GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 22 17, 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: April 28 17, 2:23 pm 
All-Star

themiddle54 wrote:

There's biased stuff that's full of falsehoods--FOX, InfoWars, Breitbart, and a few on the left as well.

If only the level of sites providing falsehoods was in any way the same - that you can't name any (and I can't think of any off the top of my head) is a pretty good indication which side of the political debate is the one playing fast-and-loose with the truth.

PostPosted: April 28 17, 5:50 pm 
Hall Of Famer

The Liberal media is at it again, denying climate change.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/opin ... ainty.html

For real though I am baffled why the New York Times hired this guy.

PostPosted: June 27 17, 6:46 pm 
'Burb Boy

Thank you, Brian Karem.

PostPosted: July 16 17, 10:46 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Sort of tangentially related...In the world of high-frequency trading on Wall Street, the algorithms will already put out phony quotes into the market, just to flood the opponent algorithms with information that they'll need to process. This slows down their competitors a tiny bit, giving them a slight advantage.

Well, algorithms are now reading headlines! They are making trades based on headlines, within nanoseconds from when the headline comes out. Algorithms are also learning to read entire articles. Also don't forget that machines are starting to *write* articles, too. So will we have machines writing fake news articles to try to fake out other machines?

This Ted Talk has info about this starting at about the 8:00 mark. The Ted Talk was from 5 years ago so I would not be surprised if some of this stuff has already happened.

PostPosted: July 20 17, 2:06 pm 
Hall Of Famer

If there's one thing this country needs more of, it's right wing propaganda.

Also, the media still totally has a liberal bias.

The Sinclair Revolution Will Be Televised. It’ll Just Have Low Production Values
Quote:
Located in Hunt Valley, Md., little-known Sinclair is the nation’s largest owner of broadcast TV stations. It has 173 of them, mostly in small markets (Sioux City, Iowa; Fresno, Calif.; Little Rock), but with several in larger metropolitan areas as well (Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, Washington). Whatever a particular station’s network affiliation—ABC, CBS, CW, Fox, or NBC—Sinclair viewers get a steady dose of conservative political commentary. Lately, Executive Chairman David Smith has begun assembling a kind of junior varsity squad of commentators and making unspecific murmurings about competing head-to-head with the senior lettermen and women at Fox News. To left-leaning viewers only just becoming aware of the company’s reach, Sinclair is positioned to flip a switch and turn those 173 stations’ newscasts—currently delivering bulletins on weather, school closings, and local affairs—into a cohesive network that pushes a Fox News-esque worldview of outrage and conflict into individual cities, counties, and towns.
Quote:
The segments look like something you might see on Fox News—but only if you stripped away Fox’s high-end graphics, state-of-the-art studios, tailored wardrobes, perfect dental hygiene, and polished scripts. Epshteyn’s low-budget shtick, often delivered in front of a graphic image of the White House overladen with the stars and stripes, hasn’t wowed critics. One, David Zurawik, wrote in the Baltimore Sun that Epshteyn’s “commentary has come as close to classic propaganda as anything I have seen in broadcast television in the last 30 years.” But since Trump’s surprise victory last fall, liberal and progressive viewers have learned that in the current political-media climate, seemingly slipshod productions can suddenly hit it big.

Sinclair is likely to get larger yet. In May the company announced it was buying Tribune Media Co. for $3.9 billion. Among other assets, Sinclair would add 42 TV stations—including major ones in New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago—if the deal is approved by regulators. The expansion wouldn’t have been possible if Trump’s pick to lead the Federal Communications Commission, Ajit Pai, hadn’t voted a few weeks earlier to ease a major restriction on local media ownership.

PostPosted: August 24 17, 9:04 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Propublica: Pro-Russian Bots Take Up the Right-Wing Cause After Charlottesville
Quote:
Angee Dixson joined Twitter on Aug. 8 and immediately began posting furiously — about 90 times a day. A self-described American Christian conservative, Dixson defended President Donald Trump’s response to the unrest in Charlottesville, criticized the removal of Confederate monuments and posted pictures purporting to show violence by left-wing counterprotesters.

“Dems and Media Continue to IGNORE BLM and Antifa Violence in Charlottesville,” she wrote above a picture of masked demonstrators labeled “DEMOCRAT TERROR.”

