Would you veto Wright for Lackey?

Talk about fantasy sports here
Swingingbunt
All-Star

Would you veto Wright for Lackey?

Post by Swingingbunt »

Scenario:
The guy who has Wright also has Youk, Beckham, and Chris Davis on his roster eligible for 3B time as well as Derrek Lee at 1B. At this time, his best starter is Randy Wells.

The guy who has Lackey has Ian Stewart as his only eligible 3B and has Sabathia and Haren plus 4 other starters aside from Lackey.

To me this seems like a no brainer...works for both sides, fills a need on both sides, seems like an even trade, right??? Or am I weird?

Reasoning:
I ask this because in this league, this trade has been vetoed once already. Here's the reasoning...according to one owner, David Wright is the 3rd or 4th best 3B in the league and should be able to get better than the 14th or 15th best pitcher. According to another owner, Wright went for $29 in our auction (mostly because I ran the price up on him), and Lackey went for $14, so clearly Wright is the better player.

So, GRB fantasy-er-types...am I an idiot for NOT vetoing this trade between two other teams? Or did I get placed in a league with maroons?

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Re: Would you veto Wright for Lackey?

Post by TheoSqua »

If it's a keeper league, it wouldn't be the BEST trade in the world, since Wright has much more long-term value.

If it's a one-year deal, I see the merit. Wrights SLG/OPS dropped 90 points last season and his HR is down considerably. I could easily see someone decide that Wright's value is at a peak right now in a position where he has a ton of depth and that Lackey is a good buy-low candidate moving to the red sox.

I'm not sure if I'd personally do the trade, but that's far from a veto in my opinion.

EDIT: even if it's a keeper league, I could see someone taking Beckham over Wright if they felt Wrights drop in power was going to stay that way due to the new stadium.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

TheoSqua wrote:If it's a keeper league, it wouldn't be the BEST trade in the world, since Wright has much more long-term value.

If it's a one-year deal, I see the merit. Wrights SLG/OPS dropped 90 points last season and his HR is down considerably. I could easily see someone decide that Wright's value is at a peak right now in a position where he has a ton of depth and that Lackey is a good buy-low candidate moving to the red sox.

I'm not sure if I'd personally do the trade, but that's far from a veto in my opinion.

EDIT: even if it's a keeper league, I could see someone taking Beckham over Wright if they felt Wrights drop in power was going to stay that way due to the new stadium.
Fair enough. Personally, I'd have gone after Haren or Sabathia from the other guy, but it's not my team. It's a one-year league.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Mostly depends on what your stat categories are. In my league, Wright projected out to be the best 3B, and 4th best player overall. Those 25 SB's he can get are sneaky valuable. Meanwhile, Lackey grades out really poorly in my league (273rd overall), because of his mediocre K rate and relatively poor WHIP.

I personally would veto.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

Popeye_Card wrote:Mostly depends on what your stat categories are. In my league, Wright projected out to be the best 3B, and 4th best player overall. Those 25 SB's he can get are sneaky valuable. Meanwhile, Lackey grades out really poorly in my league (273rd overall), because of his mediocre K rate and relatively poor WHIP.

I personally would veto.
Interesting...good stuff. It's a standard 5x5 roto scoring, pitching and hitting stats weigh equally. 12 team league.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

The Wright owner is selling pretty low it appears, but i'm not sure if you can veto this trade.

It seems they are both trading for need.

The Wright owner could prolly get a better return, but Wright's stock has fallen dramatically, IMO, although it prolly rose some after yesterday.

My verdict: push the trade thru

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Wright has more value in my league due to 3 more hitting categories (2B, 3B, OBP) which he projects well in, and hitters having 8 categories to pitchers' 6--hitters are naturally more valuable.

That said, Wright is still elite because he's one of maybe 3 3B's who will likely steal 20+ this season. Lackey is ok, but not elite. Maybe not enough to veto, but still very lopsided.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

I have a hard time vetoing any trade where there's no clear collusion or someone being taken advantage of.

in this deal, both teams have their reasons for doing the deal. Let managers manage their teams.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I once was vetoed on this trade: Pujols/Arroyo/ManRam for Braun/Holliday/Wagner as unfair and I have never been so pissed on the internets before. It was in a free league amongst Cards fans at the beginning of 2008.

So, I never veto anything and that one seems like it shouldn't be vetoed either. Lacky will certainly get some wins, Ks and post a decent ERA while Wrights value has dropped b/c of Citi Field.

Either way, it's not nearly lopsided enough to veto, imho.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I have held since my very first year in a fantasy baseball league, that veto is there for one singular purpose: To keep the integrity of the league. The ONLY way a person should ever veto a trade, is if they have evidence of collusion.

Otherwise, it isn't up to the other owners of a league to judge whether a trade is fair or not. That is basically deciding upon a transaction for a certain team, and that just isn't their place. Yes, some trades are silly, and some turn out to help one team much more than another, but that is just the way it is.

Nothing is more frustrating than two owners working out a trade in good faith, and having the rest of the league veto.