GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 23 17, 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Porcello & Samardzija
PostPosted: April 19 17, 1:36 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Both Porcello and Samardzija have absolutely sucked through 3 starts (era's are 7.56 and 6.16 respectively). Which one is more likely to get their crap together and come back from this awful start? Or will they just suck this year? I looked, and they both had ERA's over 6 in spring training this year, too. So that is concerning.

I'm debating whether I should cut one, cut both, or keep both. Mike Leake and Ian Kennedy are the free agents I may be able to replace one or both of them with. Both are off to good starts. Yes, I am entertaining the idea of cutting the reigning AL Cy Young award winning and replacing him with Mike Leake. Thoughts?

PostPosted: April 20 17, 3:53 am 
Hall Of Famer

Leake and Porcello are fairly similar pitchers, minus Porcello's great year last year. The only reason I would keep Porcello over the hot hand here is that Boston should score more runs than the Cardinals.

Unless you feel Porcello legitimately turned a corner last year.

PostPosted: April 20 17, 6:20 am 
Hall Of Famer

Popeye_Card wrote:
Leake and Porcello are fairly similar pitchers, minus Porcello's great year last year. The only reason I would keep Porcello over the hot hand here is that Boston should score more runs than the Cardinals.

Unless you feel Porcello legitimately turned a corner last year.

Thanks. And wins don't matter in this league so I will probably do this. I only got Porcello because I knew he would throw a lot of innings, and even if he took a bit of a step back, might be quite good. But Leake is an innings eater too

PostPosted: April 24 17, 8:58 am 
Hall Of Famer

I just dropped Samardzija...f him

PostPosted: April 25 17, 11:55 am 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:
Both Porcello and Samardzija have absolutely sucked through 3 starts (era's are 7.56 and 6.16 respectively). Which one is more likely to get their crap together and come back from this awful start? Or will they just suck this year? I looked, and they both had ERA's over 6 in spring training this year, too. So that is concerning.

I'm debating whether I should cut one, cut both, or keep both. Mike Leake and Ian Kennedy are the free agents I may be able to replace one or both of them with. Both are off to good starts. Yes, I am entertaining the idea of cutting the reigning AL Cy Young award winning and replacing him with Mike Leake. Thoughts?

I think Porcello has had Tommy John...but Samardzija hasn't. Drop Samardzija.