Where to draft Ryan Braun?

Talk about fantasy sports here
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Where to draft Ryan Braun?

Post by Popeye_Card »

I think it is a safe assumption that once he's back from his suspension, he'll be as good as always. Which normally means he's easily a top 5 pick.

However, how long should I wait to take him? 2nd round too early? My league only pays out for the playoffs, so the first couple of months don't really matter as long as you place in the top half of the league in order to reach the playoffs. Normally not a problem unless I'm ravaged by injuries.

RotoWire ranks him #37, which would suggest a 3rd/4th round choice. I don't think I can take him in the 1st no matter where I draft. But I'm really leaning towards 2nd round unless there's a no-doubter 1st round guy still on the board.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Where to draft Ryan Braun?

Post by heyzeus »

If you're lucky there'll be an answer on his appeal before draft day.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

heyzeus wrote:If you're lucky there'll be an answer on his appeal before draft day.
Let's hope. Since composing this thread, we settled on our draft date (3/17) and draft order (me: 5 of 10), so this helps me out in terms of a.) hopefully knowing Braun's fate by then, and b.) knowing I'm going in the middle of the round each time.

Mock drafts have him going all over the place. Anywhere from 1st overall to 47th. If his suspension holds, 16th overall still feels early for missing almost 1/3 of the season, but would he still be there at 25?

The other end of this spectrum I'm wavering on is how high to draft Strasburg. In my league's format, he's going to be a stud. Possibly the best SP overall. But he's supposed to have a firm cap on innings, and they're just going to shut him down at that point, rather than spacing them over the course of the season. So how high do I draft him when I know he's going to be useless come playoff time? Do you nab him in the ~6th round (possibly a tad early) to ensure you get the production for 5 months, which gives you enough time to identify and acquire this year's Mystery Breakout Candidate to eventually replace him?

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Thanks for screwing my fantasy baseball season, MLB.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I'd stay away at #5. That's just me though.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

go birds wrote:I'd stay away at #5. That's just me though.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to. Either Tulo or Votto should still be available there, and that will be my pick. If Braun is still available at 16 though, I'm pouncing.