Pujols and the second pick

Talk about fantasy sports here
clake
All-Star

Pujols and the second pick

Post by clake »

Usually this is a no-brainer but the elbow stuff with Albert has me questioning the decision I have to make in my draft.

H2H 10 team league scoring:
Hitting
Single: 1 point
BB: 1 point
Runs: 1 point
RBI: 1 point
Double: 2 points
SB: 2 points
Triple: 3 points
Home Run: 4 points
Hitting for the cycle: 10 points
Strike out: -1 point
Caught Stealing: -1 point

Pitching
K: 1 point
IP: 2 points
CG: 5 points
Shut out: 5 points
Saves: 10
Win: 15 points
No Hitter: 15 points
Perfect Game: 20 points (I believe)
BBI: -0.5 points
Earned Run: -1 point
Blown Save: -2 points
L: -5 points

Assuming Alex Rodriguez is the first pick, do I roll the dice w/ Albert and hope the elbow stays the same and he plays a complete season or go with Santana? It seems like with this league's scoring that pitching is always key to having a successful season in the end. There are no restrictions placed on our weekly pitching rosters when it comes to starters or relievers so 2 start pitchers tend to be a hot commodity.

I usually don't bother going after the top-tier starters early in drafts and stock up on hitters for the first few rounds. In a normal year I'd continue drafting with that strategy and not think twice about Albert but the way this team is shaping up and the elbow concerns has me questioning myself. Is it dumb to go after Santana with the second pick?

To me, the worst thing that happens is I pass on Albert and he has another typical Pujols season, which I'll be more than excited about in "reality baseball".

BenNX74205
All-Star

Re: Pujols and the second pick

Post by BenNX74205 »

I would pass on Pujols with the second pick. You cannot win the championship with your first round pick, but you can lose with it. Pujols has a lot of concerns right now, which we all know about, so I would look elsewhere for one of your cornerstone players. Pujols this season is like Larry Johnson going into the start of the 2007 season for fantasy football--too risky to take at number 2, but later in the first round the reward outweighs the risk.

I'd also pass on Santana, and continue with your strategy of going after offense.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

I have a friend who swears he won't take anyone above Chase Utley because 2nd base is so weak. I think there's some truth to that.

Pujols is still a high pick, but I don't know that he's definitely the 2nd pick because of his injuries and because of how good guys like Hanley Ramirez have become. It would be a tough decision.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

I'd agree with passing on Pujols and Santana.

At the same time, I haven't bought completely into the SS hype-mania that's going on this year with Reyes, Rarmirez, and Rollins.

I'd look at Wright, Miguel Cabrera and Matt Holliday hard. Probably go with Miggy. I think he's going to have a HUGE Pujols like year.