Sweet revenge

Talk about fantasy sports here
StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Sweet revenge

Post by StatmanCrothers »

Since losing the first week in my head-to-head league, I've won 6 weeks in a row and am now alone in first place at 6-1.

After the first couple of days of the season, I had several pitchers who got rocked and I had negative points overall.

The league founder, one of my nephews, sent me a "Smack" card that said something like

"Uncle Mark, Sorry you misunderstood the point system-- the goal is to get POSITIVE points. "

I sent a return smack, saying "Don't worry, I'm saving up my points for the week I play YOU ..."

well I studied the league system a bit and figured out that there was a loop hole. The way the points were set up, an average starting pitcher would average 5 pts per start. An average batter would average 1.7 pts per start.

The league allowed you to set a new lineup every day, you were allowed one batter at each position plus a UTIL (DH) which could be any position. You were allowed 6 pitchers total each day, 2 starters, 2 relievers and 2 of any type.

The bench could be filled as you liked, with a total of 24 players in all.

After figuring this out during the first week, I got thinking. A position player on your bench would play at most 1 or 2 days, filling in, for a total of 2 or 3 pts on average. With lineups set every day, putting starting pitchers on your bench, if too many didn't all start on the same day, you'd get every point from every pitcher.

Additionally, there were quite a few pitchers classified as RP (relief) as far as the roster was concerned, that were actually starters this season. Wainwright, Looper, Micah Owings, Bergmann, De La Rosa, Carmosa, etc.

I had already failed to pick up a good closer, and the pt system didn't favor closers unless they were top top top of the line. Last week I picked up Accardo for Toronto, he hasn't allowed a run all season, they finally handed him the closer job, I picked him up the next day and he earned 2 saves and a no-decision for me.

So I loaded up with starters and relievers who were actually starters, so some days I have 5 or 6 starters going at once. Only one time did the stars all align so I had to bench one of my starters because I had 7 going the same day -- I chose well.

So my roster now is 9 position players, who play every day, 14 starters, who effectively never get benched, and one closer.

So I noticed a week ago that things were lining up for 7 or 8 of my starters to get double starts in the same week. I comment to my wife, wow, I hope I play J----, my nephew. The one who sent the smack card.

Heh heh. We were part of a 3-way tie for first at 5-1 so one of us was going down. I threw 21 starters at him, some of whom got rocked but overall they did quite well, I set a new league-wide season high with 351 pts and crushed him 351-187.

The other nephew tied for 1st also got beat so here i sit, at least for a week, in first place at 6-1.

Bragging rights at Thanksgiving if I hang in there.

Here is my team as of now. I've used up 29 of 50 total moves so I need to slow down with the roster adjusting, but I figure use the moves early is best to get the benefit of them. I'm fast on the trigger when a pitcher starts getting rocked, this week I dropped Moyer & Wainwright.

I had first overall pick in the draft, so after that I had two picks in a row at the end/beginning of each round, hence the 2/3, 4/5 etc.

So Santana was first pick overall, Konerko and Jeter were my picks at the end of the 2nd and start of the 3rd round, etc.

C Jorge Posada NYY 4/5
1B Dan Johnson OAK (free agent, replaced Konerko 2/3)
1B Kevin Youkilis BOS (free agent, replace Glaus 6/7)
2B Dan Uggla FLA (waivers, replaced Cano 4/5)
SS Derek Jeter NYY 2/3
3B Adrian Beltre SEA 12/13
OF Magglio Ordonez DET 8/9
OF Jack Cust OAK (free agent, replaced Duncan 14/15 )
OF Hunter Spence HOU (free agent, replaced JD Drew 10/11 )

SP Johan Santana 1
SP Dan Haren 8/9
SP Curt Schilling 10/11
SP Jared Weaver 12/13
SP James Shields (free agent)
SP Tim Wakefield (free agent)
SP John Maine (free agent)
SP Sergio Mitre (free agent)
SP John Danks (free agent)
RP Braden Looper (free agent)
RP Fausto Carmona (free agent)
RP Jorge Sosa (free agent)
RP Jorge de la Rosa (free agent)

RP Jeremy Accardo (free agent)

RP Jason Bergmann (DL, free agent)

I drafted Sheffield, traded him for Wainwright ... all the elbow talk and the 7 ER scared me enough to drop Wainwright this week. Hope I don't regret it. If I see two good starts in a row and no elbow talk I'll pick him back up if available.