GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 19 18, 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243
 Post subject: Re: cops
PostPosted: December 17 17, 5:10 pm 
The Last Word

lukethedrifter wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Any suggestions for getting higher-quality individuals to accept these positions?

Any suggestions for expecting these guys to understand their role in society? Though in the Trump era, their role is probably going to be further cemented as ass kickers of those who don’t honor their entitlement.

I wish I did have suggestions. Answering my question with more questions doesn't really move us forward, unfortunately.

My question is rhetorical. Don’t necessarily need “higher quality” people. We need law enforcement as a whole to understand its role in a democracy. Trump and Co don’t help.

Trump doesn't help anything, but this thread and this issue started long before Trump.

I understand that your question was rhetorical. If we're all willing to concede that there is a widespread problem, then let's move forward. I haven't got a clue how to fix it, honestly.

PostPosted: December 17 17, 7:16 pm 
Puppy Murderer

These are off the top of my head so don't take them as impregnable arguments, but:

- Pass laws that lead to there being way fewer guns in the country. If as a country we cease to have guns coming out of our ears, then that should make police safer day to day and result in fewer fear-based, hair-trigger reactions leading to dead citizens.

- Stop funneling ever more of the country's wealth to the richest of the rich. If less of the population is destitute, or just scraping by, or even just underemployed, there's going to be less petty crime, and probably less crime on the aggregate. A less stressed-out population is further from its breaking point, however that breaking point manifests itself(petty crime, domestic violence, etc).

- Change the relationship that our country has with prisons so the judicial system on down isn't rewarded for more people being put in jail. Revamping drug laws would go a long way here as well.

- Pass laws that get rid of the ridiculous incentives around civil forfeiture, the corruption it breeds, and the distrust it sows in the citizenry as a result. You could extend this idea of correcting incentives to make sure things like fines aren't being used to fund city police departments too, but let's start with the most heinous and universally agreed-upon problem in that space.

- More resources for mental health and everything surrounding it. More training and oversight for police, more options for the truly mentally ill who put the police in the least-comfortable positions.

PostPosted: December 18 17, 10:18 am 
tl;dr

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
These are off the top of my head so don't take them as impregnable arguments, but:

- Pass laws that lead to there being way fewer guns in the country. If as a country we cease to have guns coming out of our ears, then that should make police safer day to day and result in fewer fear-based, hair-trigger reactions leading to dead citizens.

- Stop funneling ever more of the country's wealth to the richest of the rich. If less of the population is destitute, or just scraping by, or even just underemployed, there's going to be less petty crime, and probably less crime on the aggregate. A less stressed-out population is further from its breaking point, however that breaking point manifests itself(petty crime, domestic violence, etc).

- Change the relationship that our country has with prisons so the judicial system on down isn't rewarded for more people being put in jail. Revamping drug laws would go a long way here as well.

- Pass laws that get rid of the ridiculous incentives around civil forfeiture, the corruption it breeds, and the distrust it sows in the citizenry as a result. You could extend this idea of correcting incentives to make sure things like fines aren't being used to fund city police departments too, but let's start with the most heinous and universally agreed-upon problem in that space.

- More resources for mental health and everything surrounding it. More training and oversight for police, more options for the truly mentally ill who put the police in the least-comfortable positions.

That all makes too much sense. But of course the reason we're screwed is because I believe a huge step would be to tackle the issue of poverty since I believe that poverty is the largest overall cause of crime by far. The people with the money and the power don't want the issue of poverty to be addressed because that might somehow mean less money for themselves.

PostPosted: December 18 17, 10:39 am 
The Last Word

Those are great ideas for trying to reduce the crime rates, TFT.

I was talking more about trying to get good people into law enforcement, because that seems to be the context of this particular thread.

PostPosted: December 18 17, 10:55 am 
Puppy Murderer

Socnorb11 wrote:
Those are great ideas for trying to reduce the crime rates, TFT.

I was talking more about trying to get good people into law enforcement, because that seems to be the context of this particular thread.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. If you change the surroundings so that being a police officer is a different job with different risks and incentives than it is today, then you attract different people as a result. Not a huge sea change in that doctors and priests start becoming cops, but noticeable.

PostPosted: December 26 17, 6:09 pm 
The Last Word

Just saw where Quincy IL is having a public meeting next week to discuss how they can make their police force more diverse. Seems like a good move.

PostPosted: December 29 17, 6:12 pm 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

This is just all around depressing.

https://compete.kotaku.com/police-kill- ... 1821648110

PostPosted: December 29 17, 7:54 pm 
99% conan clips

cardsfansince82 wrote:
This is just all around depressing.

https://compete.kotaku.com/police-kill- ... 1821648110

learned of this when i got back in to town today. i do not understand the shoot to kill mentality of those meant to protect and serve.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/ ... 44734.html

PostPosted: December 29 17, 8:41 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Socnorb11 wrote:
Just saw where Quincy IL is having a public meeting next week to discuss how they can make their police force more diverse. Seems like a good move.

Quincy is starting to have a lot of problems. There have been a lot of gangs coming in there with drugs and that town is definitely a tale of the haves and have nots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243