GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 19 17, 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Transratial
PostPosted: November 13 17, 8:13 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I am intrigued by the idea of "genetic memory". We know it exists in certain species, even mammals. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Neuroscientific research on mice suggests that some experiences can influence subsequent generations. In a study,[2][3] mice trained to fear a specific smell passed on their trained aversion to their descendants, which were then extremely sensitive and fearful of the same smell, even though they had never encountered it, nor been trained to fear it.

Changes in brain structure were also found. The researchers concluded that "[t]he experiences of a parent, even before conceiving, markedly influence both structure and function in the nervous system of subsequent generations".[4]

Scientists speculate that similar genetic mechanisms could be linked with phobias, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorders, as well as other neuropsychiatric disorders, in humans

But so far all the examples involve traumatic memories and not something less traumatic like culture. And it's moot if the individual has no Filipino ancestry. But I guess the larger point here is that it may be possible for two people could be born of the same race and have "different brains" if their parents had traumatic experiences and others' parents did not.

PostPosted: November 13 17, 9:52 pm 
Everyday Player

lukethedrifter wrote:
He’s not comfortable with his current rate?

I'm a 9/10 that was born a 5/6. You'd think my Match.com inbox would be lit up, but people are bigots.

PostPosted: November 13 17, 11:50 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

This thread reminds me of an ancestry.com commercial

PostPosted: November 14 17, 12:00 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Michael wrote:
To fully accept transracial you also have to accept people of races have significantly different brains. I'm not going down that road.

I mean, if you feel like you're a certain race as you quietly go about your business, go for it. But you certainly don't want to do what Rach...

G. Keenan wrote:
Seems like a kid looking for a place to feel like he belongs. Go for it.

And I still think Rachel Dolezal (since the article mentions her) got a raw deal. The liberal racial policing that went on with all that was disturbing.

I think Rachel Dolezal got what was coming to her. I suggest reading this interview.

That isn't an interview. It's an opinion piece dripping with the author's contempt for her subject that presupposes an audience already sympathetic to her point of view, and which therefore makes no effort to lay out an argument for any of its sweeping claims. It basically says, "I am black, and therefore have authentic authority on all things black. Dolezal is white, and therefore can have no insight into race in America because she is blinded by white privilege everywhere she looks." And for the most part that's true.

But one of the problems with today's left is an obsession with "authenticity" when it comes to identity. The same political movement that says "if a person born with a penis feels deep down inside like a woman she should be allowed to publicly live as a woman" also says "a white woman who feels more at home in African American culture cannot self-identify as black."

I understand the role of white privilege in the Dolezal instance. It is clearly the case that a black woman cannot cross racial lines in the way that Dolezal was allowed to. I get the anger that provokes in people, as it clearly does to the author of the above editorial. The author is particularly enraged not just for the racial transgression of a white woman masquerading as black, but because Dolezal encroached on her academic turf in the process.

I don't think that "transracial" is a thing and I hope it does not become a widely accepted term. I think Rachel Dolezal is kind of weird and basically a clueless person with her heart in the right place. I don't think she is some great race hustler whose fraud was, by the grace of God, exposed to the nation before she could do more damage.

Unless I'm mistaken, she was living a pretty quiet life in Spokane just doing her thing until her parents outed her to the media out of spite. Then the great Social Media Shaming Machine whirred into action and an angry nation put her in rightful place. What was she supposed to do, roll over and die?

Was she on the talk show circuit before all this went down? Did she lecture in colleges across the country? Who the hell was Rachel Dolezal before the media made her a household name? Basically just a white lady passing as black in a small town because it made her feel good. Does that make her a monster?

PostPosted: November 14 17, 12:41 pm 
has a link from 538 to share

I really don't think the transgender vs transracial comparison you're making works.

Dolezal is absolutely a terrible person. Here's a few things she's done in no particular order:

1) Fabricated racial hate crimes to increase her authenticity within the NAACP. That's why a reporter fact checked her and Dolezal's folks verified her identity.
2) Made derogatory statements on facebook about black men who date white women. Oh the irony.
3) She told the Eastern Washington University student newspaper that she was born in a teepee, hunted food with a bow and was beaten by her parents with a “baboon whip.”
4) Sued Howard in 2002, charging that the historically black school had discriminated against her because she was white, removing her art from an exhibition “to favor African American students.”
5) Lying on applications regarding her race.
6) This facebook nonsense:

Spoiler: show

There's more stuff in her closet, but I'm too lazy to find it all. Dolezal is not some harmless person and she wasn't living a quiet life. She was an activist within the NAACP and very public.

PostPosted: November 14 17, 1:01 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Michael wrote:
I really don't think the transgender vs transracial comparison your making works.

Dolezal is absolutely a terrible person. Here's a few things she's done in no particular order:

1) Fabricated racial hate crimes to increase her authenticity within the NAACP. That's why a reporter fact checked her and Dolezal's folks verified her identity.
2) Made derogatory statements facebook about black men who date white women. Oh the irony.
3) She told the Eastern Washington University student newspaper that she was born in a teepee, hunted food with a bow and was beaten by her parents with a “baboon whip.”
4) Sued Howard in 2002, charging that the historically black school had discriminated against her because she was white, removing her art from an exhibition “to favor African American students.”
5) Lying on applications regarding her race.
6) This facebook nonsense:

Spoiler: show

There's more stuff in her closet, but I'm too lazy to find it all. She's not some harmless person.

Well that list of transgressions does make her look bad. Maybe she's just a POS fraud of a person.

I still think the left has a problem with using white privilege as a bludgeon when more precise language would be more productive. That's basically my point.

PostPosted: November 14 17, 1:40 pm 
Hall Of Famer

The transracial thing seems perfectly positioned to troll liberals. Having to retreat to positions like needing to legitimate identity through some kind of genetics illustrates that well.

Seems to me that the obvious way out is to point out that the salience of race comes not through personal identity but the identity society projects on you.

That said, I'm not sure how significant this whole thing is outside of its ability to get people going.

PostPosted: November 15 17, 6:38 am 
bronoun enthusiast

PostPosted: November 15 17, 3:27 pm 
The Last Word

Those guys should be more accepting.