ROUND ONE: (4) The Clash vs (13) ZZ Top

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.

Who do you like more?

The Clash
50%
ZZ Top
50%

Total votes: 54

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

ROUND ONE: (4) The Clash vs (13) ZZ Top

Post by thrill »

The Clash
wikipedia wrote:The Clash were an English rock group active from 1976 to 1986. One of the most successful and iconic bands from the original wave of punk rock in the late 1970s, they went on to incorporate punk with reggae, rockabilly, dance, jazz, ska, and eventually many other music styles into their repertoire. They were legendary for their intense stage performances.

From their earliest days as a band, the Clash stood apart from their punk peers with their musicianship, as well as their lyrics; the passionate, left wing political idealism in the lyrics of frontmen Joe Strummer and Mick Jones contrasted with the anarchic nihilism of the Sex Pistols and the basic simplicity of The Ramones. Although they were a major success in the UK from the release of their first album in 1977, they did not become popular in the U.S. until 1980.

Their third album, the late 1979 release London Calling is considered by many critics to be one of the greatest albums in the history of rock music; it was released in the U.S. in January 1980, and a decade later Rolling Stone magazine declared it the best album of the 1980s. Rolling Stone also placed it at #8 on their list in 2003 of the 500 Greatest Rock Albums.

The Clash's attitude and style, as much as their music, strongly influenced countless other bands. In 2003 they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
BIO
Train In Vain performance
Jimmy Jazz performance
London Calling performance
Should I Stay Or Should I Go performance

ZZ Top
wikipedia wrote:ZZ Top, affectionately known by their American fans as "That little ol' band from Texas"[1], is an American blues rock band formed in 1969 in Houston, Texas. The group members are Billy Gibbons (guitar and vocals), Dusty Hill (bass guitar and vocals), and Frank Beard (drums). They hold the distinction of being one of the few rock groups still composed of its original members after more than 35 years, and until September 2006 the same manager/producer, Bill Ham.

They reached the peak of their commercial success in the 1970s and 1980s, scoring many hit songs during that era; but they remain together today and are still touring and releasing albums. ZZ Top was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 15, 2004. Summarizing their music, Cub Koda wrote, "As genuine roots musicians, they have few peers; Gibbons is one of America's finest blues guitarists working in the arena rock idiom ... while Hill and Beard provide the ultimate rhythm section support."[1] Their song lyrics often feature sexual innuendo and humor.

Gibbons and Hill are also famous for their nostalgic guitars, many of which were co-designed with master luthier John Bolin of Bolin Guitars.

Nearly as well-known as their music is the group's appearance: Gibbons and Hill are always pictured wearing sunglasses (a nod to their 1979 song "Cheap Sunglasses"), similar (if not matching) clothing, and their trademark chest-length beards, while Beard sports a mustache but not a beard. In 1984, the Gillette Company reportedly offered Gibbons and Hill US$1 million apiece to shave their beards for a television commercial, but they declined. [2]

The origin of the band's name was not officially known for many years. Some theories included: the two brands of rolling paper, Zig-Zag and Top; a tribute to blues legend Z. Z. Hill; Z-shaped barn-door braces Gibbons once saw at a farm; and/or Billy Gibbons seeing the two words running together on a dilapidated bill board. The real origin, as told by Billy Gibbons and also recorded in his new book (Rock + Roll Gearhead), is derived from the name of blues master B.B. King. They wanted to call themselves Z.Z. King but sounded too similar to their blues legend hero. They figured that "King" was at the "top" so thus settled on ZZ Top.
BIO
La Grange performance
Tush performance[/url
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrnXRpMIEM]Cheap Sunglasses performance

I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide performance

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Sharp Dressed Man video.

I expect ZZ Top to get pummelled here. A shame really.

--P--

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

thrill wrote:Image
IMO, one of the most overrated bands ever.

--P--

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

The Clash for shizzle.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Popeye_Card wrote:
thrill wrote:Image

--P--
BLASPHEMER!!!

stretch
Perennial All-Star

Post by stretch »

ZZ Top

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I never got into the Clash. For that matter, I never really got into ZZ Top, but at least I don't mind if ZZ Top comes on the radio. If it's The Clash, I'm inclined to change the station rather than wait 3 minutes for the song to be over.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

--P--
BLASPHEMER!!!
I like my rock infused with blues. (ZZ Top)

I don't really like my punk infused with rockabilly. (The Clash)

I know the Clash's importance (even though I think it's overstated), but I never get the urge to listen to a Clash song. I get the urge to listen to ZZ Top from time to time.

Plus Got Me Under Pressure is the best song they play over the loudspeakers at Busch III.

--P--

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

Clash