Rant: Fantasy Baseball Playoffs

Talk about fantasy sports here
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Rant: Fantasy Baseball Playoffs

Post by Popeye_Card »

Where do I begin...

Summary: Who the [expletive] decided that September is a great time of year to determine who is going to be crowned champion of your fantasy league? Managers and rosters become insane. Teams clinch, guys get rested, somewhat injured guys on non-contenders sometimes play and sometimes don't, usage of relievers becomes crazy when there are 18 man bullpens.

I lost my H2H matchup this past week. The 4th year in a row I have had a quality team get ousted in the semi-finals. Why this time? Because I fell 1 save short (and 1 loss too many). 1 [expletive] save. "Popeye, why is this rant-worthy?" Because I have 8 [expletive] REGULAR CLOSERS ON MY ROSTER*! While my opponent had 2 regular closers, 1 fill-in, and 1 late drop-in.

Let's review my guys week, in approximate order of rage I have against them or their manager.

Wilton Lopez: I admit, he's not going to give me many saves, because the Astros are awful. He gave me 1. I will accept that.

Glen Perkins: You are my hero. You gave me 3 saves.

Huston Street / Luke Gregerson: You guys gave me 1 save between you. Thank you Padre organization for being vague as to when Street was going to return, making me have to continue to roster and start Gregerson in the meantime.

Greg Holland: You did just fine. You gave me 2 saves. But of course your manager decided to not use you to close on Saturday night, when that additional save could have REALLY [expletive] HELPED ME.

Tyler Clippard: You have sucked lately to the point of barely being rosterable. Thanks for your 1 save, but also thanks for your 2 [expletive] LOSSES, because had I lost one less game, I also would have won this week. So thank you. And thank you Davey Johnson for being vague about who you are going to use as a closer from this point on, so I can know if I can drop this sack of [expletive].

Kenley Jansen: Oh boy--Don Mattingly, you are on my [expletive] list. Last night. Opportunity to get that final save to propel me to victory. And you use your lights-out closer for most of the season in the 7th [expletive] inning?

Aroldis Chapman: Thank you for your season. But [expletive] you for deciding to get dead arm at the worst possible time.

Andrew Bailey: Hell has a special place for you. You have been the bane of my fantasy existence all year. I stash you on my DL, you take forever to come back. You finally come back, and you suck to the point of me releasing you. I pick you back up after a strong stretch, and then Thursday happens (0.1 IP, 5 runs, 4 hits, 1 walk, 135.00 ERA, 15.00 WHIP, 0.00 K:BB ratio). Not only did you not get me a save, you gave me a loss, and you [expletive] up all of my rate stats in one fell swoop. Then, to add injury to insult, after I drop your ass for the last time, my opponent picks you up--then after loading the bases, you FINALLY [expletive] COME THROUGH, giving him both the deciding save AND avoiding the deciding loss. I hate you, Andrew Bailey.

As for my opponent? Jason Motte. 5 [expletive] saves by himself this week. If I saw Mike Matheny right now, I'd kick him squarely in the nuts, then give him a hunting knife to open as a gift. Oh yeah, and Jonathon Broxton--the guy that got to vulture Chapman's saves while he's been fiddle-[expletive] around with bullpen sessions.

I hate fantasy baseball right now. So full of rage at a silly game.

* My league starts 2 SP's, 2 RP's, and 4 P's each day. Our H2H categories for pitching are W, L, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K:BB with a relatively low IP requirement each week. After all of my SP's went to [expletive] or were injured, I decided to deploy an all RP strategy--basically plan on losing W and K each week, but dominating the rate stats and saves while avoiding losses. Worked like a charm all season. Until September, where it has been killing me.

Roshambo
Veteran Player

Re: Rant: Fantasy Baseball Playoffs

Post by Roshambo »

Popeye_Card wrote:I hate fantasy baseball right now. So full of rage at a silly game.
To borrow from, then bastardize, Leo Buscaglia: "The opposite of love is not hate. It's fantasy baseball."

jeffbgoofy
All-Star

Post by jeffbgoofy »

I relaized I won last week and forgot to brag about it...yeah me!!

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

jeffbgoofy wrote:I relaized I won last week and forgot to brag about it...yeah me!!
This would have never happened if the manager of the Heyward Jablowmies was still alive. Not only would they have won the league, but you could be damn sure that there would be much gloating.

jeffbgoofy
All-Star

Post by jeffbgoofy »

JackofDiamonds wrote:
jeffbgoofy wrote:I relaized I won last week and forgot to brag about it...yeah me!!
This would have never happened if the manager of the Heyward Jablowmies was still alive. Not only would they have won the league, but you could be damn sure that there would be much gloating.
Think I've won it two of the past three years...better. I am just not that much of a gloater...

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

jeffbgoofy wrote:
JackofDiamonds wrote:
Think I've won it two of the past three years...better. I am just not that much of a gloater...
Which fantasy baseball league? I think I tied in the championship game the H2H league this year.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Fan_In_NY wrote:
jeffbgoofy wrote:
JackofDiamonds wrote:
Which fantasy baseball league? I think I tied in the championship game the H2H league this year.

Ooh, yeah, I was thinking of the H2H. Jeff was talking about our Yahoo league where my first year didn't go so swimmingly.

I sucked it up in both leagues. Work blocked a ton of sites after we had a few attempted hacks on the server, and Yahoo/ESPN were culled.

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

Lost my fantasy playoffs in the final week. I had Greinke, King Felix, Matt Cain, RA Dickey ... twice each. Ugh.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I am in that psuedo-sim league, where they use actual day to day performance stats, plug them into a formula, and calculate a score. I took over a crappy team in a crappy division about 1/4 of the way into the season, and turned them around. They play a 150 game schedule. I won the division by 1 game by beating a team by 0.01 runs in the last game. My team's record was an awful 68-82, but as I said, my division was god-awful. I bet it was the worst division in their entire system.

For the playoffs, there are only 2 rounds, like an LCS and a WS. I won the LCS 4-2, and I'm now tied 1-1 in the championship round. To do the playoffs, they just pick random game performances of your players from the 2nd half of the season to plug into the formula. So there is a huge luck factor. My team did have a winning record the 2nd half of the season, though, so this is why I am holding my own. It's just the first half the team was just putrid.

The team I beat in the LCS nearly finished in a 3 way tie in their division, which was the toughest division. They finished 2 games ahead of 1 team and tied another. So they had to win a 1 game playoff just to make it, even though they finished like 20 games ahead of my team.

They do play more playoff rounds after this. This round will crown the league champion (of 16 teams). Then they pit the league champions against each other using random games until there is just 1 champion of the whole thing.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

I lost (tied 5-5 and lost the tiebreaker) in the final week of the season too. I picked up Homer Bailey in my final move of the year just before his no-hitter but my opponent put up 4 SP wins that same day so the celebration was short lived. I think the season should end a week early because the starting pitching thing is just ridiculous in the final week. Scherzer and Darvish not getting their two starts likely cost me the title, although second place got $150 instead of $200 so I'm not really complaining. In the semi finals I was again tied 5-5 and was tied 10-10 in the head to head tie breaker so I would have lost to the higher seed, when Houston Street came out of nowhere with a late Sunday save, his first in a couple months, to tie saves and give me the 5-4-1 win. I would have lost the matchup for third place the following week and been completely out of the money so it was an unbelievably exciting finish. I guess I'm not really ranting at all.