Official Fantasy Trade Thread

Talk about fantasy sports here
Swingingbunt
All-Star

Re: Official Fantasy Trade Thread

Post by Swingingbunt »

themiddle54 wrote:
Swingingbunt wrote:
Any reason to think that Hosmer will fall off during his second tour of pitchers and teams?
No reason to think that. He's as complete a hitter as comes into the majors, and I think he could be Votto Lite. Maybe not the Most Best 1B Ever, but a guy who will show up on MVP ballots for the next decade.
Trade went through as final yesterday. Had a couple people vote against it saying it was an unfair trade...any light to shed as why that is? I am ignorant of how fantasy trades are viewed as unfair outside of looking at counting stats.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Swingingbunt wrote:
Trade went through as final yesterday. Had a couple people vote against it saying it was an unfair trade...any light to shed as why that is? I am ignorant of how fantasy trades are viewed as unfair outside of looking at counting stats.
Public league? Or everyone is friends? I find w/ most public leagues that it's virtually impossible to make a trade. Because I'm a moron, I subjected myself to the emotional pain of a $30 ESPN league this year. There have been three trades to pass, all were prior to 4/15. There have been NINETEEN trades vetoed, almost all of them fair enough, and it's because there is a league vote, and everyone who is competing won't let any team get even marginally better via a trade. It's frustrating. And kinda dumb IMO.

The saber-slanted league I run (which is actively looking for three more members next year to get from 11 to 14 if anyone is interested, hint hint plug plug) has League Manager veto power, w/ me as the LM. This week, the following trade was proposed:
From Team A: Holliday, Longoria, Josh Johnson
From Team B: Bumgarner, Wainwright
Keeper auction league. Bumgarner/Waino both cheap, good keepers even after inflation next year. The others expensive. The team dumping the three studs is 2nd-to-last and has decided to throw in the towel, in early June. The other guy, if he received those three guys, would have a lineup of Vmart, Miggy Cabrera, Cano, Longo, Holliday, Kemp at 7 of the 9 position spots. (We have smallish rosters, one player at each position and one UT.) We have a $260 auction budget, and the trade would have shot one guy up to like $345 in salary, or about 130% of the starting budget, and given him an insanely unbalanced roster relative to the rest of the league. I vetoed this trade in a heartbeat. Well, not a heartbeat, I mean, I vetoed it after I picked myself off the ground and stopped laughing at the audacity of the deal.

What's funny is that everyone in the league, including the two guys in the trade, admit that it's lopsided and pretty much unfair to the league. What's not funny is that they're upset that the LM should not have the power to veto the trade, and that it should have the standard ESPN window of time for other teams to vote. So this trade, made over the weekend, could easily get ignored by league members and pass. Which is also funny, but in a bad way. We're in the process of an epic gripe session about how trades should be handled, with everyone arguing that I've been objective and fair about every trade so far (except the guy benefitting from the trade, who has insisted that I vetoed it so he could not win, which is just silly), but I should not be allowed to veto trades as commish, so that the league can do an anonymous vote, like the one you mentioned. Meaning instead of a commish who votes and is accountable for his actions to the league, everyone can make an anonymous vote, shoot down any trade, and have no accountability for why they are doing it. Also, to me, funny in a bad way. I've proposed a 3-person committee in the league that reviews trades and votes on them objectively and gives their reasoning to the league, with majority rule in that 3-man committee, and even that is getting a ton of blowback. Basically, people want to be able to anonymously shoot down trades that don't benefit them, which has always annoyed me as a standard fantasy thing.

I should have put this in rants. Sorry.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

My league (which you and I have discussed before, themiddle54) has commissioner veto power, and I am the commissioner. The tact I have always taken is if two teams agree to it, who am I to step into the middle of their agreement?

We've only had 1 league-wide beef in our 8 years. The grievance was more knee-jerk than anything, and it was based solely on emotion and not facts, stats or logic. The trade was defensible at the time it was made, and even at the end of the season, it turned out to be marginally slanted.

We're not a keeper and/or auction league, though, so it's not entirely the same situation.