GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 18 19, 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: December 16 11, 12:33 pm 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: July 23 08, 2:36 pm
Posts: 1466
Michael wrote:
12veinte12 wrote:



Retired TLR is awesome. I agree with everything he said.


Is it me or has TLR figured out a way to talk sensible and with complete sentences? He seems to be a lot more "loose" in interviews now and his intelligience is beginning to shine in a different light.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 16 11, 12:36 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm
Posts: 13026
vinsanity wrote:
On these scales, relative to national big league players he was offered substantially more money and moving him up the list of highest paid players in history.


If only he'd admit that's what he was aiming for...either 2 years ago, last offseason, this offseason before signing or now. He wanted everyone to believe one thing.

As for changing jobs thing, I could weigh in, but it doesn't fit your tight parameters. But yeah, I've taken much less before...very recently, in a bad economy, where it's harder for my household to make ends meet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 16 11, 12:37 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Posts: 14761
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
Slider wrote:
Michael wrote:
12veinte12 wrote:



Retired TLR is awesome. I agree with everything he said.


Is it me or has TLR figured out a way to talk sensible and with complete sentences? He seems to be a lot more "loose" in interviews now and his intelligience is beginning to shine in a different light.

Part of it I think is how mentally exhausted he seems to be when he's focused on baseball. After a game he acts like a zombie. Now he shuvles elephant poop or something like that and is able to keep his brain turned off except for interviews.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 16 11, 12:51 pm 
Offline
MLB.TV Customer Support
User avatar

Joined: July 3 06, 2:19 pm
Posts: 8224
Location: Indianapolis
BW23 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
On these scales, relative to national big league players he was offered substantially more money and moving him up the list of highest paid players in history.

If only he'd admit that's what he was aiming for...either 2 years ago, last offseason, this offseason before signing or now. He wanted everyone to believe one thing.

As for changing jobs thing, I could weigh in, but it doesn't fit your tight parameters. But yeah, I've taken much less before...very recently, in a bad economy, where it's harder for my household to make ends meet.

Ya don't get me wrong, I was just defending AW's comparison with an average person feeling conflicted about taking more money because they felt underpaid. I wish he'd been honest about it from the go, and I think LA's huge numbers and short deadline led to a bit of a knee jerk agreement that he didn't fully weigh out.

So it goes.

As for the jobs changing - I know that's not a realistic scenario. But those other things besides money that have value, but the question was strictly about pay. There are opportunities I'd take less money for, there are things like health care and retirement packages and even just enjoying the people you work with that have value that doesn't make 1 $50k offer necessarily more 'valuable' than a $45k package. The fringe benefits might push the 'value' of that lesser offer to $52k and you wouldn't feel underpaid because of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 16 11, 12:52 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19529
vinsanity wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
I would assume that the other company is pretty desperate for help, probably.

So even if Google or Microsoft or State Farm or <insert relevant industry leader for your job> was the person offering the job and saying they thought you're work was worth 20% more for them than where you currently are and nothing had to change, you'd decline because you'd assume they were just desperate and now adequately valuing your contributions? If another stable employer offered you 20% more, your first thought isn't "Hey, maybe that's how much I'm worth?"

Quote:
Why are you excluding the part about going west? Albert may still have a home in St. Louis, but he'll be spending the majority of his time in Anaheim.
Two reasons.

The question was about feeling underpaid. You can feel underpaid without needing to move cities for a new job. On these scales, relative to national big league players he was offered substantially more money and moving him up the list of highest paid players in history.

And I guess I assumed part of the reason you brought it up was Cost of Living or location desire. Not everyone likes California and not everyone likes St. Louis. So I was trying to take that subjectivity out of it. Also, as has been noted, Cost of Living adjustments are regressive. While the same house in LA will be substantially more expensive, the slight increase in other living costs likely won't dent his yearly salary like it would for you or I.

But if you can honestly tell me you wouldn't move to a different company next door or different department within your current company or that if someone was offering you 20% more than your current salary you wouldn't feel slightly underpaid then that answers my question. I'm isolating one thing; pay. Not morality, not ethics, location, commute, hours, responsibility, title, benefits, desirability.



My company has been really good to me for several years. I like my work, really enjoy the people I work with, and fully believe in the future of the company that I work for. All of those things are important to me.

Cost of living aside, I don't want to move. I like where I am at. An 18% pay increase would not be enough to make me start over with another company, in another part of the country.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 16 11, 12:56 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm
Posts: 13026
vinsanity wrote:
BW23 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
On these scales, relative to national big league players he was offered substantially more money and moving him up the list of highest paid players in history.

If only he'd admit that's what he was aiming for...either 2 years ago, last offseason, this offseason before signing or now. He wanted everyone to believe one thing.

As for changing jobs thing, I could weigh in, but it doesn't fit your tight parameters. But yeah, I've taken much less before...very recently, in a bad economy, where it's harder for my household to make ends meet.

Ya don't get me wrong, I was just defending AW's comparison with an average person feeling conflicted about taking more money because they felt underpaid. I wish he'd been honest about it from the go, and I think LA's huge numbers and short deadline led to a bit of a knee jerk agreement that he didn't fully weigh out.

So it goes.

