A-Rod?

Talk about fantasy sports here
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: A-Rod?

Post by phins »

clevername wrote:yeah, he's going to help my offense be pretty sick for a while

I got Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, and A Rod in that auction along with Rollins, Pedroia, Soriano, and Vlad.

Of course, the money I saved on A Rod was already used overspending for Albert, but we won't count that against me.
That's disgusting. Do you have any pitching? Ha ha...

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

phinstd wrote:

I got Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, and A Rod in that auction along with Rollins, Pedroia, Soriano, and Vlad.

Of course, the money I saved on A Rod was already used overspending for Albert, but we won't count that against me.
no starters. Using the middle reliever/closer strategy, though holds is a cat so there's some reason to operate that way. I lose wins and K's, but as long as my relievers don't blow up I should win holds, saves, ERA, and Whip while winning most/all offense cats with my sick lineup. Problem so far has been my relievers blowing up, so it ain't working out too hot right now.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I really wish I had noticed holds was a stat before the auction was over.

phins

Post by phins »

clevername wrote:
phinstd wrote:

no starters. Using the middle reliever/closer strategy, though holds is a cat so there's some reason to operate that way. I lose wins and K's, but as long as my relievers don't blow up I should win holds, saves, ERA, and Whip while winning most/all offense cats with my sick lineup. Problem so far has been my relievers blowing up, so it ain't working out too hot right now.
That's the risk...it's a tough strategy to pull off honestly. I wouldn't have advised doing that in a category H2H...points based league would have been good.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

eh, I've done it before successfully. I hate drafting SP's high that end up injured or underperforming or getting screwed out of wins. I hate wins as a category in general.

My teams end up being a mix. Some of them are all/mostly relievers, some are mostly starters with just MR's and no closers. I still do pretty well as I tend to focus on hitters and they seem to be more predictable.

And this strategy can be MONEY in H2H playoffs, especially if you manage to build a strong enough offense.

phins

Post by phins »

clevername wrote:eh, I've done it before successfully. I hate drafting SP's high that end up injured or underperforming or getting screwed out of wins. I hate wins as a category in general.

My teams end up being a mix. Some of them are all/mostly relievers, some are mostly starters with just MR's and no closers. I still do pretty well as I tend to focus on hitters and they seem to be more predictable.

And this strategy can be MONEY in H2H playoffs, especially if you manage to build a strong enough offense.
Yeah, but I hate the random Matt Lindstrom blow up ending my season. You aren't winning K's or W's with that strategy, and even with a great offense, you run the risk of someone having a crazy week in a few categories and stealing it from you.

I always grab an anchor in pitching, and then wait to draft all the undervalued guys later on (Gil Meche is a good example of an undervalued guy each year). Middle relief strategy can be good if you have at least one anchor pitching.