Football Draft Strategy

Talk about fantasy sports here
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Football Draft Strategy

Post by Freed Roger »

vinsanity wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Whoa - for my first time in the 18 years of ffb i have the first pick in the draft.

Adrian Peterson ?
I'd got with CJ, I actually like MoJo over AP this year.

MoJo -I assume that is Jones Drew - is he durable still? - he's been around.

Chris Johnson -I like him but think he has to be due for a Peterson-esque letdown year.

And though it will be even easier for opponents to key on him (without Harvin, with ancient Favre, etc) Petersen has something to prove.

I'll be honest -I don't keep current with what's happened in offseason and in camps. I may see about trading down in the draft because most of my prep happens during the draft. (thus my drafts are meh-and I usually am slow out of the gate , but I tend to pick up the in-season trends pretty well.)

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Freed Roger wrote:MoJo -I assume that is Jones Drew - is he durable still? - he's been around.
25, this is his 5th season so he's gettong 'old' , but only sniffed 200 carries in 2 of them. I think he'll be fine - and gets lot carries this year.
Chris Johnson -I like him but think he has to be due for a Peterson-esque letdown year.
Even with Young I think they are a run first offense and he'll get lots of carries and probably the fastest of the three. He'll rack up the yards.
And though it will be even easier for opponents to key on him (without Harvin, with ancient Favre, etc) Petersen has something to prove.
I'm not worried about his touches or even yards, but his fumbles and running style scare me the most. He's most likely to get injured IMO, will lose more than a few fumbles.

I don't think you can go wrong, just MHO.
I'll be honest -I don't keep current with what's happened in offseason and in camps. I may see about trading down in the draft because most of my prep happens during the draft. (thus my drafts are meh-and I usually am slow out of the gate , but I tend to pick up the in-season trends pretty well.)
I like being a little down in the draft, grabbing Rodgers/Brees/Manning at the turn, and hitting a lower top tier RB like Jackson, or Williams in Carolina, like that.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

vinsanity wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:MoJo -I assume that is Jones Drew - is he durable still? - he's been around.
25, this is his 5th season so he's gettong 'old' , but only sniffed 200 carries in 2 of them. I think he'll be fine - and gets lot carries this year.
Even with Young I think they are a run first offense and he'll get lots of carries and probably the fastest of the three. He'll rack up the yards.
I'm not worried about his touches or even yards, but his fumbles and running style scare me the most. He's most likely to get injured IMO, will lose more than a few fumbles.

I don't think you can go wrong, just MHO.
I like being a little down in the draft, grabbing Rodgers/Brees/Manning at the turn, and hitting a lower top tier RB like Jackson, or Williams in Carolina, like that.
How many teams are in your draft vinsanity? Because you keep mentioning Jackson in the second round. I have done 5 live drafts now (four free ones) and in every single one (all 12 team leagues) Jackson is always the top ten. If there are less teams, it's possible I guess.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

TGantz wrote:How many teams are in your draft vinsanity? Because you keep mentioning Jackson in the second round. I have done 5 live drafts now (four free ones) and in every single one (all 12 team leagues) Jackson is always the top ten. If there are less teams, it's possible I guess.
10, but 6 pts for Passing TD's and 1 pt per 20 instead of 25 puts QB's as the top scorers. It depends on your league I suppose, some are higher on Jackson than others.

I'd say my top 15 are
CJ, MoJo, AP, Rice, Gore, Turner (though I'd hate to make that pick), Rodgers, Brees, Andre Johnson, Jackson, Mendenhall, Manning, DeAngelo Williams, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne (another I'm not crazy about)

Something like that. But QB is deeper than I thought Romo and Matt Schaub are great picks, but I'm not sold on Turner, Mendenhall, Williams. I don't like taking a WR first, I think a QB is worth way more and 'good' WR are always out there. You could take Jackson ahead of Rodgers - but I RB's get injured more often, less likely to score as much and much less consistent. I'd take Rodgers+Grant/Wayne/Roddy White over Jackson+Calvin Johnson. But I'm ok with guys like Benson, Best, Beanie Wells, Jamaal Charles in the 3rd/4th rounds. Because I like Boldin, Hakeem Nicks, Knox, Maclin etc in later rounds as well

