Changes to "Social" (Political threads, etc)

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Re: Changes to "Social" (Political threads, etc)

Post by docellis »

I bet this works in real life, too. All my neighbors are poor as [expletive] and don't want to talk about politics either. If any of them decided they cared, maybe they could change a policy that keeps them poor.

Who gives a [expletive]! Right! Lets keep politics away from our [expletive] fun!

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

docellis wrote:I bet this works in real life, too. All my neighbors are poor as [expletive] and don't want to talk about politics either. If any of them decided they cared, maybe they could change a policy that keeps them poor.

Who gives a [expletive]! Right! Lets keep politics away from our [expletive] fun!
Huh? I'm not sure moving political discussion to another part of the same forum is really the same thing.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
docellis wrote:I bet this works in real life, too. All my neighbors are poor as [expletive] and don't want to talk about politics either. If any of them decided they cared, maybe they could change a policy that keeps them poor.

Huh? I'm not sure moving political discussion to another part of the same forum is really the same thing.
I bet you're a gas at parties.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I think there's a difference between knowing with almost absolute certainty what someone is going to say, knowing what someone else is going to say, and then knowing how each and every argument is going to unfold before it happens and not knowing what the issues/what the arguments are for either side.

At this point, I don't think any of us can be accused of not understanding both sides and/or not caring.

It's a cardinals board and it was becoming so toxic because opposing sides couldn't just agree to disagree or understand where others were coming from and respect that, that the damn thing almost shut down. Over the years, we've lost a lot of good (and some not so good) posters becasue of the impasse that at some point people have to decide....is this a cardinals board meant for the enjoyment of cardinals fans to talk cardinals baseball, or is this a board meant to bicker and kvetch about politics. If its the later, then by all means keep the two together. If it's the former, then this is probably a good move, imo.

Again, it's not that people don't care or don't understand. It's just politics and it's America and there's always going to be differing views.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

well said, AW.

when people have an actual local or personalized insight/experience that relates to the topic, it quickly gets washed away by what someone read on national newsite or facebook.
I don't think you could ever get a conversation on political topics where we would get, say a Pop Haines and a FatStrat to commit time to express their views regularly. Though i'd like to read them, I don't blame people for not seeing GRB political forums as a good medium to lay it out there, because it is often quickly lost, parsed, trolled away etc.

people have different amounts of time for it.
Still, I can sort of use it as a news browser for those topics -i.e. when Pioneer finds some good stuff. the humorous stuff. occasional soap box.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

lukethedrifter wrote:I bet you're a gas at parties.
Not as much fun as a guy like you, who just makes bizarre non sequiturs in conversations you're not part of, but I try and hold my own.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I think this was a great change.

To me, this is a Cardinals baseball forum for fun and entertainment (and can be informative at times too).

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I want my own forum. We could chat about life, love and other topics like how to get rid of STD's without having to see a medical professional.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Leroy wrote:I want my own forum. We could chat about life, love and other topics like how to get rid of STD's without having to see a medical professional.
I can't promise a forum, but if we had "Ask Fat Bulldog," I see no reason why "Ask Leroy" isn't a thing.