But Dixson appears to have been a fake, according to an analysis by Ben Nimmo, a fellow with the Digital Forensic Research Lab at the Atlantic Council think tank. The account has been shut down. Dixson’s profile picture was stolen from a young Instagram celebrity (a German model rumored to have dated Leonardo DiCaprio). Dixson used a URL shortener that is a tell for the sort of computer program that automatically churns out high volumes of social media posts whose authorship is frequently disguised. And one of her tweets attacked Sen. John McCain for his alleged support of Ukrainian neo-Nazis, echoing language in tweets from Russian outlets RT and Sputnik

Quote:
A sample of 600 Twitter accounts linked to Russian influence operations have been promoting hashtags for Charlottesville such as “antifa,” a term for activists on the far left; and “alt-left,” a term Trump used, which was interpreted by many as suggesting an equivalence between liberal demonstrators and white nationalists in the so-called alt-right.

The sample includes accounts that are openly pro-Russian like state-controlled outlets RT and Sputnik, which a joint U.S. intelligence assessment concluded are “part of Russia’s state-run propaganda machine.” The sample also includes those, like “Angee Dixson’s,” that seem to be written by typical Americans. And it follows automated bots that help make messages go viral and even users around the world who spread the Kremlin’s messages whether or not they mean to support Russia.

PostPosted: August 24 17, 10:24 am 
Perennial All-Star

Along the same lines, this is a really disturbing read.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... lle-215514

Quote:
Hours after an interview I did with Alex Witt of MSNBC, neo-Nazi commentators started posting about me on 4chan, Reddit and YouTube. These crack researchers bragged that they had discovered I worked for the State Department (it’s in my Twitter bio), that I have a connection to George Soros (he very publicly donated to the campaign of my former boss, Tom Perriello), and that I spent time in Africa working in conflict areas (information available in major news outlets).

Desperate to lay blame on anyone besides the alt-right, they seized on these facts to suggest a counter-narrative to the attack, claiming there was no way that someone with my background just happened to be right there to take the video. Even ignoring the fact that someone with my background—raised in Virginia, UVA graduate, lives in Charlottesville, worked to resolve ethnic conflicts overseas, politically progressive—is exactly the kind of person you’d expect to find at a protest against Nazis, their theories were absurd and illogical. They wrote that I was a CIA operative, funded by (choose your own adventure) George Soros, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, the IMF/World Bank, and/or a global Jewish mafia to orchestrate the Charlottesville attack in order to turn the general public against the alt-right. I had staged the attack and then worked with MSNBC and other outlets controlled by the left to spread propaganda. They claimed my ultimate goal was to start a race war that would undermine and then overthrow Donald Trump on behalf of the “Deep State.”

PostPosted: August 24 17, 11:11 am 

GeddyWrox wrote:
Along the same lines, this is a really disturbing read.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... lle-215514

Quote:
Hours after an interview I did with Alex Witt of MSNBC, neo-Nazi commentators started posting about me on 4chan, Reddit and YouTube. These crack researchers bragged that they had discovered I worked for the State Department (it’s in my Twitter bio), that I have a connection to George Soros (he very publicly donated to the campaign of my former boss, Tom Perriello), and that I spent time in Africa working in conflict areas (information available in major news outlets).

Desperate to lay blame on anyone besides the alt-right, they seized on these facts to suggest a counter-narrative to the attack, claiming there was no way that someone with my background just happened to be right there to take the video. Even ignoring the fact that someone with my background—raised in Virginia, UVA graduate, lives in Charlottesville, worked to resolve ethnic conflicts overseas, politically progressive—is exactly the kind of person you’d expect to find at a protest against Nazis, their theories were absurd and illogical. They wrote that I was a CIA operative, funded by (choose your own adventure) George Soros, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, the IMF/World Bank, and/or a global Jewish mafia to orchestrate the Charlottesville attack in order to turn the general public against the alt-right. I had staged the attack and then worked with MSNBC and other outlets controlled by the left to spread propaganda. They claimed my ultimate goal was to start a race war that would undermine and then overthrow Donald Trump on behalf of the “Deep State.”

My extremely liberal Jill Stein-voting elderly ex-neighbor buys into a lot of these same conspiracy theories that are targeted at Trump voters. Believes in Seth Rich murdered by dems, that Bernie actually won primary, and still believes in Pizzagate and a massive pedophilia ring around the Clintons.

PostPosted: August 24 17, 11:20 am 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
And Cheney is behind 9-11 probably.

PostPosted: August 24 17, 11:25 am 

Leroy wrote:
And Cheney is behind 9-11 probably.

nope but chemtrails from jets in the sky.
-----------
This has gone to new levels with twitter and social media. you used to reaaally have to work at it to follow or promote conspiracy theories.

It suckers in a lot of different people, but quite terrible what it's doing to older people.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next