I'm hardly an expert though, it's just feelings.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

vinsanity wrote:
TGantz wrote:How many teams are in your draft vinsanity? Because you keep mentioning Jackson in the second round. I have done 5 live drafts now (four free ones) and in every single one (all 12 team leagues) Jackson is always the top ten. If there are less teams, it's possible I guess.
10, but 6 pts for Passing TD's and 1 pt per 20 instead of 25 puts QB's as the top scorers. It depends on your league I suppose, some are higher on Jackson than others.

I'd say my top 15 are
CJ, MoJo, AP, Rice, Gore, Turner (though I'd hate to make that pick), Rodgers, Brees, Andre Johnson, Jackson, Mendenhall, Manning, DeAngelo Williams, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne (another I'm not crazy about)

Something like that. But QB is deeper than I thought Romo and Matt Schaub are great picks, but I'm not sold on Turner, Mendenhall, Williams. I don't like taking a WR first, I think a QB is worth way more and 'good' WR are always out there. You could take Jackson ahead of Rodgers - but I RB's get injured more often, less likely to score as much and much less consistent. I'd take Rodgers+Grant/Wayne/Roddy White over Jackson+Calvin Johnson. But I'm ok with guys like Benson, Best, Beanie Wells, Jamaal Charles in the 3rd/4th rounds. Because I like Boldin, Hakeem Nicks, Knox, Maclin etc in later rounds as well

I'm hardly an expert though, it's just feelings.
It's tough in leagues like that. On one hand, QB's are important so you want to make sure you get a good one. On the other, there's not a huge difference between all of the QB's and there's a huge drop off in RB's. My strategy is always draft a solid RB in the first round, and pick a WR next. QB usually falls to 4th or 5th round for me, but a lot of people disagree with that. It really depends on the year I guess. If you do go QB/WR, you need two RB's in a row to make up for it, IMO.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Rodgers, Brees Manning gone in 14 picks. Got MoJo and Jackson then Romo third.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

vinsanity wrote:Rodgers, Brees Manning gone in 14 picks. Got MoJo and Jackson then Romo third.
I think I reached a bit on Romo with 24, but Schaub went immediately after, Brady and Flacco got taken before my next pick so I'm happy I made it. Miles Austin, Larry Fitz, Greg Jennings, those are the guys that were there and would have been nice.

QB - Romo (best WR corp he's had yet, always a solid producer. I don't like the guy, but I'm betting this is his year)
RB - MoJo (PPR league, #3 took Ray Rice dammit)
RB - Steven Jackson (Could end up being the steal of the draft at 16)
WR - Anquan Boldin (Really liked him in the 4th round)
WR - Hakeem Nicks (ehhh, not pleased with myself but I needed a WR)
Flex - Dwayne Bowe (6th Round, not bad if Weis can bring some of his NE magic to town with Cassel)
TE - Brent Celek (Maybe a reach in the 7th, but it seemed more important than a backup RB/WR, Witten and Gonzo went in the same round. Kolb is, by all accounts, a more accurate passer than McNabb and Philly was last or something in Pass TD's in red zone. I'm thinking Kolb could look to his big ass TE as a target)
Bench
WR - Housh, Knox (Kind of an accident, but in the 9th with Marx could end up great), Berrian (11th round could be real good without Rice)
RB - Donald Brown (Not happy with this at all, But Williams and Forsett got taken off just before me and some people had him as a 'sleeper'), McFadden - with Bush hurt could be good early.

I suppose I could drop Brown and go get my backup QB, but I'll probably play the matchups and see how it goes.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

That's a good team Vinsanity, but every team in a 10 team league will be good I suppose. I like Knox and Bowe quite a bit honestly.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

phinstd wrote:That's a good team Vinsanity, but every team in a 10 team league will be good I suppose. I like Knox and Bowe quite a bit honestly.
Heh ya it happens in a 10 team league.