A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 17 18, 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: March 13 18, 1:41 pm 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

There's so much irony in those kinds of posts to me. But, first, a few points:

First, that kind of "evangelism" -- if you can call it that -- is becoming increasingly rare. So, while we have a couple examples of it on this forum over the past few weeks, I wonder if those are just some sort of reaction by old-school churches to Billy Graham's death. Don't know, just spitballing. I can imagine some old-schoolers saying we need to get back to the old ways and get people to a point of decision, you know, because of Billy.

Second, that kind of "evangelism" -- if you can call it that -- has proven, statistically, to be incredibly ineffective. Drive-by evangelism -- that's what it's called -- derives from a premise just one step above those billboards that had a sinner's prayer on them so you could be "saved" just by reading them as you drove down the interstate. Get people to say a prayer or get them to a church and that's enough. Man, I wish this whole Jesus thing was that simple. It would make my job a crap-ton of a lot easier.

In my opinion, as difficult and awkard as drive-by-evangelism is, it's a total cop out and the easy way out of what Christ called Christians to do. The irony in these kinds of practices is that Jesus gave us a very specific model for "evangelism". It's almost 100% relational and service oriented. When you meet someone who receives your "peace" and offers you peace in return, then you share peace together, staying with that person, sharing life together and doing what you can, in your shared peace, to bring healing to them. There's mutual service -- you can really just think of that as hospitality + friendship -- and you don't go from person-to-person or house-to-house once someone "gets it".

Peace, in that case, is the Hebrew concept of Shalom -- or blessing, wholeness, fullness. True "evangelism" is offering yourself to another in friendships that result in wholeness and health. That's the "good news" Jesus offers and calls his followers to proclaim.

See Luke 10. It's laid out very clearly and in great detail.

PostPosted: March 13 18, 3:16 pm 
The Last Word

Great post, Fat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8