This threads for you, lopsided trade proposal guy.

Talk about fantasy sports here
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

This threads for you, lopsided trade proposal guy.

Post by TheoSqua »

There's a guy in one of my fantasy leagues that likes to propose ridiculously lopsided trades. It's a bit humorous, yeah.

So let's post some crazy lopsided trades, that have actually been offered to you, in this thread.

Today I was offered Alex Rios for Ubaldo Jimenez straight up. I countered Adrain Gonzalez for Ubaldo Jimenez. I'm pretty sure he'll tell me that i'm an idiot. :D

A few weeks back he offered me Jose Valverde for Brandon Phillips.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: This threads for you, lopsided trade proposal guy.

Post by Popeye_Card »

I don't think those trades are *that* lopsided. I would think about both of those trades, depending on the rest of my roster.

Now if you want to talk foolish moves, a guy in my league took Freddy Sanchez. No, not because of a need at 2B (he has Phillips *and* Hudson). No, not in the very last round. This was in the 11th round.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

What scenario would you ever give up Ubaldo Jimenez for Alex Rios? I'd strongly consider using an empty bench spot over playing Rios, especially with how he finished last season with the White Sox.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

There are internal discussions in my front office about offering Howard for Pujols.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

If it's EEEE EEEEZ or whoever from our league, he's offered me some doozies too. Worse than what you outlined.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Rios isn't of an age where you should expect him to be a lost cause. There's a decent chance that he will be an average OF. That has value if you are very thin in the OF. Jimenez is a dandy pitcher in rel life, and he will rack up K's and some wins in fantasy. ERA in Coors and his high-ish WHIP aren't any help.

This is one of those trades that are much closer in fantasy value than they sound in real life. In my league, it would be pretty close for these two. Jimenez has value because good pitchers are spread thin since we have to start so many. But Rios actually grades out with a higher total value for his projected stats this season. His position is pretty deep though.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Well .750 OPS OFs are a dime a dozen. In a standard 5x5 league (I think you said somewhere you're in a 8x5?) OF and Pitching is actually a decent comparison, since you need 3+ of each to fill your roster.

Last season Jimenez was 12th overall in Wins, 12th overall in Ks, 22nd overall in Wins, and 20th overall in WHIP. Once you get past the top 10 or so elite pitchers, finding someone consistent in all 4 cats isn't easy...so Jimenez provides value with that.

You figure most fantasy leagues are going to have 50-75 starting pitchers depending on set up. Assuming 48 starters in a league, the very low end, puts Jimenez in the top 25% in two cats and top 50% in 2. Solidly above average.

Rios was 37th among OFs in RBIs, 18th in SBs, 61st in AVG, 63rd in Runs, and 48th in HRs. Considering that the average 12 team league has 36 OFs starting, he was not above average in any stat, and wasn't even starter-worthy in 4 of the 5. Even if you anticipate Rios rebounding, he'd need to make significant strides just to be considered good enough to start, let alone good enough to trade for another player of value. Plus, even when he was considered a decent OF he only excelled on 2 of 5 categories, and is hitting his age 29 season, it's not really like anyone has any reason to anticipate him suddenly becoming above average.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Popeye_Card wrote:Rios isn't of an age where you should expect him to be a lost cause. There's a decent chance that he will be an average OF. That has value if you are very thin in the OF. Jimenez is a dandy pitcher in rel life, and he will rack up K's and some wins in fantasy. ERA in Coors and his high-ish WHIP aren't any help.

This is one of those trades that are much closer in fantasy value than they sound in real life. In my league, it would be pretty close for these two. Jimenez has value because good pitchers are spread thin since we have to start so many. But Rios actually grades out with a higher total value for his projected stats this season. His position is pretty deep though.
++

I'm not saying I'd actually make the trade, but Rios has a solid chance to be a 20/20 type guy this year, and that has a lot of value if you are weak in OF.

Fantasy baseball is different from real life, and unless your league counts OBP/OPS, batting average, runs, HR, RBI, SB are all that matters. Having a well rounded guy like Rios can have value.

I have Rios in a points based league, and expect him to be slightly above average for my league. In my league, Jimenez has great value because WHIP is not used, and I wouldn't make the trade in a 5 x 5 either, but it certainly isn't such a bad trade offer to even register a blip on "worst trade offers" thread.

It seems I expect a bigger rebound for Rios than the OP does.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

The 20/20 aspect to Rios is what makes him a valuable fantasy player. There are only a handful of guys out there that can get you 20+ steals and not be a power or OBP vacuum, and Rios is one of those guys that has very underrated value there.

The thing about any starting pitcher is just that there isn't a huge spread between the sub-elite starters and the also-rans. You can fill your roster with mediocre pitchers, give up on ERA each week (if you are in a H2H league like me), and just focus on starting every pitcher every game to win the counting stats. Well-rounded offense in my league is much, much more valuable than elite pitching.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Tommy Hanson and Pedro Feliz for Johan Santana and David Wright.

The only saving factor is that it's a keeper league and Hanson is $1 this year and next while Wright and Santana are both $48.

Hanson and Santana okay I can see that being somewhat fair, but Feliz and Wright....whew.

10 team NL only.
Last edited by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 on April 13 10, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.