As for the jobs changing - I know that's not a realistic scenario. But those other things besides money that have value, but the question was strictly about pay. There are opportunities I'd take less money for, there are things like health care and retirement packages and even just enjoying the people you work with that have value that doesn't make 1 $50k offer necessarily more 'valuable' than a $45k package. The fringe benefits might push the 'value' of that lesser offer to $52k and you wouldn't feel underpaid because of it.


I completely agree about the knee jerk reaction to the Angels' courtship. And when you've known for 2 years that this day was coming, you think you'd be a little more prepared than to jump ship so abruptly if you claim you never wanted to leave where you were.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 16 11, 12:58 pm 
Offline
a bad penny always turns up
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Posts: 23436
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
I had the same experience. Loved my job, the people, what I did and everything about it. Then got called in on a Thursday and was told to pack up my stuff. No warning, nothing.

There's two sides to the coin. The employer side and the employee side. I used to lean heavily on the employer side of the coin, but now not so much. I can totally see why someone would go and get what he/she has earned. That is basically what Albert did. And as I said before, it gives us a nice feeling inside, but sports players don't have the same attachment to a team that fans do. The sooner we understand that, the easier it will be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 16 11, 12:59 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19529
Also, if my company had just won the most prestigious award in the world that is available in my line of business, deeming us the most successful company in the world, that would influence my decision to stay, even for slightly less money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 16 11, 12:59 pm 
Offline
Next Gen Wart
User avatar

Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
Posts: 8341
Location: St. Louis
Socnorb11 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
I would assume that the other company is pretty desperate for help, probably.

So even if Google or Microsoft or State Farm or <insert relevant industry leader for your job> was the person offering the job and saying they thought you're work was worth 20% more for them than where you currently are and nothing had to change, you'd decline because you'd assume they were just desperate and now adequately valuing your contributions? If another stable employer offered you 20% more, your first thought isn't "Hey, maybe that's how much I'm worth?"

Quote:
Why are you excluding the part about going west? Albert may still have a home in St. Louis, but he'll be spending the majority of his time in Anaheim.
Two reasons.

The question was about feeling underpaid. You can feel underpaid without needing to move cities for a new job. On these scales, relative to national big league players he was offered substantially more money and moving him up the list of highest paid players in history.

And I guess I assumed part of the reason you brought it up was Cost of Living or location desire. Not everyone likes California and not everyone likes St. Louis. So I was trying to take that subjectivity out of it. Also, as has been noted, Cost of Living adjustments are regressive. While the same house in LA will be substantially more expensive, the slight increase in other living costs likely won't dent his yearly salary like it would for you or I.

But if you can honestly tell me you wouldn't move to a different company next door or different department within your current company or that if someone was offering you 20% more than your current salary you wouldn't feel slightly underpaid then that answers my question. I'm isolating one thing; pay. Not morality, not ethics, location, commute, hours, responsibility, title, benefits, desirability.



My company has been really good to me for several years. I like my work, really enjoy the people I work with, and fully believe in the future of the company that I work for. All of those things are important to me.

Cost of living aside, I don't want to move. I like where I am at. An 18% pay increase would not be enough to make me start over with another company, in another part of the country.


I liked my job a lot. I was offered another job 3 blocks away with better parking, better future potential, and a better environment, and an 18% raise. Even though all of the things you just said about where you work applied to my job, the second I saw a better opportunity I jumped at it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 16 11, 1:03 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19529
TheoSqua wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
I would assume that the other company is pretty desperate for help, probably.

So even if Google or Microsoft or State Farm or <insert relevant industry leader for your job> was the person offering the job and saying they thought you're work was worth 20% more for them than where you currently are and nothing had to change, you'd decline because you'd assume they were just desperate and now adequately valuing your contributions? If another stable employer offered you 20% more, your first thought isn't "Hey, maybe that's how much I'm worth?"

Quote:
Why are you excluding the part about going west? Albert may still have a home in St. Louis, but he'll be spending the majority of his time in Anaheim.
Two reasons.

The question was about feeling underpaid. You can feel underpaid without needing to move cities for a new job. On these scales, relative to national big league players he was offered substantially more money and moving him up the list of highest paid players in history.

And I guess I assumed part of the reason you brought it up was Cost of Living or location desire. Not everyone likes California and not everyone likes St. Louis. So I was trying to take that subjectivity out of it. Also, as has been noted, Cost of Living adjustments are regressive. While the same house in LA will be substantially more expensive, the slight increase in other living costs likely won't dent his yearly salary like it would for you or I.

But if you can honestly tell me you wouldn't move to a different company next door or different department within your current company or that if someone was offering you 20% more than your current salary you wouldn't feel slightly underpaid then that answers my question. I'm isolating one thing; pay. Not morality, not ethics, location, commute, hours, responsibility, title, benefits, desirability.



My company has been really good to me for several years. I like my work, really enjoy the people I work with, and fully believe in the future of the company that I work for. All of those things are important to me.

Cost of living aside, I don't want to move. I like where I am at. An 18% pay increase would not be enough to make me start over with another company, in another part of the country.


I liked my job a lot. I was offered another job 3 blocks away with better parking, better future potential, and a better environment, and an 18% raise. Even though all of the things you just said about where you work applied to my job, the second I saw a better opportunity I jumped at it.



Fair enough.

Part of it probably depends on how old you are, and how long you've been with the company, also.

Would you have done it JUST for money? Because I doubt if Albert is getting better parking or a better environment. At least he or Deidre haven't said as much.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group