GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently February 22 18, 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106  Next
PostPosted: February 13 18, 9:44 am 
99% conan clips

it's disgusting how he gets to merge his BRAND to the american dream, it's ideals, sacrifice, etc. it loses all its meaning.

PostPosted: February 13 18, 9:58 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

pioneer98 wrote:
A libertarian recently told me that we don't have a hunger problem in this country because a lot of poor people are overweight.

Just like we don't have global warming because it still snows a lot. This is all starting to make sense now.

PostPosted: February 13 18, 10:03 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Popeye_Card wrote:
Not sure which thread this should be in, so I'll try here.

They're wanting to replace the food stamp program with a mail order type service instead. On some level, this makes some sense--the government could likely see a lot of efficiencies by buying food in bulk, packaging up, and sending to families directly.

However with this particular administration, it simply comes off as an opportunity for a Trump crony to corner the market on providing these meals.

For every $1 spent on SNAP, $1.79 is generated in the economy. It's a social program that makes money. Any effort to reduce it is a monumental display of rhetorical bad faith and explicit class warfare.

PostPosted: February 13 18, 10:14 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Quote:
SNAP benefits cost $70.9 billion in fiscal year 2016 and supplied roughly 44.2 million Americans (14% of the population) with an average of $125.51 for each person per month in food assistance.

This is what they are slashing.

PostPosted: February 13 18, 10:20 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

PostPosted: February 13 18, 11:23 am 
Consider him admonished

We’re talking about the government here. What could possibly go wrong?

UBI FTW

PostPosted: February 13 18, 11:25 am 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

I'm 90% sure this is all to pander to the rage grandpas that think they saw someone buy better food than them with food stamps.

PostPosted: February 13 18, 11:30 am 
bronoun enthusiast

cardsfansince82 wrote:
I'm 90% sure this is all to pander to the rage grandpas that think they saw someone buy better food than them with food stamps.

And [expletive] white women in yoga pants at trader joe's who have to wait an extra minute when someone in front of them in line has to break their groceries into two transactions for stuff that their EBT card can cover and stuff they have to cover with their debit card.

PostPosted: February 13 18, 12:32 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Tim wrote:

UBI FTW

If you put people in charge of the government who don't believe in it, then it's going to be bad. So you work to elect people who want it to work. The private sector is never going to pick up all the slack and is in fact trying to create slack, so government is here to stay. May as well try to do it better.

PostPosted: February 13 18, 12:42 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

ghostrunner wrote:
Tim wrote:

UBI FTW

If you put people in charge of the government who don't believe in it, then it's going to be bad. So you work to elect people who want it to work. The private sector is never going to pick up all the slack and is in fact trying to create slack, so government is here to stay. May as well try to do it better.

And when this fails, "people in charge of the government who don't believe in it" say once more -"see, government doesn't work." and then in come their friends the privatizers with no accountability...

Same thing going on with public ed to some extent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106  Next