs the Expos very late in the season in 1987 that the Cards won (when I was 12 years old - barely remember, but they won in the bottom of the 9th). I was also at that game very late in 2006 vs the Brewers where Spiezio saved the season with a bases loaded triple in the bottom of the 8th inning.

Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Post by Numbers »

cards2468 wrote:
07come11 wrote:I want in on page 1 of this bad boy, it's going to be epic

Sorry, try to get in on each of the next 300 pages of this thread.
I might as well, The good Lord knows I'm going to be worthless the rest of this day. :)

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:What a season for MLB.

You could write - and I hope someone does write - a book about the last day of the 2011 regular season all by itself.

What a season for the St. Louis Cardinals. From the depths of an under-achieving, frustrating, embarrassing 5 months comes 2 months that, for me, rival the stunning run of exceptional, almost flawless play of the 2004 regular season from May to September.

And then this post season. The Cardinals take 3 of 5 from the best team in the National League and the best 3 man pitching rotation since the 1990's Braves. Carpenter / Halladay in game 5 was a text book pitching duel that should be long remembered. Then they beat the team with far and away the best home record in the game. In their house.

And then this series. A microcosm of the Cardinal's season in 6 games. Looking foolish and giving away ball games in the last at bat. An overpowering offense that hides a suspect pitching performance. And then getting beat down again and again and on the brink of elimination multiple times only to come back and win in an historic fashion.

What a game. What a team. Someone WILL write a book about this team.

Let's see how the story ends.

Go Cardinals!
The book about this season could have focused on the Greatest Organization in Professional Sports History overcoming fried chicken and a September swoon to win a 3rd championship in 8 years. It won't be.

The book could have been about a 102 win beast with possibly the greatest postseason rotation ever cruising to a championship. It won't be.

The book could have been about how a fat guy, a douchebag, and a crazy CF beast moded their way to their first title. Who am I trying to kid? They had a guy in a monster suit throw out a first pitch--they weren't serious about winning this thing.

It could have been about the Yankees winning #27. Yawn.

It could be about overcoming hookers and blow to overcome 50 years of frustration. Let's hope not.

Or it could be about the Cardinals. The team that was ran over and left for dead more times than Michael Myers.

ilstu24
All-Star

Post by ilstu24 »

I absolutely hate that I am so negative. I convinced myself last night about 4 separate times that they were going to lose, and I almost turned it off after the second of the back to back jacks by Cruz. I need to be more positive, sorry for all the negativity.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

I'm about ready to leave work, pick up a 12 pack of bud, grab a lawn chair and start getting trashed outside of CF. Would I get arrested for that?

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

Cruz and Napoli are going to be interesting decisions for tonight. If they play (and I can't imagine them at least not giving it a go), we'll see how effective they'll be. Napoli, in particular, is going to be hella sore this morning.

Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Post by Numbers »

Strauss says it's set, Carp gets the start, Fire up the cigs now. Who has that photoshop pic?