Football Draft Strategy

Talk about fantasy sports here
Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Re: Football Draft Strategy

Post by Lesson »

vinsanity wrote:
cardslesson101 wrote:That plan works the best. At 17, I took Grant, but I'd rather have Rice. Romo maybe taken in the 2nd, so be prepared to take Brady.
I wouldn't take Brady 16 overall. I'd be wary of Romo at 16 overall. I'd actally consider Rivers over Brady at this point. You got Grant at 17, who'd you get at 3, MoJo? I'm gonna pray by taking Rice, there ends up being a run on QB's and I get Manning or Romo at 16, but pray in one hand and [expletive] in the other...see which fills first.
In the 3rd, I got Vernon Davis, I think. But this is a 16 team league and I traded up to 17, traded my 3rd for a 2nd, traded the other 2nd for a 3rd and no 4th. Rice will be there at 4.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

cardslesson101 wrote:In the 3rd, I got Vernon Davis, I think. But this is a 16 team league and I traded up to 17, traded my 3rd for a 2nd, traded the other 2nd for a 3rd and no 4th.
Gotcha, I was wondering who you took with your first pick if you got Grant at 17.
Rice will be there at 4.
I'm not worried about Rice being there at 4. I'm worried about getting Rodgers, Brees or Manning with the 16th pick (10 team snake). It's possible that the guy ahead of me will do something crazy, but of the 4 guys I think really know much of anything, 2 are ahead of me (1 and 3) and 2 are behind me, 6 and 8. So I can see one or both of them going QB, but wouldn't be in the least surprised if the rest went pretty much entirely be yahoo rankings - but there is a chance one of them will take Manning a little earlier since we live in Indy.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

In my second league, it's two divisions of 8 teams each. So there are two separate drafts, and the winners of each of the division play each other. I have the 8th pick, so basically like two first round picks.

The problem is if everyone picks a RB, there's a huge drop off in RB's after the first 7; Johnson, Peterson, Jones-Drew, Turner, Rice, Gore, Jackson. If all RB's go in the first round, I'm going QB/WR for the first two picks because it won't matter how good my RB is. You can always get a Benson or Ryan Grant type RB with the next pick or two.

Would you guys go with Rodgers or Brees if I end up taking that QB first (and they're both available)?

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

TGantz wrote:Would you guys go with Rodgers or Brees if I end up taking that QB first (and they're both available)?
I don't think you can go wrong, but I'd say Rodgers cause teams are less likely to be marking the Packers on the schedules than Brees.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

vinsanity wrote:
cardslesson101 wrote:In the 3rd, I got Vernon Davis, I think. But this is a 16 team league and I traded up to 17, traded my 3rd for a 2nd, traded the other 2nd for a 3rd and no 4th.
Gotcha, I was wondering who you took with your first pick if you got Grant at 17.

I took Brees at 8.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

cardslesson101 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
I took Brees at 8.
Not helping my confidence of getting one of them at 16. Is 24 too soon for Romo?

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Tonight's the big draft, I'm going Rice at 4 (assuming he doesn't go sooner), then praying one of the big 3 QB's fall. If not, who should I be looking for? Grab a back like Steven Jackson at 16? WR? Calvin Johnson or Brandon Marshall?

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

vinsanity wrote:Tonight's the big draft, I'm going Rice at 4 (assuming he doesn't go sooner), then praying one of the big 3 QB's fall. If not, who should I be looking for? Grab a back like Steven Jackson at 16? WR? Calvin Johnson or Brandon Marshall?
Jackson won't fall to 16. I went with Marshall for my 2nd pick in a 12 team league, but it's a risky pick. Calvin Johnson is the man.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Whoa - for my first time in the 18 years of ffb i have the first pick in the draft.

Adrian Peterson ?

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Freed Roger wrote:Whoa - for my first time in the 18 years of ffb i have the first pick in the draft.

Adrian Peterson ?
I'd got with CJ, I actually like MoJo over AP this year.