Baseball Mogul 09

Talk about fantasy sports here
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Re: Baseball Mogul 09

Post by TheoSqua »

PujolJunkie wrote:
jeffbgoofy wrote:I was this close to getting this game and when they kept delaying the release I saw more bad reviews of it and cancelled my pre order. I don't seem ubernerd enough to enjoy this game...
It's pretty flexible as to what you can do in the game. As I said, there are some balance issues, but they can all be easily solved by tweaking some settings and such. It's really fun after you get the ball rolling. It takes some skill to manage your minors and know when to call guys up and send them down and so on. I personally love it.

They offered Mogul 07 for free for a bit (you can still find it if you google enough) and I downloaded it. It's a fun game to play, but it's definitely a bit broken. Like you can go top 5 in scouting and farm, have a really small budget, trade your players hitting free agency (really 4th year of arbitration) for tons of money and 3 good prospects, then repeat the cycle when the prospects develop. I'm on medium difficulty and i've won over 100 games 20 years in a row doing this. The downside is you don't really keep many players for long and you keep HOF potential players in the minors till they're 26-27, plus for some reason fans just stop showing up, so you have to make all your money off selling prospects.

dohogne
Single A Minor League Player

Post by dohogne »

I've played full centuries many times with BM08/09, and Bench seems to be the best all-round player. He always has a long career with a ton of homers and gold gloves. Lou Gehrig and Mel Ott usually compete for the all-time HR crown, along with Dante Bichette (!) a couple times. The ballpark effect at Colorado really puts up some (absurdly) big numbers.

Players who never seem to make it as far as you would think: Mantle, Mays, Ruth (even if I prevent him from pitching, his career always falls off a cliff at age 30 or so), Johan Santana (though Liriano is a stud), Josh Beckett, Jake Peavy, Sandy Koufax (lot of strikeouts but a lot of homers too). Johnson and Gibson are always great pitchers, but Marichal and Roberts are usually right with them, and Mariano once saved 756 games.

[quote="PujolJunkie"]I just wanted to post this in here, just because I found it kind of fascinating. With BM09, you can simulate multiple seasons at once, going back as far as 1901. So I started in 1901 and simulated 108 years to April 1st, 2009. Everything was randomized. The draft. The players performances. Salary demands. Everything. So here's a little view on how everything went over those fictional 108 years:

All Time HR List:
1. Willie McCovey 702 (MLN/ATL, SDP)
2. Roger Repoz 625 (STL, SEP, MIL)
3. Kelly Gruber 622 (TOR, COL)
4. Darrell Evans 621 (NYY, TOR)
5. Johnny Bench 600 (BAL, TOR)

All Time Wins List:
1. Walter Johnson 482 (CHW)
2. Robin Roberts 470 (CIN)
3. Bob Gibson 426 (DET, HOU, SDP)
4. Kid Nichols 423 (BSN)
5. Cy Young 415 (CLV, STL, BOS)

Rieges
Veteran Player

Post by Rieges »

Does baseball mogul include the amateur draft and allow you to draft real players in a historical league? I'm also curious to know if anyone has played both BM and OOTP and if so, how they compare the two.

dohogne
Single A Minor League Player

Post by dohogne »

Yes, you draft real players in the amateur draft, usually as 18-year-olds. You can either draft only real players or both real and invented. Whether the player develops as expected depends partly on chance and largely on how much money you invest in your minor league system.

Rieges wrote:Does baseball mogul include the amateur draft and allow you to draft real players in a historical league? I'm also curious to know if anyone has played both BM and OOTP and if so, how they compare the two.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

I have OOTP and really enjoy it. Single player is fun, however online leagues are always either fictional leagues, historic leagues, or they sim like a months worth of games in a week. I really just want a league that uses real players and moves at the speed of real time.

PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Post by PujolJunkie »

cards2468 wrote:I have OOTP and really enjoy it. Single player is fun, however online leagues are always either fictional leagues, historic leagues, or they sim like a months worth of games in a week. I really just want a league that uses real players and moves at the speed of real time.
I have OOTP 9. It's magnificent. I have a game going with 10 teams from each continent in 12 divisions. It's insane.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

PujolJunkie wrote:
cards2468 wrote:I have OOTP and really enjoy it. Single player is fun, however online leagues are always either fictional leagues, historic leagues, or they sim like a months worth of games in a week. I really just want a league that uses real players and moves at the speed of real time.
I have OOTP 9. It's magnificent. I have a game going with 10 teams from each continent in 12 divisions. It's insane.
I created a massive baseball world so that I could have the Frontier League in it. Started from 1994 and simmed up to this year. There weren't any job openings for manager on any of the Frontier League teams, so in the mean time I'm managing the Yakult Swallows minor league team in Japan. I haven't had a chance to play many games because of how busy I was at the end of the semester and the 1st half of summer, but I recently joined an online league now that I have more free time. I'm trying to rebuilt the Blue Jays who finished below .500 last year and have an average farm system.