GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 24 19, 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: A-Rod?
PostPosted: April 21 09, 1:25 pm 
Offline
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm
Posts: 8518
clevername wrote:
yeah, he's going to help my offense be pretty sick for a while

I got Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, and A Rod in that auction along with Rollins, Pedroia, Soriano, and Vlad.

Of course, the money I saved on A Rod was already used overspending for Albert, but we won't count that against me.


That's disgusting. Do you have any pitching? Ha ha...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A-Rod?
PostPosted: April 21 09, 2:51 pm 
Offline
Bringer of FRBG
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Posts: 10385
Location: Alabama
phinstd wrote:
clevername wrote:
yeah, he's going to help my offense be pretty sick for a while

I got Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, and A Rod in that auction along with Rollins, Pedroia, Soriano, and Vlad.

Of course, the money I saved on A Rod was already used overspending for Albert, but we won't count that against me.


That's disgusting. Do you have any pitching? Ha ha...


no starters. Using the middle reliever/closer strategy, though holds is a cat so there's some reason to operate that way. I lose wins and K's, but as long as my relievers don't blow up I should win holds, saves, ERA, and Whip while winning most/all offense cats with my sick lineup. Problem so far has been my relievers blowing up, so it ain't working out too hot right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A-Rod?
PostPosted: April 21 09, 2:51 pm 
Offline
Next Gen Wart
User avatar

Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
Posts: 8346
Location: St. Louis
I really wish I had noticed holds was a stat before the auction was over.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A-Rod?
PostPosted: April 22 09, 10:17 am 
Offline
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm
Posts: 8518
clevername wrote:
phinstd wrote:
clevername wrote:
yeah, he's going to help my offense be pretty sick for a while

I got Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, and A Rod in that auction along with Rollins, Pedroia, Soriano, and Vlad.

Of course, the money I saved on A Rod was already used overspending for Albert, but we won't count that against me.


That's disgusting. Do you have any pitching? Ha ha...


no starters. Using the middle reliever/closer strategy, though holds is a cat so there's some reason to operate that way. I lose wins and K's, but as long as my relievers don't blow up I should win holds, saves, ERA, and Whip while winning most/all offense cats with my sick lineup. Problem so far has been my relievers blowing up, so it ain't working out too hot right now.


That's the risk...it's a tough strategy to pull off honestly. I wouldn't have advised doing that in a category H2H...points based league would have been good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A-Rod?
PostPosted: April 22 09, 9:17 pm 
Offline
Bringer of FRBG
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Posts: 10385
Location: Alabama
eh, I've done it before successfully. I hate drafting SP's high that end up injured or underperforming or getting screwed out of wins. I hate wins as a category in general.

My teams end up being a mix. Some of them are all/mostly relievers, some are mostly starters with just MR's and no closers. I still do pretty well as I tend to focus on hitters and they seem to be more predictable.

And this strategy can be MONEY in H2H playoffs, especially if you manage to build a strong enough offense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A-Rod?
PostPosted: April 27 09, 12:23 pm 
Offline
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm
Posts: 8518
clevername wrote:
eh, I've done it before successfully. I hate drafting SP's high that end up injured or underperforming or getting screwed out of wins. I hate wins as a category in general.

My teams end up being a mix. Some of them are all/mostly relievers, some are mostly starters with just MR's and no closers. I still do pretty well as I tend to focus on hitters and they seem to be more predictable.

And this strategy can be MONEY in H2H playoffs, especially if you manage to build a strong enough offense.


Yeah, but I hate the random Matt Lindstrom blow up ending my season. You aren't winning K's or W's with that strategy, and even with a great offense, you run the risk of someone having a crazy week in a few categories and stealing it from you.

I always grab an anchor in pitching, and then wait to draft all the undervalued guys later on (Gil Meche is a good example of an undervalued guy each year). Middle relief strategy can be good if you have at least one anchor pitching.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group