Getting used to the auction draft

Talk about fantasy sports here
Swingingbunt
All-Star

Getting used to the auction draft

Post by Swingingbunt »

I feel like I'm finally starting to figure them out. I've become a pretty big fan of the auction draft simply because you really control who you get to a much greater extent than in the snake or autopick drafts. My first draft this year sucked...I looked for sleepers and guys going for rebound years and ended up with a "meh" team and 35 bucks left at the end.

The second draft, I just went after opportunity and great RBs...

QB: Schaub and Colt McCoy
RB: Charles, MJD, LeSean McCoy, Ryan Mathews, and Starks
WR: Mike Williams, Knox, James Jones, Rice, and Emmanuel Sanders
TE: Keller and Shiancoe
D: Jets
K: Rackers

Very weak at WR, but I'm hoping for a waiver wire breakout.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Getting used to the auction draft

Post by JCShutout »

One of my leagues tried an auction draft for the first time. I'm not too happy with my team, but I agree that its better in that everyone has a chance at every player. It was hard to gauge what was a good amount to bid though, a lot of teams went after the top guys for lots of money, and I kept holding back looking for value, but lost some really good mid value guys because there were a couple of other teams doing the same thing (Just me vs. another team for Gates, Blount, Moreno, Best, F Jones and I only got Gates).

I ended up with:

QB (1): Ryan ($13), Cutler ($1)
WR (3): Nicks ($35), S Johnson (Buf) ($10), Britt ($9), Boldin ($11), Crabtree ($2)
RB (2): McCoy ($44), MJD ($43), Hightower ($2) R Bush ($2), D Thomas ($1) (Thomas Dropped for B Tate)
TE (1): Gates ($19)
K: Henery (Phi) ($1)
D: SF ($1)

A few bucks leftover (I expected more bidding for Hightower, and at that point my $8 or $9 left was the highest).

I should have just bid on another top WR (in the $30 range) instead of spending around $10 each for 3 okay guys (thought Britt, if healthy, can be a monster) since its always easiest IMO to find a #3WR on the waiver wire. Or I probably should have gone hard after a 3rd RB instead of letting Moreno and Best go for $11 each. I was saving up for guys I ended up missing out on anyways.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Re: Getting used to the auction draft

Post by Swingingbunt »

I did the same thing in my first auction draft of the year JC. I have terrible RB on that team...TERRIBLE. Overpaid for Rodgers.

Sometimes I think the draft lobbies list too much information. I understand why...more people can justify joining...but man, there's really no such thing as a true sleeper anymore...you can sort most lobbies by last year's total points, projected points for this year, bye week, and I've even seen it somewhere that you can sort by 3 year average. Unreal.